[Q] SuperOneClick freezes while rooting

Search This thread
SuperOneClick 2.3.3 freezes on my computer when I try to root my phone. I ran it twice with the same result. It freezes on Step 7.

Phone:
Samsung i897 Captivate
OS: Android 2.3.5 (GINGERBREAD.UCKK4) upgraded with Kies mini from 2.2 (Froyo)

Computer:

Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone suggest another way to root my phone?

4-2ndtwin

Dec 18, 2010
Corn Kernel version 7.0A ---- look in the Development Forum.

Flash it through Odin or Heimdall. Then reboot into the CWM Recovery. There is an option to obtain Root there.
Done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium

Reactions: remmons and Red_81

Flash it through Odin or Heimdall. Then reboot into the CWM Recovery. There is an option to obtain Root there.
Done.

Thanks for the info. If I follow this procedure, will all the factory installed software (Google Play, Messaging, Contacts, Music Play, Gallery, etc.) disappear?

4-2ndtwin

Dec 18, 2010
Nope.

But once u r Rooted u can get rid of bloat that u don't want...through Titanium Backup Pro, etc.

Here is the link to the Corn Kernel thread...http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18233847&postcount=1

Here is Odin if u need it... View attachment 1038976

Download and then open Odin, select the PDA slot, navigate to the .tar 7.0A Corn Kernel that u downloaded to ur pc and select it, connect usb end of ur cable to the pc, put ur phone in download mode, connect micro usb end to ur phone, after Odin recognizes it hit the Start.
Takes less than 10 seconds to flash the kernel.
Disconnect after the Pass, which indicates a successful flash. Remove the cable from ur phone. Reboot into the CWM Recovery. Go to "Reformatting, tweaks and more". Goto "Install Root / Extras". Then select "Install Superuser and Busybox (root)". Reboot.

Rooted and good to go. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: remmons
Nope.

Download and then open Odin, select the PDA slot, navigate to the .tar 7.0A Corn Kernel that u downloaded to ur pc and select it, connect usb end of ur cable to the pc, put ur phone in download mode, connect micro usb end to ur phone, after Odin recognizes it hit the Start.
Disconnect after the Pass, which indicates a successful flash. Remove the cable from ur phone. Reboot into the CWM Recovery. Go to "Reformatting, tweaks and more". Goto "Install Root / Extras". Then select "Install Superuser and Busybox (root)". Reboot.

Thanks again for the info. I finally got around to rooting my phone, and everything went perfectly. I used Corn Kernel 7.06.

There are instructions here (androidforums.com/captivate-all-things-root/493850-guide-rooting-adding-cwm-recovery-2-3-5-corn-kernel.html) which detail the same method as you recommended. They are very detailed, and include screen shots.

edm4

Jan 2, 2013
thanks!

Thank you for putting this script together. I'm new to all this, and it helped me feel more confident trying this out. It all worked fine until the end, when the batch script was saying I should be selecting items from the recovery mode menu. My phone had rebooted into normal mode. I tried to run the script again, and the phone was not recognized, and then became locked into downloading mode. I though I had killed it. After trying many other things, I pushed the buttons to manually enter recovery mode and it turned off, after which I could turn the phone on again, at least. There's no superuser app, so I guess the root wasn't successful, but on startup the screen does say something about the corn kernel, so something was loaded. I'm not sure what to do at this point, except maybe just leave it alone since it seems to be working. If there's a final step that would complete the process, I'd be glad to know it.

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
Thank you for putting this script together. I'm new to all this, and it helped me feel more confident trying this out. It all worked fine until the end, when the batch script was saying I should be selecting items from the recovery mode menu. My phone had rebooted into normal mode. I tried to run the script again, and the phone was not recognized, and then became locked into downloading mode. I though I had killed it. After trying many other things, I pushed the buttons to manually enter recovery mode and it turned off, after which I could turn the phone on again, at least. There's no superuser app, so I guess the root wasn't successful, but on startup the screen does say something about the corn kernel, so something was loaded. I'm not sure what to do at this point, except maybe just leave it alone since it seems to be working. If there's a final step that would complete the process, I'd be glad to know it.

To complete your root, go in recovery -> advance and root.

If you're uncertain if you're rooted, try to run a app like Titanium Backup, which requires root.

Reactions: 4-2ndtwin

DreadSpider

Jun 27, 2013
sort of the same problem..

