FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Stop!!!before you post - read this now!!!

3,352 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,337
 
By -PiLoT-, Retired Senior Moderator on 30th August 2010, 02:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
31st August 2010, 06:50 PM |#21  
Senior Member
Flag Göteborg
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by -PiLoT-

i see your point

but they all have the issue of 2.1 at their core which means theyre all essentially the same issue

and under the same pressure from people asking me to close threads and new threads opened. i called it the way i see it

Agreed, it's your call. You're the moderator and all I can do is voice my opinion on it.

However, currently the biggest, non-dev, topic is the upcoming update. So talking about it is just natural. The problem isn't really that the 2.1 update is being talked about but rather the format. Out of all the traffic about 2.1 there's very little substance, most of it is really just badly hidden flames and people whining about 1.6. The duplicate posts are relatively easy to avoid so it's really a non-issue.

If I'd been moderating I'd employ a zero tolerance policy on flames and criticism that isn't constructive. For example:

Topics whining about low in-call volume? Bad.
Topics about low in-call volume with discussions on possible ways to improve it? Good.
Topics saying that the X10 doesn't support MT? Bad.
Topics talking about MT, the hardware related to it and reasonable discussions about the possibility of it on the X10? Good.

I could go on but I hope you see my point. The problem isn't really with the topics but rather how they are approached. Like the numerous topics about people getting rid of the X10 are completely useless, this is a forum for people who use the X10.

A forum about this phone that disallows talking about possible hardware capabilities or updates isn't a good forum. A better (imo) approach would be to simply follow the forum rules. They're pretty clear on the subject of flaming. Although it might mean more work for moderators I think it would improve the tone of the forums.
 
 
31st August 2010, 07:58 PM |#22  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
The problem is very simple there are multiple threads about the same thing. To solve the problem there could be one sticky created for each recurring topic like:

2.1 Update News/Discussion
MT Discussion/News

If done this way any thread outside the sticky could be deleted or posts moved into the appropriate sticky. Posts within the right topic telling people to stop whining/flaming can be deleted.
31st August 2010, 10:00 PM |#23  
im_iceman's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Alsager
Thanks Meter: 131
 
More
Well if I was Mod for a day...

I'd give one warning for creating a duplicate thread... and then for a second instance of rule breaking booooomm.. your barred.

So I reckon you've all got it easy with PiLoT and CVChetan.

I'm really sick of ploughing through all the duplicate/ useless/ no information/ no value threads that some people seem to think is okay to post on here.

It's time to crack that whip!

!!!! ;) !!!!
31st August 2010, 11:50 PM |#24  
gavriel18's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
@pilot
This is not a personal attack. I am only trying to provide constructive criticism.

I'm with iead1. I think there is way too much moderation going on here. You have deleted many posts (i would love to see a definitive number) and not just mine.
Edit: that's wrong two or three sorry deleted
When i joined this forum it was the same as today, lots of stupid posts and threads. But no one closed them. This is the nature of the internet and society.

When people become faceless (like on a forum or a mob on a street) they do things they wouldn't normally do. Just because you warn them in a sticky doesn't mean they will magically start listening.

My suggestion to you is sit back and relax like the other mods and when things get out of hand (personal attacks,etc) step in. Otherwise just laugh, that's what i do when i see the taboo topics or flames.

Did you stop to think maybe you missed something in your moderation? It was made obvious earlier in this thread.

In conclusion, i really appreciate you trying to make xda a better place but i think you're going the wrong way about it. Why not warn people with pm's or edits to posts? And flaming can be a good thing sometimes. I remember the first time i got flamed. I was slightly upset but in retrospect i deserved it. And i learned from it. And to take care of the flamers (no pun intended) (but i guess with that little quip I'm breaking some rules ) pm them, if that doesn't work ban them.

I will now step off my soapbox

Edit: no offense Josh if you read this, you know I'm not prejudice.
1st September 2010, 12:08 AM |#25  
Izzy_Deadyet's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by -PiLoT-

by no means is my moderating heavy handed

the thread 2.1 Eclair Date Confirmed was closed becuase that piece of information was provided previously in the thread Android 2.1 week 38 which you would have realised if you had searched and read the forum before blindly accusing me of heavy handed moderating

also when you take into consideration

2.1 over 1.6 benefits

So you closed this thread, that users were talking in, because 1 person was in there with a bad attitude. Some sort of Twitter fanboy that thought this was the main reason 2.1 was better.

