[Q] In need of advice.

Search This thread

Lycan84

Jan 3, 2012
So my battery is draining at a ridiculous rate. Google services are using 34% of my battery. I'm running completely stock GS3 on verizon now with 4.3. I've been doing some research, I'm thinking I need to root to debloat and get some battery increases. I think i can do the root easily enough, but installing roms and safestrap seem a tad daunting to me. So would I be best off to root and install a rom? And would anyone be willing to help me out?
Thanks for all the hard work you all do.

Lycan84

Jan 3, 2012
Here is a photo.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Free mobile app

Attachments

• 1400470948480.jpg
    1400470948480.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 66

gulu20072010

Jan 16, 2013
So my battery is draining at a ridiculous rate. Google services are using 34% of my battery. I'm running completely stock GS3 on verizon now with 4.3. I've been doing some research, I'm thinking I need to root to debloat and get some battery increases. I think i can do the root easily enough, but installing roms and safestrap seem a tad daunting to me. So would I be best off to root and install a rom? And would anyone be willing to help me out?

(Mod Edit: Remove Warez reference)

If you need to stop google service then I will try to help you but its better you ask the MODERATOR for solution.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lycan84

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
So my battery is draining at a ridiculous rate. Google services are using 34% of my battery. I'm runvg completely stock GS3 on verizon now with 4.3. I've been doing some research, I'm thinking I need to root to debloat and get some battery increases. I think i can do the root easily enough, but installing roms and safestrap seem a tad daunting to me. So would I be best off to root and install a rom? And would anyone be willing to help me out?

Before you go overboard if you haven't already you should boot into recovery and do a factory reset. If you took the update over the air that would explain a lot. for some reason the ota changed settings and was just overall poorly executed. If a factory reset doesn't help download the 4.3 Odin file from this website and see if that helps. I say this website and not from a place like Samsung-updates because most of there files will not wipe the phone so problems tend to stick around.

Mtsprite

Oct 2, 2013
Houston

concerning that last part, i would read very carefully before attempting to install a custom rom on 4.3. i've seen a lot of people brick their phones because they failed to read up on it. Best place to start is rooting, then after that (if you still want to install a custom rom) go to the safestrap thread and read up on it.

Lycan84

Jan 3, 2012
Been reading up on it a bit. I enabled developer options and checked close apps when exiting i think. And my battery life was improved a lot. I still want to do root i think so i can freeze some bloatware at least.

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
Been reading up on it a bit. I enabled developer options and checked close apps when exiting i think. And my battery life was improved a lot. I still want to do root i think so i can freeze some bloatware at least.

Be careful on what you freeze. Most of the bloat is just a eye sore in the app draw. Touchwiz roms have a lot of layers depending on other layers to work properly and if you freeze the wrong thing your phone might get worse battery and be very buggy. There is a master list of what you can safely freeze somewhere on the forum.

Lycan84

Jan 3, 2012
So now a couple days later my battery is back to pitiful life and wont fully charge over night, draining to near nothing in half hour or so. Going to try a factory reset and see what happens...

Lycan84

Jan 3, 2012
Did a factory reset. Battery life the first day after a full charge was great. Wasn't on it a whole lot and didn't put many apps back on it but I got to 22hrs before it hit 10%. Now I can't get the damn thing to fully charge. I feel lost.

Wh1t3Rose

Did a factory reset. Battery life the first day after a full charge was great. Wasn't on it a whole lot and didn't put many apps back on it but I got to 22hrs before it hit 10%. Now I can't get the damn thing to fully charge. I feel lost.

Sound like a faulty battery to me. Try exchanging it. Verizon should exchange for you for free. I would also download wakelock detector. Or better battery stats. Check for rogue apps

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thread cleaned to remove warez reference. Be careful what you suggest and make sure it is properly done.
    There are other, proper ways to get Rom Toolbox that don't involve using a third party app.

(Mod Edit: Remove Warez reference)

If you need to stop google service then I will try to help you but its better you ask the MODERATOR for solution.
    Thank you.
    So my battery is draining at a ridiculous rate. Google services are using 34% of my battery. I'm runvg completely stock GS3 on verizon now with 4.3. I've been doing some research, I'm thinking I need to root to debloat and get some battery increases. I think i can do the root easily enough, but installing roms and safestrap seem a tad daunting to me. So would I be best off to root and install a rom? And would anyone be willing to help me out?

Before you go overboard if you haven't already you should boot into recovery and do a factory reset. If you took the update over the air that would explain a lot. for some reason the ota changed settings and was just overall poorly executed. If a factory reset doesn't help download the 4.3 Odin file from this website and see if that helps. I say this website and not from a place like Samsung-updates because most of there files will not wipe the phone so problems tend to stick around.

concerning that last part, i would read very carefully before attempting to install a custom rom on 4.3. i've seen a lot of people brick their phones because they failed to read up on it. Best place to start is rooting, then after that (if you still want to install a custom rom) go to the safestrap thread and read up on it.

Be careful on what you freeze. Most of the bloat is just a eye sore in the app draw. Touchwiz roms have a lot of layers depending on other layers to work properly and if you freeze the wrong thing your phone might get worse battery and be very buggy. There is a master list of what you can safely freeze somewhere on the forum.