[APP] swapsd beta: Samsung

Search This thread

tattudenerd

Jul 30, 2012
says to notify developer-

so, it installed on my phone and the reboot portion states that there was an 'unknown error' and report to developer.

Tested by me on the Samsung Galaxy Exhibit only. (I'm told it works on the Galaxy W). If your device's /system/etc/vold.fstab file matches the attached original Galaxy Exhibit fstab file, it may work for you as well. Note: This app is not compatible with CyanogenMod.

A common complaint about some Samsung Gingerbread phones is the fact that they mount the relatively small internal sd memory as /mnt/sdcard and this memory is treated as the phone's primary removable storage by some apps, ignoring the "real" removable sd card that Samsung refers to as "/mnt/sdcard/external_sd".

This simple gui allows you to swap the two so your larger "external sd" is mounted as "/mnt/sdcard/" and the smaller sd internal memory is mounted as "/mnt/sdcard/external_sd".

This is done by changing a file called vold.fstab in your phone's /etc folder. The original device vold.fstab file is backed up to /etc/vold.fstab.backup when this app first runs. Your data on /mnt/sdcard and /mnt/sdcard/external_sd is not touched in any way whatsoever. Root is required. Easy install: copy the apk file to your SD card and open with a file manager.

Please nandroid backup before testing!

Please note that if you've already moved existing apps to SD or existing apps have placed support files on SD, swapping mount points is not a good idea. Uninstall these apps, then reinstall after swapping.

patpads

Nov 22, 2011

Please note that if you've already moved existing apps to SD or existing apps have placed support files on SD, swapping mount points is not a good idea. Uninstall these apps, then reinstall after swapping.

I think I have quite a few apps configured/moved to internal SD. Do you think copying internal SD's contents over to external SD would help avoid uninstalling/reinstalling ?
If so, how would you make sure an exact copy of internal SD is being moved to external SD, for later swapping ? Copy and Paste alone might not be enough, or would it ?

Thanks a bunch, this would make RR almost complete !

Pkt_Lnt

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 26, 2011
SLO
I think I have quite a few apps configured/moved to internal SD. Do you think copying internal SD's contents over to external SD would help avoid uninstalling/reinstalling ?
If so, how would you make sure an exact copy of internal SD is being moved to external SD, for later swapping ? Copy and Paste alone might not be enough, or would it ?

Yes, move apps to internal memory, start swapsd to swap, then reboot, then move apps to sdcard works. That is what I did.

It never hurts to hook up the phone to your computer and make copies of both internal sd and external sd before you start, but I am a repetitive redundancy kind of guy. And the old litany, backup, backup, backup. :cool:

Reactions: patpads

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala

I think it would be a miracle if it worked, moving stuff by hand would be sure to blow up somewhere :) But if you have backups, all you're risking is time. Tar up /mnt/sdcard and clone it to your microsd. Swap, reboot.

Reactions: patpads

patpads

Nov 22, 2011
I think it would be a miracle if it worked, moving stuff by hand would be sure to blow up somewhere :) But if you have backups, all you're risking is time. Tar up /mnt/sdcard and clone it to your microsd. Swap, reboot.

Yes, move apps to internal memory, start swapsd to swap, then reboot, then move apps to sdcard works. That is what I did.

It never hurts to hook up the phone to your computer and make copies of both internal sd and external sd before you start, but I am a repetitive redundancy kind of guy. And the old litany, backup, backup, backup. :cool:

lolol I knew it sounded shady when I 'proposed' that 'method' I guess that's why we have GUIs :p I'll go ahead and do what you guys suggest
I'm just asking in advance lest you all went to sleep lol, phone's battery ran out, being charged right now.

If this works out, I can finally think about playing games on this phone :D

thanks again :highfive:

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
Just installed CyanogenMod 9 ROM and tied to swap, one rebooted just CM9 boot icon only processing.
Any solution for this.

Thanks in advance.

Goutham

From the OP: Note: This app is not compatible with CyanogenMod.

cm9 has its own swapping solution. Go to Settings/Storage/Settings. As far as your problem goes, you need to reflash cm9 unless you're comfortable with adb shell. If you are, copy the /etc/vold.fstab.backup to /etc/vold.fstab and reboot.

Reactions: ngoutham

ngoutham

Sep 24, 2012
mybogie.com
From the OP: Note: This app is not compatible with CyanogenMod.

cm9 has its own swapping solution. Go to Settings/Storage/Settings. As far as your problem goes, you need to reflash cm9 unless you're comfortable with adb shell. If you are, copy the /etc/vold.fstab.backup to /etc/vold.fstab and reboot.

Thanks for your reply,
It worked for me by changing settings and reflashing CM9, Thank you

Last edited:

ngoutham

Sep 24, 2012
mybogie.com
How to make swap work on KEMIUI rom

Thanks for your reply,
It worked for me by changing settings and reflashing CM9, Thank you

Today I installed KEMIUI ROM, As per the developer it was developed based on CM9.
As swap can be done on CM9, i tried to do the same on this ROM, but I am unsuccessful.