Maybe an idea would have been to PM him and tell him if he wasn't interested in the thread then don't view it?
1st September 2010, 12:09 AM |#26  
Izzy_Deadyet's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_iceman

Well if I was Mod for a day...

I'd give one warning for creating a duplicate thread... and then for a second instance of rule breaking booooomm.. your barred.

So I reckon you've all got it easy with PiLoT and CVChetan.

I'm really sick of ploughing through all the duplicate/ useless/ no information/ no value threads that some people seem to think is okay to post on here.

It's time to crack that whip!

!!!! ;) !!!!

“Useless, no information, no value” is a fairly redundant statement which in turn would make it useless, no?

I can understand that duplicates are a pain; some searching should be done first. Deleting threads simply because it isn’t meeting yours or some mods “standards”? Really?

Not everyone here is on the same technological level so threads that may seem useless to some people may be of great interest to others.

I didn’t realize until now that XDA is for elitist only.

BTW I’ve conquered all of my battery issues, car charger issues, SIP issues so if a mod could delete all of the related posts it would be great because now they just annoy me and waste my time.

Forums are powered by users, right?
1st September 2010, 01:35 AM |#27  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
More
This forum is mostly for developers and light discussion. I for one applaud -PiLoT- because we're all adults and have been on the interwebz long enough to know how to flip through a couple pages to see if our question has already been posted and/or addressed. I'm tired of seeing n00b threads with questions that are already answered in pinned topics. There are already a lot of inane threads going in the x10 sub-forum already and repetitive ones. XDA is Not howardforums.
1st September 2010, 01:55 AM |#28  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy_Deadyet

“Useless, no information, no value” is a fairly redundant statement which in turn would make it useless, no?

I can understand that duplicates are a pain; some searching should be done first. Deleting threads simply because it isn’t meeting yours or some mods “standards”? Really?

You kinda refuted your own complaint there.

Quote:

Not everyone here is on the same technological level so threads that may seem useless to some people may be of great interest to others.

Which is fine because there are many helpful and patient members that answer elementary questions.

Quote:

I didn’t realize until now that XDA is for elitist only.

It isn't elitist, but there's also nothing wrong with keeping the signal to noise ratio low.

Quote:

BTW I’ve conquered all of my battery issues, car charger issues, SIP issues so if a mod could delete all of the related posts it would be great because now they just annoy me and waste my time.

False equivalency. Those issues are easily solved and also aren't spammed on a daily basis with similar topics on the front page. Even when the phone was initially released, we weren't inundated with several battery issue topics that flooded the front page.

Quote:

Forums are powered by users, right?

Yes, but with low signal to noise ratios, otherwise, the forum will sink.
1st September 2010, 07:31 AM |#29  
Member
Flag Aarhus
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by -PiLoT-

i see your point

but they all have the issue of 2.1 at their core which means theyre all essentially the same issue

and under the same pressure from people asking me to close threads and new threads opened. i called it the way i see it

also there was mention of "if i want real service ill go to another site site and this site is only good for roms root and development well this site is called xda-DEVELOPERS we do mainly appeal to developers and its only recently its catered more to end users

IF you all think there should be one topic on the release of 2.1 then i will create and sticky a thread for the talk of 2.1 only

Thats a very good idea and good moderation, instead of banding keep it at one place great
1st September 2010, 06:37 PM |#30  
im_iceman's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Alsager
Thanks Meter: 131
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy_Deadyet

“Useless, no information, no value” is a fairly redundant statement which in turn would make it useless, no?

I can understand that duplicates are a pain; some searching should be done first. Deleting threads simply because it isn’t meeting yours or some mods “standards”? Really?

Not everyone here is on the same technological level so threads that may seem useless to some people may be of great interest to others.

I didn’t realize until now that XDA is for elitist only.

BTW I’ve conquered all of my battery issues, car charger issues, SIP issues so if a mod could delete all of the related posts it would be great because now they just annoy me and waste my time.

Forums are powered by users, right?

Now you're making some big assumptions about what I consider to be useless...

@will.m... cheers buddy!
3rd September 2010, 10:43 AM |#31  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Sigh, now that you got rid of the useless 2.1 topics, they went starting with 2.2...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes