APEX Q&A

Search This thread

Gazoo222

May 18, 2011
Safe Flashing from Gingerbread

Thank you for starting this thread :)

I am currently running Apex 6.3 and want to flash to a newer rom, Apex 7.

I have a Rogers phone I896 and so I no longer have my volume buttons working to put it in to recovery or download mode, I have read not to load any kinda fix for that(something about two boot loaders being a bad idea).

My understanding is that I have to go back to stock before flashing a new rom(I have seen you have roms that can be upgraded rather then re-flashed) but I want to wipe my internal sd card and flash like new.

Do I just use ODIN 1 click and go back to stock and use it to clean my sd card, is that a safe option or am I missing something?

If I remember correctly I had to do like 2 or 3 steps to flash Gingerbread from from stock rom, load boot loaders, load kernel, load rom. So I am wondering if it is 1 step to go back to stock ?

I know I have seen a post on a thread on this but to find it when needed is not so easy, XDA-Developers has grown big time since I started with WM5(Android is all new to me)

Johndoe205

Jun 12, 2011
So you can't put the phone into download mode?

Odin 1 click is pretty straight forward from what I remember. First I boot up the phone normally and hit "master clear". Second I put the phone into download mode and hit the "Start" button which goes and installs the stock firmware. Obviously you need to be in debug mode to do all this so make sure you're good with that.

I don't know if you already have it but here is a link for the Odin 1 click I use.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=731989

Last edited:

watsa

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 12, 2011
Markham
Reactions: Johndoe205

watsa

Feb 12, 2011
Markham
If you are already on ApeX 6.x you can flash 7 using CWM.. No need to ODIN back to JF6.

In worst case if u have to ODIN back that should be to stock GB.

But as i said just flash 7 on top of 6.3 by going into recovery mode

Thank you for starting this thread :)

I am currently running Apex 6.3 and want to flash to a newer rom, Apex 7.

I have a Rogers phone I896 and so I no longer have my volume buttons working to put it in to recovery or download mode, I have read not to load any kinda fix for that(something about two boot loaders being a bad idea).

My understanding is that I have to go back to stock before flashing a new rom(I have seen you have roms that can be upgraded rather then re-flashed) but I want to wipe my internal sd card and flash like new.

Do I just use ODIN 1 click and go back to stock and use it to clean my sd card, is that a safe option or am I missing something?

If I remember correctly I had to do like 2 or 3 steps to flash Gingerbread from from stock rom, load boot loaders, load kernel, load rom. So I am wondering if it is 1 step to go back to stock ?

I know I have seen a post on a thread on this but to find it when needed is not so easy, XDA-Developers has grown big time since I started with WM5(Android is all new to me)

Johndoe205

Jun 12, 2011
First off I want to say thank you for making an awesome ROM. Loving it thus far and has been running flawlessly except for one minor issue I ran into tonight. For the MIUI lockscreen the phone freezes then goes to the android boot animation screen and right back to the MIUI lock screen whenever I try to unlock with SMS unlock. Is this a known issue with the screen unlock concerning MIUI?

Sent from my I897 using XDA App running APEX 7 Update-1

watsa

Feb 12, 2011
Markham
First off I want to say thank you for making an awesome ROM. Loving it thus far and has been running flawlessly except for one minor issue I ran into tonight. For the MIUI lockscreen the phone freezes then goes to the android boot animation screen and right back to the MIUI lock screen whenever I try to unlock with SMS unlock. Is this a known issue with the screen unlock concerning MIUI?

Sent from my I897 using XDA App running APEX 7 Update-1

U have not set custom app for lockscreens. clicking on message icon takes u to custom app u select and since u have not selected it reboots.

See ROM OP on how to do it.

