Reg Edit to change default input method??

Search This thread

dharvey4651

Retired Senior Moderator
May 11, 2007
Olathe, Kansas
xdaforums.com
I am looking for a regedit to change the default input method. I am particularly fond of PCMKeyboard and use it religiously but every time I soft reset it always defaults back to the 20 button Touch Keyboard.

Thanks in advance, Dan.

EliteXen

May 24, 2006
Washington DC
I am looking for a regedit to change the default input method. I am particularly fond of PCMKeyboard and use it religiously but every time I soft reset it always defaults back to the 20 button Touch Keyboard.

Thanks in advance, Dan.

Took me a while to figure this out, but you have to first completely disable the Touch keyboard. If you use the standard default sip settings Touch keyboard will always override it on a soft reset.

Reversible method:
Go to [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{198D503A-EFFE-4afd-BC54-EED333C80E6D}\InprocServer32] change the default value from \windows\ezinput.dll to something else like \windows\del_ezinput.dll
Also change the default value at [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{198D503A-EFFE-4afd-BC54-EED333C80E6D}\IsSIPInputMethod] to 0

Do the same thing at [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{62B00599-25D2-4e09-8C48-03BF26DB8517}]

(Note: You can also completely delete these two keys rather than renaming the values.)

Then you can use the standard method of setting the default sip. Go to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sip] change the defaultim key to the right value for PCMkeyboard (never used it so i'm not sure). Just search HKCR\CLSID for the keyboard you want and copy down it's CLSID with the brackets then put that in for the defaultim.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense and I'll explain it more thoroughly.

~Xen

Ramasoft

May 19, 2007
Or others that need to change the default SIP may use the attached .cab. Have fun ...
:)

Attachments

• SIPChange.CAB
    225.9 KB · Views: 377

flyhighusa

Oct 5, 2007
Durham N.C.
I have tried sipchange however the standerd is still wrong after a soft reset. Sipchange hasn't really done anything or do I need to follow a certain order?

SultanH

Jul 5, 2007
Took me a while to figure this out, but you have to first completely disable the Touch keyboard. If you use the standard default sip settings Touch keyboard will always override it on a soft reset.

Reversible method:
Go to [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{198D503A-EFFE-4afd-BC54-EED333C80E6D}\InprocServer32] change the default value from \windows\ezinput.dll to something else like \windows\del_ezinput.dll
Also change the default value at [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{198D503A-EFFE-4afd-BC54-EED333C80E6D}\IsSIPInputMethod] to 0

Do the same thing at [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{62B00599-25D2-4e09-8C48-03BF26DB8517}]

(Note: You can also completely delete these two keys rather than renaming the values.)

Then you can use the standard method of setting the default sip. Go to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sip] change the defaultim key to the right value for PCMkeyboard (never used it so i'm not sure). Just search HKCR\CLSID for the keyboard you want and copy down it's CLSID with the brackets then put that in for the defaultim.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense and I'll explain it more thoroughly.

~Xen

I did that and and it killed my Touch. I had to reset then restore backup. Basically after I made the changes and rebooted it kept coming to black screen with no functionality. Has anyone had that problem? (Before that I had the SIP change installed. Could have been the problem?)
Thanks,

SultanH

Jul 5, 2007
I did that and and it killed my Touch. I had to reset then restore backup. Basically after I made the changes and rebooted it kept coming to black screen with no functionality. Has anyone had that problem? (Before that I had the SIP change installed. Could have been the problem?)
Thanks,

Has anyone been able to make the registry method work on the Touch?
I've tried it twice ad both times I get a dead reboot. So I had to hard reset and restore from backup.

cwzkevin

Jan 4, 2008
Baltimore
I've tried it twice ad both times I get a dead reboot. So I had to hard reset and restore from backup.

I also get a dead reboot. Looks like OP forgot to mention something...
BTW, TouchPal's CLSID might be
{802C691C-EB46-442c-BC54-DC2C42B156C3}

EliteXen

May 24, 2006
Washington DC

I use this method on my touch immediately after a hard reset and it always works. I think the instructions are pretty clear.

Are you deleting the key or just renaming it.

Also could you try backing up your phone then hard resetting and following the directions before you reinstall/restore anything. You can use Mobile Registry Editor to make the changes through Activesync.

cwzkevin

Jan 4, 2008
Baltimore
I use this method on my touch immediately after a hard reset and it always works. I think the instructions are pretty clear.

Are you deleting the key or just renaming it.

Also could you try backing up your phone then hard resetting and following the directions before you reinstall/restore anything. You can use Mobile Registry Editor to make the changes through Activesync.

I renamed the first two and deleted the second two. Maybe b/c I didn't do it once after hard reset.

tft

Feb 24, 2008
works fine for me... i prefer the standard keyboard as well.. anyone know if it's possible to enlarge the keys a little more by a registry setting? i'd like to keep the "Large" keys but also retain the number keys on top as well. if i switch to large keys the number pad disappears, possible to have numbers+larger buttons?

if this is in the registry, anyone know where i should look or is the standard keyboard size fixed?

efren803

Mar 12, 2008
IMSelector did not work for my vogue but SipChange did. No need to fool around with the registry which I'm scared to try. :D

suterma

Apr 3, 2008
To cwzkevin,

I have also experienced deadlocks at the next boot. They seem to be related to using an wrong CLSID for the desired new input method. At least for each language this is different.

My changes, according to the original post from EliteXen, did work on a german Swisscom branded HTC Touch Pro, but provoked the black screen on reboot on a english Swisscom branded HTC Touch Diamond.
I did delete both keys, not changing them.

So, look up the CLSID first, before using it.

br, Marcel

Last edited: