How To Fix The E: Can't mount /dev/block/stl10 (invalid Argument) Error

Search This thread

TechKidTarek

Nov 5, 2010
London
I would like to thank the starter of this thread for his solution to this problem. Was going from cm7 to stock but something went wrong and I got corrupted internal sd. thx mate!

PS. could you tell me what this file exactly does? just curious :p

I have another question. How can I restore internal sd when it get's corrupt and which stock roms are used to 'restore' a phone? I mean, those who contain the bootloader

thx in advance!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Premium App

try flashing a firmware like jpc and the dbdata.rfs.tar is contained deep within some firmwares like jpc it basically restores the dbdata.rfs.tar which has been deleted or corrupted on your phone

MaXo64

Aug 26, 2009
now, you are the best person in the world for me :)

I spent 6 hours trying to find a fix. and yours was the one. I cant thank you enough :)

konx777

Apr 5, 2011
How about i9003 cant mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 ????

Hi guys,

what should i do,

mine is i9003, need file just like dbdata.rfs to un-bricked mine.:confused:

its said can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

:(:confused:

Tyxerakias

Jun 19, 2010
London, UK
This can all be avoided if you flash either a) without repartition or , if you have to repartition b) flash a complete firmware, that definitely contains dbdata.rfs and cache.rfs in the .tar file. Most of the 3-file ones contain them.

This problem arises when you flash an incomplete firmware, with repartition. Then you tell your phone to make a partition for dbdata, and then you flash a firmware that doesn't contain dbdata.rfs! Therefore, the mounting of stl10, which is supposed to go to dbdata, fails miserably.

It's as simple as that. If you want to flash a certain firmware, make sure you flash a complete/full one, otherwise, flash it WITHOUT repartition. Samsung hasn't changed the partition table since the old Eclairs, it's always the one corresponding to 512.pit.

The fix of this thread just fills in the gap that stl10 is looking for, by giving the phone the dbdata.rfs file, which would be there if you hadn't destroyed it by repartitioning, or if the firmware you were trying to flash was complete and contained it.

So be careful about what you flash. Most firmwares from the Samsung servers that are bundled in one tar file, do NOT contain dbdata, so you should NOT repartition if you want to flash them. That is the reason that the instructions on samfirmware.com say not to tick repartition with one file. But even the 3-file ones can be incomplete some times. Just look inside the tars before you plug them into Odin, and see if dbdata.rfs and cache.rfs are there.

Having said all that, props to the OP for raising the issue and saving a lot of time and tears :)

Tyxerakias

Jun 19, 2010
London, UK
Hi guys,

what should i do,

mine is i9003, need file just like dbdata.rfs to un-bricked mine.:confused:

its said can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

:(:confused:

Your problem is completely unrelated... mmcblk0p3 is the /data partition on the I9003. There is no .rfs file for that. My guess is that you probably tried to flash the wrong firmware for your phone. If you go back into download mode and flash another firmware with repartition with the latona file properly, you'll be ok. This is the wrong section for your problem anyway.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I personally have semi-bricked my phone (SGS) a considerable amount of times and each time i got this message E: Can't mount /dev/block/stl10 (invalid Argument) Error. Then i got very frustrated and found a fix. So here is how I fixed it. This might work on the Original Galaxy tab

Things you are going to need:

1. Odin (any version) maybe Heimdall haven't tested yet
    2. dbdata.rfs.tar (included in post)
    3. semi-bricked phone

Flash with repartition off i repeat do not flash with it on. sometimes works with repartition.also pit is not needed put file in pda in odin​

After you are finished rejoice and tell me how happy you are in the comments and how you found my thread :)

P.s if i helped don't forget to donate so i can buy pizza. and also hit the thank's button and rate this thread for me;) :)
    thank you for replying! so just to clear things up, I'll flash this dbdata file as PDA (unchecked repartition) first, then proceed with flashing the Stock ROM (with PIT and PDA)? should I check CSC as well?

Here are the steps for going back to stock:

1. Download your stock firmware from http://www.samfirmware.com (Registration is necessary, but is free)
    2. Download the ''FlashProgram'' from samfirmware (Odin + PIT)
    3. Unzip firmware, so you have either 3 .tar/.md5 files or 1 .tar/.md5
    4. Unzip the ''Flashprogram''
    5. Open the Odin.exe
    6. In odin, select the .pit with the button 'PIT'
    7. Make sure ''Repartition'' is ON!
    '

If you have only 1 .tar/.md5 file, continue with these instructions:

1. Under PDA, select the .tar/.md5 file
    2. Flash it!
    3. It will get stuck in bootloop after it's finished, don't worry!
    4. Download the attached file from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=984140
    5. Select the downloaded ''DBDATA.RFS.TAR'' as a PDA in odin
    6. Make sure repartition is OFF this time!
    7. Flash....
    8. Enjoy!

If you have 3 .tar/.md5 files, continue with these instructions:

1. Under PDA, select the .tar/.md5 with PDA in the name
    2. Under PHONE, Select the .tar/.md5 with PHONE or MODEM in the name
    3. Under CSC, Select the .tar/.md5 file with CSC in the name
    4. Flash!
    5. Enjoy!

Now thank me for writing this guide... :angel:
    My Galaxy Tab P1000 gets stuck at the Samsung logo, doesn't boot into the OS, so I guess its semi-bricked. Whenever I try to reformat to factory settings I get this message: "format_volume: rfs format failed on /dev/block/stl10" and I get: "cant mount dbdata" whenever I try to flash the Stock ROM. Can anyone confirm if this method works on a Galaxy Tab P1000? thanks!

Yes, your error can be fixed by flashing this file as a PDA via Odin.
    my eyes!... my eyes... are burning.... :eek:

a good information indeed, but man... those fonts sizes and colours are a bit overboard :p

If you remove all these offending fonts, big size and colour, your topic could draw some interest...

Do You Have To Use Capital Letters In Every First Letter Of Word?

It is pain to read..

Thanks for the constructive criticism i have changed it now just thought that bright
    colours were nice sorry
    im just here to help but would appreciate you hitting the thanks button for me :D