[VIDEO] Verizon Wireless Droid DNA Wireless Charging with a TPU Case

Search This thread

chrisngrod

Jul 29, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I've been making little videos for the past couple of days since I bought so much little stuff. I'm exhausted. Basically went to a Verizon store, slapped my DNA down on the mat and it started charging. For something to work so well out of the box, I was a little surprised. Usually just about everything requires some kind of setting modification.

What I was really looking for was a case. I hated the fact that they only had a pink and blue TPU case. The Otterbox did show up online, but neither of the two stores I visited had them. For S&G, I went ahead and asked for the TPU case to try it on. It fits pretty snug, and I have other videos on that. What I really wanted to know is if the DNA would charge with the case on. While he was grabbing the case I hovered the phone over the mat. It charged. Good sign there...

After putting the TPU case on, I tested it out and everything worked. As I went home, I was thinking that the case would probably make the charging really slow. By the end of Black Friday my phone was pretty much dead. I got home, put it on the pad, and it does charge alright. I'll try to run the phone down twice in the future to compare the factory charger with the mat.

With the Otterbox Defender Case

EDIT: Added the video of the Otterbox Defender case. A little less forgiving on the placement. Expect charging times to increase even more. Even with the TPU case it looked like the charge took twice as long as with a MicroUSB cable. This is okay if you're going to have it on the charger more due to ease though.

With the Otterbox Commuter Case

Removal of Speaker from LG WCP-700

Many people don't like the speaker because it will cycle once charged and beep over and over again. Other solution would be to get use to it or take it off the charger once it is charged.

Last edited:
Reactions: MustafaHadaKing

thenickisme

May 31, 2011
Auburn
Thanks for this! I know a lot of people asked for that. I believe this charger is from the older gen of the wireless charging standard which allows for a distance of 4mm. So most cases should be fine. Don't quote me on this but the newest revision of the qi standard allows for 40mm which will be very nice. (good for building into desks and such)

Also as a fellow owner of the LG pad, having that extra distance would be nice because sometimes the phone has to be readjusted to get it to work.

chrisngrod

Jul 29, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Thanks for this! I know a lot of people asked for that. I believe this charger is from the older gen of the wireless charging standard which allows for a distance of 4mm. So most cases should be fine. Don't quote me on this but the newest revision of the qi standard allows for 40mm which will be very nice. (good for building into desks and such)

Also as a fellow owner of the LG pad, having that extra distance would be nice because sometimes the phone has to be readjusted to get it to work.

No problem. I'm going to have to look at the standards now. I didn't think I'd enjoy this feature as much as I do. That was probably because I assumed the phone had to be naked.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Geofiveo

Nov 26, 2012
DNA with Otterbox

Yes please do keep us posted once you get the otterbox because I'm looking at getting the same setup. I already have the black TPC case but want to go to the Commuter versus the Defender.

chrisngrod

Jul 29, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Yes please do keep us posted once you get the otterbox because I'm looking at getting the same setup. I already have the black TPC case but want to go to the Commuter versus the Defender.

If the Commuter was available I would have ordered it today... I did go ahead and get the Defender. Definitely need to log charge times between all the scenarios.

chrisngrod

Jul 29, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Bump. Added the video of the Otterbox Defender case. A little less forgiving on the placement. Expect charging times to increase even more. Even with the TPU case it looked like the charge took twice as long as with a MicroUSB cable. This is okay if you're going to have it on the charger more due to ease though.

jonah1234

May 29, 2012
Can you post a vid of how to take the speaker out of the wireless charging pad please? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA

65caliente

Nov 30, 2012
Defender

The otterbox defender case makes wireless charging almost not worth it but i can attest that it does work with the Lg pad from verizon.

chrisngrod

Jul 29, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Kind of depends on what you're goal is here. I think the wireless charger was designed for longer use from the beginning. Times when you ordinarily wouldn't go through the hassle of putting a phone on the charger, you can.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've been making little videos for the past couple of days since I bought so much little stuff. I'm exhausted. Basically went to a Verizon store, slapped my DNA down on the mat and it started charging. For something to work so well out of the box, I was a little surprised. Usually just about everything requires some kind of setting modification.

What I was really looking for was a case. I hated the fact that they only had a pink and blue TPU case. The Otterbox did show up online, but neither of the two stores I visited had them. For S&G, I went ahead and asked for the TPU case to try it on. It fits pretty snug, and I have other videos on that. What I really wanted to know is if the DNA would charge with the case on. While he was grabbing the case I hovered the phone over the mat. It charged. Good sign there...

After putting the TPU case on, I tested it out and everything worked. As I went home, I was thinking that the case would probably make the charging really slow. By the end of Black Friday my phone was pretty much dead. I got home, put it on the pad, and it does charge alright. I'll try to run the phone down twice in the future to compare the factory charger with the mat.

With the Otterbox Defender Case

EDIT: Added the video of the Otterbox Defender case. A little less forgiving on the placement. Expect charging times to increase even more. Even with the TPU case it looked like the charge took twice as long as with a MicroUSB cable. This is okay if you're going to have it on the charger more due to ease though.

With the Otterbox Commuter Case

Removal of Speaker from LG WCP-700

Many people don't like the speaker because it will cycle once charged and beep over and over again. Other solution would be to get use to it or take it off the charger once it is charged.