General **What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

Pr3no

Aug 25, 2012
Alright my purchase is boiling down to the last minute now.
Xperia S vs Galaxy S2!
The only thing holding me back is Exynos vs S3 Snapdragon!
Also IMO Mali 400 & Adreno 220 are at par, right?

Adreno 220 is better than Mali-400MP. And everything is better in the Xperia S, the resolution, the camera, the hardware and so on.

Reactions: vj_dustin

zexl455

Apr 22, 2011
hello guys, i'm in a dillema right now.
what i can get:
Nokia lumia 710
SG ace 2
Htc windows phone 8s
Htc desire x
Sony xperia go
Sony xperia miro
SG mini 2
Nokia lumia 800
Motorola motolux
Lg optimus l9

From all of these phones i listed, the one i like the most is desire x, but im not sure if thats a good idea since it has a adreno 203 gpu, and i also tend to play a couple of games from time to time. Is the performance of the adreno 203 really that bad?
Out of all of these phones, which one would you suggest?

Thanks in advance :)

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
Re: **DEVICE SUGGESTION THREAD** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

hello guys, i'm in a dillema right now.
what i can get:
Nokia lumia 710
SG ace 2
Htc windows phone 8s
Htc desire x
Sony xperia go
Sony xperia miro
SG mini 2
Nokia lumia 800
Motorola motolux
Lg optimus l9

From all of these phones i listed, the one i like the most is desire x, but im not sure if thats a good idea since it has a adreno 203 gpu, and i also tend to play a couple of games from time to time. Is the performance of the adreno 203 really that bad?
Out of all of these phones, which one would you suggest?

Thanks in advance :)

You should narrow that list down. There are two much devices there.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

zexl455

Apr 22, 2011
Narrowed down :
Sg ace 2
Desire x
Lg l9

Design wise, i find the desire x much better than the other two.
But performance wise, adreno 203 vs mali and sgx+more ram...
Is the adreno really that bad compared to the other two?

shusain93

Jan 25, 2013
**REQUEST**

I'm looking to get an Android watch (That I can root, and all that jazz) So far I have been looking towards getting a Motoactv. Is there a better watch I can get? I just want an Android watch that I can get my GoogleVoice texts on and play some Android games

Lt.Win

Aug 20, 2011
Mumbai

Alright my purchase is boiling down to the last minute now.
Xperia S vs Galaxy S2!
The only thing holding me back is Exynos vs S3 Snapdragon!
Also IMO Mali 400 & Adreno 220 are at par, right?

Xperia S Ftw! If you buy it meet me at the forums in May or something.

Adreno >> Mali. Everything like screen and camera is good. You have CM10 to suit your needs and Official JB coming soon in April.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: vj_dustin

ajmc1

Jan 30, 2013
which device i should buy???

hello all...

I'm in a dilemma which device should i buy. i prefer sony. and my budget is for a low end or mid range droid. xperia sola temps me a lot. but i doubt about its battery. what about xperia go? please suggest. also tell me if there are any droids of another make in this range.

your help will be highly appreciated.

K3n H1mur4

Hi there, I'm about to get some cash from my former employer, and I'm looking for two devices: first one is a nice Android phone, HD screen, at least 16GB internal storage, at least an dual-core Snapdragon S4 (I really don't care about dual or quad-core, but it HAS to be a Cortex-A15 phone, so I can keep it for the next 2 years or something close to this) and, of course, at least 1GB of RAM. The other device I want is an Android tablet with the best cost/benefit one can get, with at least a 1.2 GHz dual-core CPU (can be cortex-A9, in this case), HD screen, 1GB of RAM, 16GB+ internal memory. Other useful information:
1 - No need for memory card slot on neither device, but it would be nice;
2 - For the tablet, I'm OK with chinese-branded, given it's not a complete crap;
3 - Also for the tablet, no need for 3G capabilities - it would be nice, but I rather have a lower price than 3G;
4 - For the phone, no need for LTE support. Here in Brazil we still don't have 4G cover in most places, and even 3G is crappy, so I'm ok with the latter;
5 - Both devices MUST have a nice community support, here in XDA or in other forums (I'm aware of the great chinese tablet support given on SlateDroid, i.e.).

