[MOD][JB][4.1] Mini LatinIME

Search This thread

shinobisoft

Recognized Contributor
Feb 18, 2012
Knoxville, TN
This thread intended for devices with limited system memory such as LG Optimus One Family devices ( P500, P505, P506, P509 ). This mod is to assist in shrinking in the overall size of the /system partition to allow for the installation of Google Apps.

I should note that I am not creating the dictionaries. I am simply placing one dictionary from each predefined dictionary into a LatinIME.apk that has English also. Please don't ask me to create a dictionary for your language if it isn't already defined, as I cannot make them. I'm only doing this to lend a hand to those who don't know how.

If your language isn't listed below, then either I haven't made an apk for it yet or your language isn't supported.

[ Simple Downloads ]

Brazilian Portuguese - Download
Czech - Download
Danish - Download
Dutch - Download
English - Download
French - Download
German - Download
Italian - Download
Portuguese - Download
Russian - Download
Spanish - Download

[ Advanced Download ]
Here's a link to my MediaFire folder with all of the mini LatinIME's. Go here

Last edited:

u.bindal

Jan 6, 2012
Bangalore
@Bill,
i told you before also that i am unable to find 'latinime' in titanium backup so that i can uninstall it first....!!
could you plz tell me that what is the exact name of latinime that shows up in titanium backup that we have to uninstall...?

shinobisoft

Recognized Contributor
Feb 18, 2012
Knoxville, TN
@Bill,
i told you before also that i am unable to find 'latinime' in titanium backup so that i can uninstall it first....!!
could you plz tell me that what is the exact name of latinime that shows up in titanium backup that we have to uninstall...?

A thought. You could also use ES File Explorer's App Manager to uninstall it. There is also an option to create a backup of the app, in Es File Explorer's settings, before deleting it.

You don't need to delete it tho. Put apk on sdcard. Make sure you have enabled the ability to install software from unknown sources. Then with any file manager, browse to the folder on your sdcard where you put this latinIME.apk and select it to install. It will overwrite the old one.

abanka27

Jul 24, 2012
Gurgaon
@Bill,

Have you ever heard of a file explorer? If yes, download a root explorer, mount system as r/w and delete the LatinIME apk from system/apps and replace it with the new apk. Don't forget to change permissions to rw-r-r

Sent from my LG-P500 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

@Bill,

And if you want the name it is Android Keyboard (AOSP)

Reactions: everyday_

gabrielking9

Feb 12, 2012
Recife
Could you upload Portuguese-pt and Portuguese-br inside of the apk?

Sent from my GT-S5570 using xda app-developers app

VR.gtmini

Oct 8, 2011
Mars
I
This thread intended for devices with limited system memory such as LG Optimus One Family devices ( P500, P505, P506, P509 ). This mod is to assist in shrinking in the overall size of the /system partition to allow for the installation of Google Apps.

I should note that I am not creating the dictionaries. I am simply placing one dictionary from each predefined dictionary into a LatinIME.apk that has English also. Please don't ask me to create a dictionary for your language if it isn't already defined, as I cannot make them. I'm only doing this to lend a hand to those who don't know how.

If your language isn't listed below, then either I haven't made an apk for it yet or your language isn't supported.

[ Downloads ]

English - Download
Italian - Download
Spanish - Download

Hey, bill thanks for you timing help.
If you could, PLEASE, provide the steps to create our own, it would be extremely beneficial.

THANKS IN ADVANCE • JB • XD/\PP

Last edited:

shinobisoft

Recognized Contributor
Feb 18, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Hey, bill thanks for you timing help.
If you could, PLEASE, provide the steps to create our own, it would be extremely beneficial.
OR
Create a package with ENGLISH & HINDI language.

THANKS IN ADVANCE • JB • XD/\PP

I'm not at my PC at the moment but if I'm not mistaken there is not a Hindi dictionary in the full LatinIME.apk . I cannot make the language dictionaries. I will check tho.
As for making one yourself, its pretty easy. Download the mini English LatinIME.apk to your PC. Rename it by adding .zip extension. Download or copy from a rom the full LatinIME.apk. Also rename by adding .zip extension. Use some kind of zip manager to open the mini English LatinIME. Browse to /res/raw/. Now do the same for the full LatinIME. find your language dict in the full LatinIME, copy it. Go to the mini English version and paste what you copied to the /res/raw folder. Make sure that your dict is just stored, not compressed. Close the zip app. Rename the edited LatinIME.apk.zip back to LatinIME.apk. Now its ready to install on your device.

Sent from my LG-P506 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: marrduk

VR.gtmini

Oct 8, 2011
Mars
Yeah, I got there's no Hindi dictionary, that's why I removed the line.
B4 a good days ago I was too trying remove all other languages but I was unsuccessful.
Anyway, The method you gave above is very easy.
THANKS again.

JB • XD/\PP

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

[ Simple Downloads ]

Brazilian Portuguese - Download
    Czech - Download
    Danish - Download
    Dutch - Download
    English - Download
    French - Download
    German - Download
    Italian - Download
    Portuguese - Download
    Russian - Download
    Spanish - Download

[ Advanced Download ]
    Here's a link to my MediaFire folder with all of the mini LatinIME's. Go here
    Update. The following languages have been added to the Downloads section ::

• Brazilian Portuguese
    • Czech
    • Danish
    • Dutch
    • German
    • French
    • Portuguese
    • Russian
    First of all thanks for your great job, really appreciated! ;)

My question. I can't see symbols on the top line of the keyboard anymore.
    It used to be like 7/8 symbols on that line before... you could see them when you weren't typing.

Thanks and you're welcome. It's a setting thing. It is in the keyboards settings. You need to turn off one of the prediction features, not sure which one tho.

Ok. Just looked into my phone. I'm running ICS, but it should be similiar. Go to Settings -> Language & Input and hit setttings for Android Keyboard. Go to Advanced settings and uncheck "Enable recorrections" or something similiar. This will reenable the punctuation characters you were referring to.
    @Bill,

Have you ever heard of a file explorer? If yes, download a root explorer, mount system as r/w and delete the LatinIME apk from system/apps and replace it with the new apk. Don't forget to change permissions to rw-r-r

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

@Bill,

And if you want the name it is Android Keyboard (AOSP)

Did anyone try it with 4.2.2 ?
    When editing the rom (P.A.C 21.0.1 For Optimus One) with OOne ROM I found that the LatinIME.apk is 28Mb (almost half all the apps) so I was thinking about deleting it then installing your apk into /system after flashing gapps because the rom has a problem with them, it needs to be trimmed in order to flash the gapps.
    I will try it later today and post results, thank you guys.

The paths to the dictionaries in the 4.2.2 LatinIME.apk are slightly different than the paths dictionaries in the 4.1.2 LatinIME.apk, so this version may not work with 4.2.2.

For the ROM you mentioned, it must be a 4.1.2 based ROM in order for the LarinIME.apk to me 28 MB. The LatinIME.apk in 4.2.2 is around 10 MB, last time I checked anyways.Trimming LatinIME.apk with OOne ROM Editor can reduce LatinIME.apk down to about 4 MB for 4.1.2 and 3 MB for 4.2.2.