From XDA & the Moderators What this New Forum Is

Search This thread

drkalo

Jul 13, 2009
Sofia
I'm also not really impressed by the logic of the new structure. If it's necessary to split up the development forum why not according to subjects? E. g. a forum for kernels, one for roms, one for mods... this would be far more logical than the current solution. For example, why is the goku kernel in development and notecore and speedmod are in original development? Or the stock rom thread, what is "original development" about this thread? It's nothing more than a collection of stock roms. If that's "real" development I'm a developer to, I'm perfectly able to download roms from sammobile.com and post them here :) But it's not my forum/ website so I cannot do anything more than express my opinion. If the powers to be don't agree that's ok.

Sent from my Galaxy Note running ICS
Couldn't agree more! Kernel/rom sections would be better. ... Make a poll of you're interested in the users' opinion.

Last edited:

iiiox

Feb 13, 2006
Kaohsiung
I'm also not really impressed by the logic of the new structure. If it's necessary to split up the development forum why not according to subjects? E. g. a forum for kernels, one for roms, one for mods... this would be far more logical than the current solution. For example, why is the goku kernel in development and notecore and speedmod are in original development? Or the stock rom thread, what is "original development" about this thread? It's nothing more than a collection of stock roms. If that's "real" development I'm a developer to, I'm perfectly able to download roms from sammobile.com and post them here :) But it's not my forum/ website so I cannot do anything more than express my opinion. If the powers to be don't agree that's ok.

Can't agree with you anymore!
It's really easy to understand if the purpose to divide the forum is for EVERYONE's good.

Reactions: syam81

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is Our new forum.

XDA, the moderators and the powers that be.... have been wrestling with trying to differentiate the Difference between the Code-writing Development and the Quasi-developers that use rom cooking tools or are just porting roms.

To that end we will be going through the development threads in the next couple of weeks and moving the appropriate threads that meet the original code requirement to be placed in this new forum.

Please bear in mind that this is a "Work in Progress" and will take a bit of time to hone and perfect what goes where.

Also, please understand that this does not mean that some developers are on some special pedestal. That is not the case.

I will use an analogy to explain:

A music composer writes an original piece of music. The music composition may be awesome... but his performance of it, may not.
    Such often is the case in developers..... often someone comes up with a awesome idea or new code application, but it often ends up being perfected by the use of others putting their creative spin on it.
    That is the beauty of The Android Platform and ....XDA provides a fertile field for all to share ideas and collectively improve our experience.

Additionally, we need to provide and track the proper credit to the original code writing Developer and better comply with the GPL requirements of Android......

I hope this clarifys the potential questions

Thanks from the Moderators

~~~ (oka1)~~~
    Actually, both my own and Funky81's kernel (Goku) are both built from source with original development.

We are simply applying a patch that hardcore made for the original code source release which address some issues that we would have had to address anyway. there is no point in re-inventing the wheel. In my latest releases built from the newer source I am not even applying hardcores patch, just grabbing a few alterations that were made so the code compiles properly.

In fact, both of our kernels are vastly different from Hardcore's in respect to what we are trying to achieve with them. I am going for all out speed, and had to devise my own code (and follow the horrendously awful Exynos4 for developers manual from Samsung) to inject the correct overclocking PLL and register values into the code. This is not something that Hardcore, or anyone else apart from Thor (for cm9) has done with the kernel.

funky has made lots of alterations too, so neither of our kernels can really be called "speedmod clones" and to do so, without reading at the very least the OP of each thread and understanding what is being said, is a little disrespectful.

To follow another analogy along the lines of oka1's from the OP

If speedmod is building the basic car, Funky81 and myself are designing the turbo, exhaust system, air intake and tuning the ECU and packaging it all together. Both are as important as each other and both are original.

Very bad idea

This difference original / not original is meaningless for a open source software.

This principle of open source is everybody can freely modify and improve code from others so nobody, never, build something "original" because nobody build from scratch "blank page"

If want categorize, category like kernels / ROM TW / ROM non-TW sould be better I think.

I believe most people will say "very good Idea" because come from moderator and most of people like to put cream of people with some special "power" human being is like that.

But not. it's bad idea.

It will be impossible to decide which one is original which is not. And impossible to guess for visitors.
    So does my Asylum ICS count as original? Since every version is built from source? And then modified to my liking?

AFAIK, Asylum will be considered as a cooked ROM with AOKP/CM9 as the base