[Q] I need advice (Switching from iPhone 4S)

Search This thread

echooffzack

May 14, 2014
Coloma
cometinnovations.org
Hey XDA! I'm new here and all, but I've heard a lot about this website and the help it can provide for everyone.

Anyways, with Apple's newest purchase of Beats by Dre, I've lost all respect towards the company and I've come to conclusion that I'd like to switch over to Android. My only problem with Android is the security (including stuff like CarrierIQ and whatnot), but I believe I can remove these things by flashing to Cynagenmod.

My biggest question here is: Is the Galaxy S4 right for me?

I'm big into customizing and making everything "my own" so that way I have total control over the whole device and what I can do with it. Including themes, tweaks, overclocking, larger batteries....the whole shebang.

I like the S4 the most because of the RAM, and the fact I can use my 32GB SDHC card with it, however I'm not sure if I've looked hard enough or if I've come to conclusion too quickly... I want something that's going to last me a long time.

My plans for it (if I chose the S4) are to flash it to Cynagenmod, get a protective case, and possibly an extended battery.

Anyways, I'm not sure if I posted in the right thread or not... But I need some help here. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm absolutely done with Apple.

Thanks in advance!

the Doctor

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 15, 2011
In the TARDIS
If you want to run CM11, you might want to consider something else. I don't know about the i9505, but the i9500 has chronic Bluetooth, audio and camera problems.

Security on Android is no problem. The CarrierIQ scandal had nothing specific to do with Android and affected iOS users as well, but that was way back in 2011.

Reactions: echooffzack

echooffzack

May 14, 2014
Coloma
cometinnovations.org
If you want to run CM11, you might want to consider something else. I don't know about the i9505, but the i9500 has chronic Bluetooth, audio and camera problems.

Security on Android is no problem. The CarrierIQ scandal had nothing specific to do with Android and affected iOS users as well, but that was way back in 2011.

Is there any chance these issues were fixed in a BETA release?

echooffzack

May 14, 2014
Coloma
cometinnovations.org
No, CM11 on the i9500 only has nighties and does not get M releases. Read the last few pages of this thread to see recent happenings.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2537707&page=121

Ohhh... Okay.
That's too bad. Are there any other Roms you would consider using on a GS4? I've seen a few.. I just don't want to have to use TouchWiz xD I'm definitely going to stick to the GS4 though because of the hardware though. So now it's just a matter of choosing a Rom.

Thanks again!

XxLordxX

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2011
Campinas
Ohhh... Okay.
That's too bad. Are there any other Roms you would consider using on a GS4? I've seen a few.. I just don't want to have to use TouchWiz xD I'm definitely going to stick to the GS4 though because of the hardware though. So now it's just a matter of choosing a Rom.

Thanks again!

Hi,

First let's make clear the difference between GT-i9505 and GT-i9500. The i9505 is the Snapdragon variant of S4, while i9500 is the Exynos variant. While the Exynos variant has these issues on CM11 ROM, I loved using CM11 on Snapdragon S4, it was very smooth and I had no issues (actually in the beginning I had sound issues, but I believe it's now fixed).

Also, i9505 does have Snapshot CM releases! But I'd recommend you to check other devices as well, don't only go for Samsung because everyone is using it! If you really want best development support and the most of freedom to customize then I'd recommend you going for a Nexus device ;).

For i9500 I don't know many ROMs, the best would be reading the ROM threads and checking by yourself what features you'd enjoy and reading other people comments regarding the ROM ;).

