Geocaching location downloader

Search This thread

isaacfinnegan

Jan 20, 2007
Sunnyvale
Was looking for exactly this type of app. I wish this was built into geobeagle. GCz has no comparable android app.

But when I run it, it won't download any locations. I am trying it on the new Droid (android 2.0)

<edit> I take that back, after making the distance smaller (read the version history) I am downloading fine! Excellent work!

isaacfinnegan

Jan 20, 2007
Sunnyvale
Due to a bug in the browser(s) and/or URL APIs on the Android platform it's not possible to download loc files from geocaching.com without a lot of mess and fuss.

So I bring you the Closest 50 Caches app, enjoy.

Version 0.0.3 now lets you exclude caches you've found or own if you enter your geocaching.com details (optional).

Version 0.0.4 now works with geobeagle.

Version 0.0.5 lets you specify the radius distance around you from 0.5km to 40km, this way if you are in a populated area the old default of about 25km radius would exceed the 500 cache limit and result in no caches being saved.

Version 0.0.6 tells you how many locations were downloaded/exported.

Version 0.0.7 plays about with the distance limits, increasing it from 40km max to 60km max, although you might be able to go bigger depending on your latitude.

This is a nifty little tool. Any chance of getting access to source to try a couple things?

thognar

Nov 27, 2009
Sunnyvale/Seattle
Hey, I hate to be a dolt, but how can I debug this app? When I installed it a few days ago it was working fine (thanks), but now it fails and I don't see any way to determine why. I've uninstalled and re-installed without any change. It just downloads nothing. Suggestions?

Thanks!