FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Virgin Mobile EVO V 4G MHL to DVI

7 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By experimentfailed, Junior Member on 5th April 2013, 01:16 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi...sorry if this is the wrong place, but from my understanding they are the same phone and I didn't see any category specifically for the evo v...

At any rate, so I bought an ikross mhl to dvi adapter, hoping to connect my phone to an 18" LCD I have, but so far no luck with any of 3 monitors. I've connected the phone to a wall charger and tried hooking it up in different orders, to no avail...basically have followed every suggestion I can find.

I've now purchased an mhl to hdmi adapter from newegg for my TV and hopefully will at least verify the general functionality is working (when it arrives on the Monday following this post), but eventually would prefer it on the monitor. I also bought an HDMI to DVI adapter, just as a long shot.

I scoured google before I bought the adapter and every indication seemed like it should work fine, and now have scoured google + these forums again, but just not really finding much info related to my specific hardware.

The phone is rooted, running the latest Harmonia rom and is S-ON...I don't think that would affect it, as everything else on the phone so far has worked flawlessly, however, can't rule it out. There is a guide floating around on how to "turn the evo v into a evo 3d", so if this is rom-related, it's something to try? Requires going S-OFF, but even if it didn't fix anything, at least I'd get the radio updates. But again, from my understanding, the hardware is identical and this phone should be able to do standard mhl, so i assumed mhl to dvi should work as well, but I'm a little unsure about the standards...

Any insight is greatly appreciated and as I always do, if I find a solution, I will post

8th April 2013, 08:05 PM |#2  
OP Junior Member

More
Still a no-go with an MHL to HDMI adapter, connected to my TV. The closest I came, was the phone went into dock mode if I didn't have the charger connected. Oh and if I unplugged the HDMI cable from the adapter, the TV would say check cable...So the TV was aware that a device was connected, thus it seems the issue lies in the phone.

Anybody have any idea what I could be missing? This /should/ work - the Virgin Mobile site even lists hdmi output as a feature of this phone, but no further mention in the manual and as I said in the OP, spotty info around the web

UPDATE: Just tried it with a monitor again, using an HDMI to DVI adapter, with the new MHL to HDMI adapter, and it almost wants to work - the monitor stays awake (not saying "no signal") and the phone registers that it's connected via hdmi, but the most picture I can get on the screen is but a flash when I change the phone's orientation =/
9th April 2013, 08:31 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
A second hdmi mhl adapter that I had ordered arrived today (was not expecting it for a month or I wouldn't have bought the other one...oops) and it works on the tv w/ full mirroring

Still a no-go on the monitor - it does the same as the other adapter. The phone and monitor both know it's connected, but only occasionally flashes of video appear and rather than any mirroring, the phone just says "play a video or slideshow" (which does not work).

So I guess the moral of the story: if you have an HTC EVO V 4G from Virgin Mobile (which is more or less the same phone as the EVO 3D) and you want to hook it up to a computer monitor: good luck! I mean, I'll test some more with other monitors on this new adapter but not getting my hopes up. Will post any positive findings, tho...

On the other hand, if you want to hook it up to a TV, it's just a matter of finding the right adapter...in my case, it was pretty much luck of the draw. One worked; the other did not. Maybe the other one will magically start working or will work with one of the new TVs I bought, but we'll see...

Anyway, here is the specific adapter that is working for me: not allowed to post links. Sorry! You all lose. Thank you spammers.
28th May 2013, 10:35 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 195

More
you also need to be on jellybean, or higher for the hdmi to work I do believe, otherwise the phone os if below doesnt recognize or work for hdmi out. the jellybean update made it so anyphone with micro usb out should be able to connect to hdmi with the mhl adapter.
28th May 2013, 10:43 PM |#5  
I think its simply a matter of analog vs digital video signal. A computer monitor will need a digital video signal but a TV will be happy with either analog or digital. And I'd guess the output of the MHL adapter is analog.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)