~Lord

"Time is too short to cry, long enough to try." - March of Time (Helloween)
Sent from my KitKat Nexus 10

the Doctor

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 15, 2011
In the TARDIS
^^^ +1

I'm glad someone with the i9505 checked in. If it were available in my country, I wouldn't have bought a Nexus 5 to replace it.

dratsablive

Feb 20, 2011
HARRISBURG
I'm running CM11 on my I9505G and haven't encountered any real problems. There is an issue with the Google Camera app and HDR. It leaves you with a grey image. Other than that it's a lot smoother than the stock rom that installed on device.

echooffzack

May 14, 2014
Coloma
cometinnovations.org
Hi,

First let's make clear the difference between GT-i9505 and GT-i9500. The i9505 is the Snapdragon variant of S4, while i9500 is the Exynos variant. While the Exynos variant has these issues on CM11 ROM, I loved using CM11 on Snapdragon S4, it was very smooth and I had no issues (actually in the beginning I had sound issues, but I believe it's now fixed).

Also, i9505 does have Snapshot CM releases! But I'd recommend you to check other devices as well, don't only go for Samsung because everyone is using it! If you really want best development support and the most of freedom to customize then I'd recommend you going for a Nexus device ;).

For i9500 I don't know many ROMs, the best would be reading the ROM threads and checking by yourself what features you'd enjoy and reading other people comments regarding the ROM ;).

~Lord

So I've been doing some research (an extensive amount actually), and I've come to conclusion that PacMan 4.4 Rom is gonna be my best bet. It's got all the cool features CM has and more. There's OTA updates and full customization! Plus it's stable on the i9500 so I mean it sounds good all around.

Does the Nexus have a replaceable battery and an SD card slot?

XxLordxX

Jul 11, 2011
Campinas
So I've been doing some research (an extensive amount actually), and I've come to conclusion that PacMan 4.4 Rom is gonna be my best bet. It's got all the cool features CM has and more. There's OTA updates and full customization! Plus it's stable on the i9500 so I mean it sounds good all around.

Does the Nexus have a replaceable battery and an SD card slot?

Hi,

Sorry but Nexus doesn't support SD card and doesn't have replaceable battery, if you need it then you should keep away from it ^^.

~Lord

echooffzack

May 14, 2014
Coloma
cometinnovations.org
Hi,

Sorry but Nexus doesn't support SD card and doesn't have replaceable battery, if you need it then you should keep away from it ^^.

~Lord

Ahh okay. I've been doing some more research and the Sony Experia Z1 looks really nice. I think I'd rather invest in that instead of a GS4.

XxLordxX

Jul 11, 2011
Campinas
Ahh okay. I've been doing some more research and the Sony Experia Z1 looks really nice. I think I'd rather invest in that instead of a GS4.

Hi,

I own a Z1, and it's an amazing device in all aspects. It doesn't have the same "BOOM" effect that S4 screen has, and the viewing angles are rather meh, but when X-Reality is activated in videos and such you get an amazing experience!

Also, make sure you buy a case for your Z1 if you get one, because my one slipped from my pocket and now the screen is shattered and touch isn't working anymore, bought a screen on eBay and waiting for it to arrive.

Here's a small pros and cons of both devices, from personal using of course.
Galaxy S4 (GT-i9505)
Pros:
  1. Better viewing angles
  2. Removable battery
  3. More resistance
  4. Larger development
  5. Very thin
  6. Incredibly light
  7. Very small bezels

Cons:
  1. Crappy plastic
  2. Horrible stock UI (Touchwizz)
  3. Lacks of premium design

Xperia Z1
Pros:
  1. Awesome battery life (≈5-6 hours screen on time)
  2. More processing power
  3. Premium design
  4. Stock UI optimized for device
  5. Mind blowing camera (check in Xperia Z1 thread the pictures it can take)
  6. Water resistant
  7. Good stock UI
  8. Hardware camera button (better for focusing, for example)

Cons:
  1. Not resistant to falls
  2. Crappy viewing angles
  3. Huge bezels
  4. Heavier (but I liked the weight distribution I might say)
  5. Easy scratching screen and glass back
  6. Mediocre external speaker

Hope I could be of a good help ;). If it was me to choose one, I'd go for Z1 ;).
~Lord

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ohhh... Okay.

Thanks again!

Hi,

~Lord

No, CM11 on the i9500 only has nighties and does not get M releases. Read the last few pages of this thread to see recent happenings.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2537707&page=121