For now, the best options I came were Nexus 4 (I'm absolutely in love with this phone since it launched, so I might be blind for other options - plus, it's kinda impossible to get it through Play Store and people selling this on eBay are asking absurdly high prices) and Ainol Fire (this I can get for around US$130 and both Ainol itself and the community seem to be giving nice support for it). Anyone has better suggestions? I'm limited to around US$700 on budget for both devices, and getting them brand new would be very important (though I can live with an used unit), so take these points in consideration for your suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Lt.Win

Aug 20, 2011
Mumbai

You delayed your purchase to May? :/

Well, just for names sake. When my board exams end on 27th March, I'll do my best to get it near the start of April. But no guarantees. It depends on my dad. :/

zexl455

Apr 22, 2011
Narrowed down :
Sg ace 2
Desire x
Lg l9

Design wise, i find the desire x much better than the other two.
But performance wise, adreno 203 vs mali and sgx+more ram...
Is the adreno really that bad compared to the other two?

bump, anyone has any opinions? I'm getting the phone today and still aren't sure which one i should get..

NHS2008

Jul 24, 2010
Mumbai
bump, anyone has any opinions? I'm getting the phone today and still aren't sure which one i should get..

I would get LG L9. Better res, more ram, better gpu has NFC, Larger IPS display RECORDS 1080p compared t Desire Xs 480p!
Ace 2 is out if question. Also consider Galaxy S3 mini or advance if you want samsung.

zexl455

Apr 22, 2011
I would get LG L9. Better res, more ram, better gpu has NFC, Larger IPS display RECORDS 1080p compared t Desire Xs 480p!
Ace 2 is out if question. Also consider Galaxy S3 mini or advance if you want samsung.

The only thing I dislike with the L9 is it's huge screen size and basically almost no custom roms for it. I definetly don't want to be stuck with the stock rom.
I read somewhere that Desire x's specs are good enough for 720p recording, but htc decided to disable it and that it is just a software issue. Is it possible that desirex users may get 720p recording with custom roms?

Jan 29, 2013
Utrecht
The only thing I dislike with the L9 is it's huge screen size and basically almost no custom roms for it. I definetly don't want to be stuck with the stock rom.
I read somewhere that Desire x's specs are good enough for 720p recording, but htc decided to disable it and that it is just a software issue. Is it possible that desirex users may get 720p recording with custom roms?

Are you willing to wait for it (with the possibility that it never happens)? I'd go for the L9 better specs, you'll have to learn to live with the bigger screen (never been a bad thing for me personally). If you can live without (none at all available?) custom rom is an answer you can only answer yourself.

erdal67

Nov 1, 2012

Hey wich phone is best for gaming(mc4,gta vc)
-htc desire C
-LG optimus 2x
-LG optimus L5 / L7
-htc desire HD/S
-htc sensation

Dutch

jugg1es

May 29, 2012

Aside from the Nexus 7 what tablet would you suggest for no more than £200 sterling, 7-10 inch screen with sdcard slot.

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
Confucius

Lt.Win

Aug 20, 2011
Mumbai

Hey wich phone is best for gaming(mc4,gta vc)
-htc desire C
-LG optimus 2x
-LG optimus L5 / L7
-htc desire HD/S
-htc sensation

Dutch

Sensation, hands down.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Doesn't Xperia P fall in that range?

Oh and if removable battery and SD Card slot matters to you, go for S2. It's been on your list since the beginning and I seriously recommend you go for it then. Xperia S is awesome, but for many, the above points do matter. Do also note that XS has pointy edges, so they may hurt. It has a flimsy back cover, so it MAY cause problems. I always use cases so it isn't a problem for me.

Good luck and see you in XS forums soon, if you buy it. :D

vj_dustin

Dec 7, 2010
uktopgear.blogspot.com
Oh and if removable battery and SD Card slot matters to you, go for S2. It's been on your list since the beginning and I seriously recommend you go for it then. Xperia S is awesome, but for many, the above points do matter. Do also note that XS has pointy edges, so they may hurt. It has a flimsy back cover, so it MAY cause problems. I always use cases so it isn't a problem for me.

Good luck and see you in XS forums soon, if you buy it. :D

Since the 20000 price tag i was looking at comes with sellers warranty not manufacturers, i'm yet again at the S crossroad! -_-
I think i should get my lazy ass to store now, or should I now just get the Galaxy Grand XD
Damn buying a phone is like the toughest job!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking for a phone that has more than 3 main custom roms and good gps. (using Poco M3 Pro 5G rn)

Phones whose latest versions are supported by atleast 3+ official custom roms:​

More and more device manufacturers are delaying the release of their ROM builds to the open source community, leaving us with a handful of device manufacturers who are very generous - and for whom custom ROM builds are sprawling with official websites. Here are the 7 devices you can confidently buy, who support official custom ROM support - published after filtering 12 active official custom ROM websites -
    1. paranoid
    2. Lineage
    3. evolution
    4. pixel experience
    5. Calyx
    6. Graphene os
    7. Elixir
    8. crdroid
    9. bliss OS
    10. Ubuntu touch
    11. AlphaDroid
    12. Rising OSS

The 7 device series - that will surely provide 3+ official rom support in future:

1. Redmi note series - Note 12 /note 12 turbo/ 12r pro - supported by 8 official custom ROMS
    2. Xiaomi Mi series - Mi 12/12r - by 4 official custom ROMS; Mi 13/13 pro - 1 official custom ROM supported
    3. Poco X series - X5/X5 pro - 6 official custom roms
    4. Poco M series - M5 - 4 official custom roms; M6/M6 Pro - 2 official custom Roms
    5. Poco F series - F5 - 4 official custom roms
    6. Nothing Phone - Phone 2 - 3 custom roms ; Phone 1 - 6 official custom ROMS
    7. Pixel phones - 10+ active official custom ROMS available for latest pixel.

Detailed analysis of these 7 devices with their present state of custom ROM development, attached as a pdf

- to help you navigate and search the latest ROMS easier/ to keep/ edit/ update as a personal guide.

Obviously latest Oneplus, samsung device custom ROM development has stalled. Unofficial release only exist for them.
    Official ROM support for Oneplus stopped with Oneplus 9 series, for Samsung with s10 series. No more official custom ROMS for them at the moment. Unofficial ones do exist.

Based on your budgets and preferences, go for it.
    Cheers!
    I didn't see a notification for your reply (well, I guess it doesn't send one if you only make an edit) - but thank you.

I have the device now, still in box, I haven't touched it yet. I want to make 100% sure that I have one of the "correct" models that is fully unlocked and and whatever else. How can I be absolutely certain?

On the box it has:
    SKU: GA03694-US
    Model: GWKK3

Got it from amazon.ca (shipped and sold by amazon.ca, as I think I mentioned), and I'm in canada (obviously).
    I'm not sure if looking up the IMEI would give any more information (that would identify it as an unlocked model).

Edit. Forgot, I checked here for any info on if it's an unlocked model. No mention.: https://www.phonemore.com/specs/google/pixel-7a/gwkk3/

Maybe I should've posted this in the Pixel 7a forum...
    Thank you.
    That's a North American unlocked variant, all good :) you should be just fine. There are lots of great ROMs for the 7a.
    Ok. Thanks so much for your help, and the speedy reply too, @traman124. I appreciate it.
    I might actually try out the "stock" software first. I'm thinking about calyx os. But now you have me wondering what else might be out there. So I'll have a search around to see what there is. Maybe I can learn how to better search here on the xda forums for that, haha.

Thanks again.
    You're welcome! I love EvolutionX, LOS, and Calyx for now but there are lots of others :)
    dont forget AlphaDroid!!!!! and RisingTechOSS
    On it mate.. .will add it in the list!
    Pleased to hear mate.

Does it apply to redmi phones too?
    Yes, but only in China for now... Some people in other Asian countries have also seen these new restrictions but not everyone has. It'll be instated everywhere else eventually though...
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)