SuperOneClick froze the first time I used it at step 7 for two hours I tried it again and it my Computer and my phone shut off
My phone rebooted(It did not root) But everytime I try to boot my laptop my startup repair program comes up and after about twenty minutes
it says "a program you recently installed is preventing your computer from starting" I cant find anyone else having this problem. I Havent installed any other program recently, so can someone help me out here? I downloaded it from shortfuse.

phone: Huawei y200

Laptop OS: Windows 7 Pro Service Pack 1

SuperOneClick froze the first time I used it at step 7 for two hours I tried it again and it my Computer and my phone shut off
My phone rebooted(It did not root) But everytime I try to boot my laptop my startup repair program comes up and after about twenty minutes
it says "a program you recently installed is preventing your computer from starting" I cant find anyone else having this problem. I Havent installed any other program recently, so can someone help me out here? I downloaded it from shortfuse.

phone: Huawei y200

Laptop OS: Windows 7 Pro Service Pack 1

I assume your priority is to get your laptop working again. If you can get it to boot at all or boot into safe mode, I would probably do a "System Restore" on it. That may sound a little scary, but I have system restored various computers quite a few times without problems. A system restore should not be done lightly, but it sounds like your laptop is kind of trashed. A system restore does not take very long, and is fairly easy:

* Close all programs
* Click Start, then Control Panel, then System (see below)
* Click "Advanced System Settings"
* Click "System Protection"
* Click "System Restore"
* You may see a "Recommended Restore". You may see a list of restore points.
* Select the most recent restore point (that should be prior to your SuperOneClick install)
* You can click "Scan for affected Programs" if you want. SuperOneClick should be among those that will be deleted
* Click "Next" to restore the computer
* If you installed any other programs after the restore point, you will have to re-install them
* Your documents and data should not be affected

After starting the system restore, you may have to wait 5 or 10 minutes. Do not shut the computer off, or do anything else on the computer. Let it run. The computer will run, and re-boot. When it re-boots, Windows should have restored it to the same condition as before it got messed up.

Depending on how your computer is set up, the System launch Icon may not be directly on your control panel display. You might have to drill down to get it.

You can set up system restore points manually, and it is a good idea to do that before you install any program that you may have any doubts about. Some programs automatically set up a system restore point when you install them, but many do not.

Good luck, and let me know how you make out.

EnigmaticPhantasm

Jul 20, 2013
Spokane
Nope.

But once u r Rooted u can get rid of bloat that u don't want...through Titanium Backup Pro, etc.

Here is the link to the Corn Kernel thread...http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18233847&postcount=1

For some reason I'm not finding this anywhere else; so...I used odin and followed the steps exactly. I got everything done, had my phone in download mode and everything, but for some reason...Odin doesn't pass my flash???
I'm a massive noob, so I'm sure I sound stupid right now but trail and error is how one learns, however I've done this trial and error quite a few times now and nothings working for me.

I've tried SuperOneClick and it froze.

I have an LG Escape 4.0.4
Can you maybe tell me what I can do to root my device because I'm so lost it's just ridiculous.
cErRTlT.jpg

EnigmaticPhantasm

Jul 20, 2013
Spokane
Are you trying to kill your device by flashing a wrong kernel!? :confused:

I don't have any idea what I'm supposed to be doing here so I guess if you want to get technical, I suppose that was the case, yes.
I searched how to root my android device and this is what I was reading all over google so I just did what it said.
Apparently that was wrong, which is why I'm here.

Care to remedy my situation? You know more than I do and I'd appreciate the help.

4-2ndtwin

Dec 18, 2010
Don't think there is a forum for the LG Escape but a quick search turned up this...http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33752762&postcount=1. It is a start for ya. Now the rest u will have to do on ur own. I suggest a lot of reading and understanding before u do stuff and possibly make ur phone into a paperweight. :thumbup:
There is a lot of helpful info here on xda. Just take time to read and comprehend.
:beer:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: EnigmaticPhantasm

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Done.

Nope.

For future readers, you can use the utility in my signature to help you do the same thing.

To complete your root, go in recovery -> advance and root.

If you're uncertain if you're rooted, try to run a app like Titanium Backup, which requires root.
    I have an LG Escape 4.0.4

Are you trying to kill your device by flashing a wrong kernel!? :confused: