[Recovery] Amon Ra style vigor [1.29.13]

Search This thread

drellisdee

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 22, 2008
East Coast
REQUIRES S-OFF from HTC-DEV UNLOCK or VIA A REVOLUTIONARY METHOD(IF ONE BECOMES AVAILABLE)

Recovery Features:

ADB as root user

USB-MS Toggle :mounts sdcard or internal_sd as mass storage

Backup/Restore:
Nand Backup : Select Items to backup with the [X]
Nand Restore : browse to and select nandroid backup to restore
Nand Restore Clockwork : browse to and restore cwm backup

Flash Zip From Sdcard: Update.zip must be in root of sdcard or you can directory browse.
Flash Zip from Internal_sd:
Toggle Signature Verify : Turn of signature checking on flashing zips

Wipe Menu:
Wipe data/factory reset: wipes all
Wipe cache
Wipe Dalvik cache : Wipes Dalvik cache in all possible locations if moved by apps2sd
Wipe SD:ext : Wipes Apps2sd ext partition
Wipe Battery Stats
Wipe rotate settings
Wipe data only
Wipe system
Wipe sdcard
Wipe .android secure : Wipes froyo native .android_secure on sdcard
Wipe Internal_SD

Partition Sdcard:
Partition SD: Partition's sdcard for apps2sd (this formats card so all non backed-up data is lost)
Repair Sd:ext
SD:ext2 to ext3 : coverts apps2sd ext2 partition to ext3
SD:ext3 to ext4 : same as above but ext3 to ext4 (

Mounts:
Gui mounts to avoid typing in terminal to mount and cd into a dir to mount system, data, cache, sd-ext (if exists), sdcard

Other:
Fix Permissions
Move recovery log to SD
Key Test : Output keycodes for debugging recovery
Check Battery Lvl

Ext3|4 menu: Formatting and reformating of partitons

Developer menu:
Make and flash boot from zimage : This makes a mkboot folder on sdcard and mounts sdcard as mass storage then you copy a zImage and kernel modules into this folder and it will create a new boot like anykernel and flash it.
Toggle full ext wipe: Toggles full or quick wipe of ext partitions
Install su & superuser: Installs or fixes su & superuser install (removes old if exists)
Install eng (unguarded) su: Installs engineering su that doesn't use superuser (removes old su & superuser if exists)
Reboot to bootloader: reboots to bootloader/hboot
Reboot recovery : reboots phone back into recovery

Manual Create Hboot Kernel Zip :
This option makes a mkboot folder on /sdcard with subfolders called zImage, modules, & androidinfo. Selecting this will mount sdcard to pc as mass storage and then the user adds the zImage, kernel modules, and android-info.txt(from a current RUU) to their respective folders. The installed boot.img will be dumped and zImage(kernel) replaced with new one and repacked into a boot.img. Next existing kernel modules will be removed from current rom and new ones installed. Then a PXXXIMG.zip to be flashed from hboot will be created and you will be rebooted to bootloader to install it.

Auto Flash RA Hboot Setup Zip :
This option lets you browse to and flash a special zip that copies the above listed items to the sdcard in mkboot folder and then automatically runs the above hboot zip creation and reboots you to bootloader to install. Template zip (for kernel dev's) is attached below. Just place the correct items in the folder in zip template and have the user flash the zip using the above option and recovery will do the rest.

Trouble Shooting:
Use option under Other menu to move recovery log to sd. Mount your sdcard to pc and read that file called recovery.log. It should have detailed cause of error.

Special Thanks:
Thanks to :
Amon Ra
Koush
Chingy for testing.

PLEASE NOTE THAT HTC DEV UNLOCK LOCKS BOOT AND RECOVERY SO THOSE CAN ONLY BE UPDATED VIA FASTBOOT. Once Revolutionary full s-off's it recovery will be able to flash those (that is IF they do).

Please flash recovery.img with command "fastboot flash recovery nameofrecovery.img" where nameofrecovery.img is the name of the recovery.img you wish to flash.

OLD VERSION MD5SUM = 9a9ec22821f606694a143b34186831e1 PH98IMG.zip

version 3.10 is here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20905279&postcount=83

version 3.13 is here

Changes for 3.14 :
Added backup/restore for android_secure on internal_sd. Internal_sd is the internal storage of device. External is the removable micro_sd. Stockish roms may have .android_secure on internal and aosp roms will always have it on external. You will need to know the location of it in your rom or else select both options to make sure its backed up.

Changed font color back to cyan blue. I'll see if its possible to have a txt file on sdcard that lets you select font color in the future (again if its possible).

older version 3.14 recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img
md5 915d5e3cb662076f36f3d6e54759e951 recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img

version 3.15 & changelog are here V3.15

Latest 3.16 V3.16 Updated the Rooting option and su + superuser option should now work. Note its a zipped .img not an Hboot type zip
md5 = ba69c118eb30ddf05e4743541bec0189 recovery-ra-vigor-3.16-gnm.img.zip

Attachments

• PH98IMG.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 29,279
  • S-ON_Kernel_Flash_Setup_For_RA.zip
    144.1 KB · Views: 7,616
Last edited:

con247

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
PLEASE NOTE THAT HTC DEV UNLOCK LOCKS BOOT AND RECOVERY SO THOSE CAN ONLY BE UPDATED VIA FASTBOOT/HBOOT. Once Revolutionary full s-off's it recovery will be able to flash those.

I am not sure I am understanding this part of the post. HTC's bootloader unlock will allow us to flash this and boot images, but only via fastboot right? We can flash this recovery image via fastboot and use it to install roms right? We just need to flash this recovery image via fastboot/hboot and then flash the boot image for the rom via fastboot?

Or am I misunderstanding it that we cannot modify recovery or boot in any way (fastboot included) until we are supported by revolutionary?

drellisdee

Jan 22, 2008
East Coast
I am not sure I am understanding this part of the post. HTC's bootloader unlock will allow us to flash this and boot images, but only via fastboot right? We can flash this recovery image via fastboot and use it to install roms right? We just need to flash this recovery image via fastboot/hboot and then flash the boot image for the rom via fastboot?

Or am I misunderstanding it that we cannot modify recovery or boot in any way (fastboot included) until we are supported by revolutionary?

With htc unlock this has to be flashed from hboot/fastboot. Also with only htc unlock you will not be able to flash a rom that contains a boot.img via recovery till full s-off is acheived. You can however flash the rom minus boot.img then flash boot.img via hboot/fastboot.

Reactions: davidbudd1

con247

Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
Ok. So technically we don't need S-Off, it would just be nice. And boot.imgs are easy to flash via hboot, just pop it in to a PH98img.zip. Obviously recovery would be more convenient, but atleast we don't need to wait for Revolutionary support assuming HTC Dev works.

dmeadows013

Sep 27, 2010
Hoboken, NJ
epicandroidroms.blogspot.com
Ok. So technically we don't need S-Off, it would just be nice. And boot.imgs are easy to flash via hboot, just pop it in to a PH98img.zip. Obviously recovery would be more convenient, but atleast we don't need to wait for Revolutionary support assuming HTC Dev works.

The name of the zip depends on the device. The Incredible uses PB31IMG.zip, the Evo uses PB36IMG.zip. Not sure about the Rezound though

drellisdee

Jan 22, 2008
East Coast

Yes you need s-off. The htc unlock s-off is not a true full s-off. The htc dev unlock s-off lets you flash unsigned zips in hboot. However boot and recovery partitions are write protected unless flashed from bootloader. True s-off like revolutionary give writes acess to boot and recovery partitions outside of bootloader. I just notified everyone about not being able to flash boot.img in recovery with htc dev s-off its not a flaw of recovery but of htc unlock method.

Last edited:

con247

Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
Technically we don't need it though atleast if we are willing to flash via hboot/fastboot while we wait for revolutionary.

dsb9938

Sep 17, 2010
Edison, NJ
Yes that was the device this recovery was tested on. Tester stated it was s on then unlocked by htc dev. Lets try to keep this thread on topic and have another thread about s-off.