Thanks for ur feedback buddy

Reactions: sovinahlinkmed

Johndoe205

Jun 12, 2011
Awesome!! Everything is perfect now =) can't wait for your next update! Gonna donate now. Keep up the amazing work!!:D

adamm1

Oct 28, 2010
dear sir

hey! amazing job on this one looks really promising! I have GR-12 on my cappy with the latest talon kernel and GB bootloader. my question is, if i want to install this do i need to flash back to stock 2.1 and do the entire process (reinstall talon and bootloader then install your rom)? OR can i just enter recovery mode with my phone currently using gr-12 and use CWM to install APEX 7 rom? either way i have to first install apex 7 then use cwm to install update 1 directly after correct?

pwnerman

Mar 1, 2011
Flintstone
hey! amazing job on this one looks really promising! I have GR-12 on my cappy with the latest talon kernel and GB bootloader. my question is, if i want to install this do i need to flash back to stock 2.1 and do the entire process (reinstall talon and bootloader then install your rom)? OR can i just enter recovery mode with my phone currently using gr-12 and use CWM to install APEX 7 rom? either way i have to first install apex 7 then use cwm to install update 1 directly after correct?
All you gotta do is put apex on your sd card then go into setting and privacy and do a factory reset then reboot into recovery clear the cache and dalvic cache then install apex

EDIT Do the factory reset then put the ROM on your SD card lol

Last edited:
Reactions: adamm1

yaboydrew

Apr 15, 2010
PLEASE HELP ME PLEASE BEEN UP 48hr researching

Installed Apex_7 on my phone and i used a kernal swap to bypass the froyo file verification instead of going back to eclair first. after i got all working and installed Apex i rebooted my phone the at&t logo came up then the screen went all crazy and then kept replaying the galaxy s animation so then i used odin to go back to stock after odin said success i rebooted the phone and now im stuck at the at&t logo. cant get into download mode

AND i have made a usb jig but it does not work i tried 3 100k resistors and 3 100k and 1 1k and still nothing. Also if i take a ohm meter it will only read up to 2 resistors at a time once i add the 3rd one i get a split second reading then nothing but ive tested them all by there self and they read 0.10 and 2 reads 0.20 then 3 reads 0.30 for a split second then reads nothing.

Thanks anyhelp greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!
I dont wanna make this my new paper weight.

mfd624

Feb 12, 2011
Central NY
Watsaa, first off I have to say this is an awesome rom. I have tried other GB roms and this one just rocks. I am running Apex 7 update 1 and the only issue I had was everytime I returned to the launcher it seem to reload all the icons and widgets. Then i flashed Talon 2.2 and wow!! It runs much better and no more reloading of the launcher. Smooth as butter. :D

watsa

Feb 12, 2011
Markham
Watsaa, first off I have to say this is an awesome rom. I have tried other GB roms and this one just rocks. I am running Apex 7 update 1 and the only issue I had was everytime I returned to the launcher it seem to reload all the icons and widgets. Then i flashed Talon 2.2 and wow!! It runs much better and no more reloading of the launcher. Smooth as butter. :D

thanks buddy

watsa

Feb 12, 2011
Markham
Installed Apex_7 on my phone and i used a kernal swap to bypass the froyo file verification instead of going back to eclair first. after i got all working and installed Apex i rebooted my phone the at&t logo came up then the screen went all crazy and then kept replaying the galaxy s animation so then i used odin to go back to stock after odin said success i rebooted the phone and now im stuck at the at&t logo. cant get into download mode

AND i have made a usb jig but it does not work i tried 3 100k resistors and 3 100k and 1 1k and still nothing. Also if i take a ohm meter it will only read up to 2 resistors at a time once i add the 3rd one i get a split second reading then nothing but ive tested them all by there self and they read 0.10 and 2 reads 0.20 then 3 reads 0.30 for a split second then reads nothing.

Thanks anyhelp greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!
I dont wanna make this my new paper weight.

what key combo you tried? if u can see ur phone turn on then its not bricked

dartore

Aug 31, 2010
i tried to install Apex 7.1, but it stuck at the android logo screen for few hrs already... any help please

Top Liked Posts