514 posts
Thanks Meter: 126

By kloud_, Senior Member on 7th September 2011, 10:38 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
13th September 2011, 12:48 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 5

Donate to Me
More
My head scratching days are over. Thank you.

13th September 2011, 01:11 PM |#22  
Flag Compton
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hello. My First post on the forum. This is very useful thread. Thank u so much. I been reading the forum for a while and would come across words/terms that totally make sense to me now. Haha... I'm a noob to the rooted phone scene and rooted my phone with help and guides of present and past posts. Thanks again. Keep up the great work.

Sent from my EvO4g using xda premium
13th September 2011, 04:24 PM |#23  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chandigarh (UT)

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by so.say.we.all

My head scratching days are over. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBeastieIbe

Hello. My First post on the forum. This is very useful thread. Thank u so much. I been reading the forum for a while and would come across words/terms that totally make sense to me now. Haha... I'm a noob to the rooted phone scene and rooted my phone with help and guides of present and past posts. Thanks again. Keep up the great work.

Sent from my EvO4g using xda premium

you're welcome!!

if there are any other terms you need to get added in here... please lemme know via PM!!
14th September 2011, 08:31 PM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 967

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kloud_

Thanks... it stands for death but I liked the way it sounds so didn't change what OmegaRED^ had suggested!

in my opinion if you're making a dictionary (& it's a sticky) you better stick with what's correct & not what sounds the way you like

& not only white light of DOOM(?) I also haven't seen R-R-L: Red Rolling LED & G-LS: Green LED Steady anywhere else except in this dictionary so...

Good work nevertheless kloud_
14th September 2011, 08:33 PM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
nice work .thx
15th September 2011, 04:14 PM |#26  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chandigarh (UT)

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by riginal

in my opinion if you're making a dictionary (& it's a sticky) you better stick with what's correct & not what sounds the way you like

& not only white light of DOOM(?) I also haven't seen R-R-L: Red Rolling LED & G-LS: Green LED Steady anywhere else except in this dictionary so...

Good work nevertheless kloud_

Amends made!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomek304

nice work .thx

Always happy to help!!
The Following User Says Thank You to kloud_ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kloud_ Ad-Free
17th September 2011, 07:55 AM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 967

More
Swap:

Swap is, in short, virtual RAM. With swap, a small portion of the hard drive is set aside and used like RAM. The computer will attempt to keep as much information as possible in RAM until the RAM is full. At that point, the computer will begin moving inactive blocks of memory (called pages) to the hard disk, freeing up RAM for active processes. If one of the pages on the hard disk needs to be accessed again, it will be moved back into RAM, and a different inactive page in RAM will be moved onto the hard disk ('swapped'). The trade off is disks and SD cards are considerably slower than physical RAM, so when something needs to be swapped, there is a noticeable performance hit.

Unlike traditional swap, Android's Memory Manager kills inactive processes to free up memory. Android signals to the process, then the process will usually write out a small bit of specific information about its state (for example, Google Maps may write out the map view coordinates; Browser might write the URL of the page being viewed) and then the process exits. When you next access that application, it is restarted: the application is loaded from storage, and retrieves the state information that it saved when it last closed. In some applications, this makes it seem as if the application never closed at all. This is not much different from traditional swap, except that Android apps are specially programed to write out very specific information, making Android's Memory Manager more efficient that swap.

Compcache:

Compcache (compressed caching) is, in short, virtual swap, setting aside a certain percentage (usually 25%) of your RAM as 'compressed' swap. Compcache compresses the data that would normally go to swap, then moves it back into RAM, and reverses the process when moving it out of the 'compressed' swap. However, this is a classic space-time tradeoff. You effectively get more RAM from the compression, but it is slower than 'normal' RAM due to the CPU time required to compress and decompress the swapped pages.

Source: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com
The Following User Says Thank You to riginal For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift riginal Ad-Free
17th September 2011, 06:10 PM |#28  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chandigarh (UT)

Donate to Me
More
ahhh... was looking for that... just wasn't getting the time!!

thanks for the info riginal!!
18th September 2011, 09:17 PM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Nice, many thanks
21st September 2011, 04:35 AM |#30  
Flag Panamá
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Thank you ! It was very usefull.
22nd September 2011, 09:27 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Thumbs up thank you
Thank you! Finally I understand some things!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android terminology, androiddictionary

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)