Since we kinda need some sort of unlock to use this, and htcdev has removed the Rezound, it is actually on topic.

Has anybody gotten an early delivery of a shipped model that might be working on unlocking it?

D

Reactions: nadjibpharmm

compchick813

Sep 3, 2010
Since we kinda need some sort of unlock to use this, and htcdev has removed the Rezound, it is actually on topic.

Has anybody gotten an early delivery of a shipped model that might be working on unlocking it?

D

I've received mine and I have no idea how to figure out how to unlock it, but I would be willing to test if anyone has any ideas. I am experienced in rooting and romming my DX

Reactions: Andro X

drellisdee

Jan 22, 2008
East Coast

D

Please respect my wishes and make a new thread about unlocking. I don't wish to comb pages and pages on this thread to have to get feedback and bug reports about recovery and have to sift through pages of unrelated posts about unlocking. This thread is for recovery only.

dsb9938

Sep 17, 2010
Edison, NJ
Please respect my wishes and make a new thread about unlocking. I don't wish to comb pages and pages on this thread to have to get feedback and bug reports about recovery and have to sift through pages of unrelated posts about unlocking. This thread is for recovery only.

Sure. I won't be making a thread though. They just get moved to the general or Q&A forums where nobody who has any idea what they're doing ever goes. Something I never got about XDA, why no DEV Q&A?

Anyway, good luck keeping your thread pretty.

D

ccrazythunder

May 9, 2009

Since we need to be unlocked to use this recovery and people are trying to get a grasp on what good this would be to us at this point considering that the device is locked. The unlocking questions are relevant in this thread. So what can be accomplished by flashing this recovery if the device is s-off? What would this recovery allow us to do? Flash custom roms? Or just make a nand backup? What is the point of releasing or using this recovery at this point if we don't have s-off? I think that is a point of confusion and as a result questions on unlocking the bootloader are surfacing on this thread. Could you please advise or clarify for a dumba$$ such as myself on what this awesome recovery could be used for on the device considering that it is s-off and only has temporary root at this point? I have read the original post several times and I am still a little confused on this. If the original post has somehow flew over my head please feel free to flame away at me. I am not thinned skinned and do not have to rebuke or retort any harsh responses. Maybe your response could help clear the air and eliminate any further unlocking questions. Thank you in advance for any help or clarification you can provide.

dmeadows013

Sep 27, 2010
Hoboken, NJ
epicandroidroms.blogspot.com
Since we need to be unlocked to use this recovery and people are trying to get a grasp on what good this would be to us at this point considering that the device is locked. The unlocking questions are relevant in this thread. So what can be accomplished by flashing this recovery if the device is s-off? What would this recovery allow us to do? Flash custom roms? Or just make a nand backup? What is the point of releasing or using this recovery at this point if we don't have s-off? I think that is a point of confusion and as a result questions on unlocking the bootloader are surfacing on this thread. Could you please advise or clarify for a dumba$$ such as myself on what this awesome recovery could be used for on the device considering that it is s-off and only has temporary root at this point? I have read the original post several times and I am still a little confused on this. If the original post has somehow flew over my head please feel free to flame away at me. I am not thinned skinned and do not have to rebuke or retort any harsh responses. Maybe your response could help clear the air and eliminate any further unlocking questions. Thank you in advance for any help or clarification you can provide.

I'm not gonna flame, as I had the same questions back when o first got the Incredible. He put it out here just so that when we do get S-off, we can have it. Just like the roms. We can flash these from recovery. A recovery can be used to flash roms, kernels, make nandroids, wipe data, and mount storage. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask. Most of us here at XDA will not flame you, as we had the same questions not so long ago.

Sent from my Rezound 4G using XDA App

ccrazythunder

May 9, 2009
I'm not gonna flame, as I had the same questions back when o first got the Incredible. He put it out here just so that when we do get S-off, we can have it. Just like the roms. We can flash these from recovery. A recovery can be used to flash roms, kernels, make nandroids, wipe data, and mount storage. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask. Most of us here at XDA will not flame you, as we had the same questions not so long ago.

Sent from my Rezound 4G using XDA App

OK. Excellent. Thank you for your response. That was the basis of my confusion was the timing of this release. From my perspective I did not understand why this was released at this point in development considering the phone is not unlocked at this point. The release of this recovery at this point left me with the confusion that flashing a custom rom could somehow be accomplished by using this recovery as of the release date of this recovery. Thank you again for clarifying. Nothing further needs to be discussed relating to unlocking and this recovery.

Reactions: AndroidGraphix

drellisdee

Jan 22, 2008
East Coast
OK. Excellent. Thank you for your response. That was the basis of my confusion was the timing of this release. From my perspective I did not understand why this was released at this point in development considering the phone is not unlocked at this point. The release of this recovery at this point left me with the confusion that flashing a custom rom could somehow be accomplished by using this recovery as of the release date of this recovery. Thank you again for clarifying. Nothing further needs to be discussed relating to unlocking and this recovery.

It was made and tested on a vigor pre official release when the htc dev site worked to s-off the phone. That method no longer is available. The recovery will work as same as for any other device once a new route to s-off is available.

marclile

Jun 17, 2010
STL
so question... once i actually get s-off and start using this recovery... the menu option for "Wipe data/factory reset", will that wipe the internal SD? I'm hoping that it won't, as normally when i flash a new rom, i do a "data wipe", but i wouldn't really want the internal SD to get wiped in that case.

Reactions: Devildog8791

Devildog8791

Sep 15, 2009
Lonoke, AR
so question... once i actually get s-off and start using this recovery... the menu option for "Wipe data/factory reset", will that wipe the internal SD? I'm hoping that it won't, as normally when i flash a new rom, i do a "data wipe", but i wouldn't really want the internal SD to get wiped in that case.

Good question. I learned the hard way that a normal factory reset will wipe the internal memory. It never did this on the Incredible.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    REQUIRES S-OFF from HTC-DEV UNLOCK or VIA A REVOLUTIONARY METHOD(IF ONE BECOMES AVAILABLE)

Recovery Features:

ADB as root user

USB-MS Toggle :mounts sdcard or internal_sd as mass storage

Backup/Restore:
    Nand Backup : Select Items to backup with the [X]
    Nand Restore : browse to and select nandroid backup to restore
    Nand Restore Clockwork : browse to and restore cwm backup

Flash Zip From Sdcard: Update.zip must be in root of sdcard or you can directory browse.
    Flash Zip from Internal_sd:
    Toggle Signature Verify : Turn of signature checking on flashing zips

Wipe Menu:
    Wipe data/factory reset: wipes all
    Wipe cache
    Wipe Dalvik cache : Wipes Dalvik cache in all possible locations if moved by apps2sd
    Wipe SD:ext : Wipes Apps2sd ext partition
    Wipe Battery Stats
    Wipe rotate settings
    Wipe data only
    Wipe system
    Wipe sdcard
    Wipe .android secure : Wipes froyo native .android_secure on sdcard
    Wipe Internal_SD

Partition Sdcard:
    Partition SD: Partition's sdcard for apps2sd (this formats card so all non backed-up data is lost)
    Repair Sd:ext
    SD:ext2 to ext3 : coverts apps2sd ext2 partition to ext3
    SD:ext3 to ext4 : same as above but ext3 to ext4 (

Mounts:
    Gui mounts to avoid typing in terminal to mount and cd into a dir to mount system, data, cache, sd-ext (if exists), sdcard

Other:
    Fix Permissions
    Move recovery log to SD
    Key Test : Output keycodes for debugging recovery
    Check Battery Lvl

Ext3|4 menu: Formatting and reformating of partitons

Developer menu:
    Make and flash boot from zimage : This makes a mkboot folder on sdcard and mounts sdcard as mass storage then you copy a zImage and kernel modules into this folder and it will create a new boot like anykernel and flash it.
    Toggle full ext wipe: Toggles full or quick wipe of ext partitions
    Install su & superuser: Installs or fixes su & superuser install (removes old if exists)
    Install eng (unguarded) su: Installs engineering su that doesn't use superuser (removes old su & superuser if exists)
    Reboot to bootloader: reboots to bootloader/hboot
    Reboot recovery : reboots phone back into recovery

Manual Create Hboot Kernel Zip :
    This option makes a mkboot folder on /sdcard with subfolders called zImage, modules, & androidinfo. Selecting this will mount sdcard to pc as mass storage and then the user adds the zImage, kernel modules, and android-info.txt(from a current RUU) to their respective folders. The installed boot.img will be dumped and zImage(kernel) replaced with new one and repacked into a boot.img. Next existing kernel modules will be removed from current rom and new ones installed. Then a PXXXIMG.zip to be flashed from hboot will be created and you will be rebooted to bootloader to install it.

Auto Flash RA Hboot Setup Zip :
    This option lets you browse to and flash a special zip that copies the above listed items to the sdcard in mkboot folder and then automatically runs the above hboot zip creation and reboots you to bootloader to install. Template zip (for kernel dev's) is attached below. Just place the correct items in the folder in zip template and have the user flash the zip using the above option and recovery will do the rest.

Trouble Shooting:
    Use option under Other menu to move recovery log to sd. Mount your sdcard to pc and read that file called recovery.log. It should have detailed cause of error.

Special Thanks:
    Thanks to :
    Amon Ra
    Koush
    Chingy for testing.

PLEASE NOTE THAT HTC DEV UNLOCK LOCKS BOOT AND RECOVERY SO THOSE CAN ONLY BE UPDATED VIA FASTBOOT. Once Revolutionary full s-off's it recovery will be able to flash those (that is IF they do).

Please flash recovery.img with command "fastboot flash recovery nameofrecovery.img" where nameofrecovery.img is the name of the recovery.img you wish to flash.

OLD VERSION MD5SUM = 9a9ec22821f606694a143b34186831e1 PH98IMG.zip

version 3.10 is here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20905279&postcount=83

version 3.13 is here

Changes for 3.14 :
    Added backup/restore for android_secure on internal_sd. Internal_sd is the internal storage of device. External is the removable micro_sd. Stockish roms may have .android_secure on internal and aosp roms will always have it on external. You will need to know the location of it in your rom or else select both options to make sure its backed up.

Changed font color back to cyan blue. I'll see if its possible to have a txt file on sdcard that lets you select font color in the future (again if its possible).

older version 3.14 recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img
    md5 915d5e3cb662076f36f3d6e54759e951 recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img

version 3.15 & changelog are here V3.15

Latest 3.16 V3.16 Updated the Rooting option and su + superuser option should now work. Note its a zipped .img not an Hboot type zip
    md5 = ba69c118eb30ddf05e4743541bec0189 recovery-ra-vigor-3.16-gnm.img.zip
    V 3.15:

Changelog:

Added misctool as a recovery applet. Its at /sbin/misctool.
    Added support for new hboot with internal sd at mmcblk0p38. (Should work same as before on prior hboots with internal sd at mmcblk0p37 as well).

recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gnm.img

md5sum b0f721584e2d42aff37df1ebac9439fd recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gnm.img.zip
    I just joined the Rezound club :) Better late than never I guess

Just did s-off with unlimited.io and did a test with internal and external sd card and had no issues at all. I did find a big error on the root (install su and superuser) and look for update 3.16 tonight or tommorow to fix.
    Here you go:

http://db.tt/c7ybiswj?dl=1

md5: 0bbe8f80235d557de6b99ecb0b97b90b

Make sure you rename it to PH98IMG.ZIP and put it in the root of sdcard2. Remember to take it out of the root directory once it's flashed, or next time you go to hboot it will try to run it.

My name's Harold and I'm a flashaholic....