I tired to edit vold.fstab using different file managers and terminal also, but no luck, says file is readonly.

Can anyone help me on this.

Thanks.

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
Today I installed KEMIUI ROM, As per the developer it was developed based on CM9.
As swap can be done on CM9, i tried to do the same on this ROM, but I am unsuccessful.

I tired to edit vold.fstab using different file managers and terminal also, but no luck, says file is readonly.

Can anyone help me on this.

Thanks.

You are in the exact same situation you were in yesterday. Reflash and don't use this app on anything but stock roms!

Reactions: ngoutham

ngoutham

Sep 24, 2012
mybogie.com
You are in the exact same situation you were in yesterday. Reflash and don't use this app on anything but stock roms!

Thank you dude for your reply,

That only I tried to say in my previous post....

1) I did not used this app on this ROM.

2) I did not find setting on this ROM to change between memory card.

On ROM development thread one of the member suggested to change vold.fstab file to swap memory..... Did the same and when rebooted.... same rebooting loop happening.

Then I re flashed the ROM.... vold.fsatb changed to default because of reflashing...

However Now I am gud with CM9 ROM by Jocala.

Once again thanks for your previous help and fast reply to all my doubts.

andu86

Jan 3, 2012
Bucharest
OnePlus 7
Samsung Galaxy S22
hi , i have used this app on my s5830 with android 2.3.5 and now my phone doesnt read any sd card that i insert ,i tried to revert it back to default but nothing happend it says that i dont have an sd card inserted , what can i do in this situation ? im thinking about resofting the phone and install cm9 but for this operation i need the sd card, can u please help me

Last edited:
Reactions: vvvccc

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
hi , i have used this app on my s5830 with android 2.3.5 and now my phone doesnt read any sd card that i insert ,i tried to revert it back to default but nothing happend it says that i dont have an sd card inserted , what can i do in this situation ? im thinking about resofting the phone and install cm9 but for this operation i need the sd card, can u please help me

From the OP:
Tested by me on the Samsung Galaxy Exhibit only. (I'm told it works on the Galaxy W). If your device's /system/etc/vold.fstab file matches the attached original Galaxy Exhibit fstab file, it may work for you as well.
Since you're not using those devices, you need to carefully examine your /etc/vold.fstab file and make sure it matches the fstab file attached to the OP. To recover, if you're comfortable with adb, do:
adb remount
adb shell
cp /system/etc/vold.fstab.backup /system/etc/vold.fstab
exit
adb reboot
If you're not proficient using a command line, you'll probably need to reflash.

chleoj

May 6, 2012
Olongapo City
@OP

I attached my vold.fstab from HTC Sensation XE, would it be compatible with this useful app?

Thanks & Regards...

Attachments

• vold.txt
    712 bytes · Views: 32

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tested by me on the Samsung Galaxy Exhibit only. (I'm told it works on the Galaxy W). If your device's /system/etc/vold.fstab file matches the attached original Galaxy Exhibit fstab file, it may work for you as well. Note: This app is not compatible with CyanogenMod. Root is required.

A common complaint about some Samsung Gingerbread phones is the fact that they mount the relatively small internal sd memory as /mnt/sdcard and this memory is treated as the phone's primary removable storage by some apps, ignoring the "real" removable sd card that Samsung refers to as "/mnt/sdcard/external_sd".

This simple gui allows you to swap the two so your larger "external sd" is mounted as "/mnt/sdcard/" and the smaller sd internal memory is mounted as "/mnt/sdcard/external_sd".

This is done by changing a file called vold.fstab in your phone's /etc folder. The original device vold.fstab file is backed up to /etc/vold.fstab.backup when this app first runs. Your data on /mnt/sdcard and /mnt/sdcard/external_sd is not touched in any way whatsoever. Root is required. Easy install: copy the apk file to your SD card and open with a file manager.

Please nandroid backup before testing!

If you get "Unknown Error, Contact Developer" you are more than likely not properly rooted! This app requires Superuser and Busybox to properly function!

Samsung's stock recovery only sees the internal storage, not removable. ClockworkMod sees both. You can get cwm here.

That is from within CWM from that link, maybe my old XP laptop is playing games. Is that implying that I should move files in recovery?

I also find a swapsd01.zip and a swapsd.apk, same, just different application method?
    That is from within CWM from that link, maybe my old XP laptop is playing games. Is that implying that I should move files in recovery?

No. I misunderstood your post. To mount your /sdcard (internal) in cwm mount /sdcard. To mount your removable sd do mount /emmc.
    Copy the file to your SD card. Open it in your file manager.

Thank you
    LoL technical ability overload :what:

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Nevermind :) I just installed RebelROM, this app isn't compatible, sorry. Stock-based only.