KFHD System.img Restore Tool- Updated links 5/15/14

Search This thread

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
KINDLE FIRE HD ONLY!!! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!
I put together this tool for those that have tried to modify their system unsuccessfully and bricked their device. You must be able to get your device into fastboot for this to work. The easiest way is to purchase a factory cable or make your own(a $15 purchase or a little bit of your time is better than a bricked device).
The .img's in this tool were made from a rooted device w/ the su binary in place. There is no need to re-root your device, however if you choose to erase cache and user data(not necessary but may be a good idea) you will need to re-install Superuser.apk to gain root.

Instructions:
1.) Download the version you want to use from the link below and unzip.
2.) Enable fastboot mode. Turn off your device then plug into your pc using a factory cable. If the device is recognized by adb then you can use this command:
Code:
adb shell su -c "reboot bootloader"
3.) Run the SR Tool.bat and follow the instructions. If you wish to downgrade system versions see instructions at the bottom of the post.

Downloads:
KFHD_SRT_v1.3.5- 7.3.0 (seperate option for restoring factory recovery)
KFHD_SRT_v1.3.0- 7.2.3 (separate option for restoring factory recovery)
KFHD_SRT_v1.2.3- 7.2.3
KFHD_SRT_v1.2- 7.2.1
KFHD_SRT_v1.0- 7.1.5

I apologize for the size of this tool. The .img files used are rather large. If you want to use your own backup .img then download the lastest version of this tool from here. Just place your system.img inside images folder. It must be named system for option 1 or system2 for option 2

UPDATES:
4/20/13
-separate option to restore factory recovery and boot now on v1.3.0
4/17/13
-KFHD_SRT_v1.3.5
-flashing boot and recovery images now a separate option
3/21/13
-KFHD_SRT_v1.3.0
-boot and recovery images inlcuded
-SuperSU and GoogleServicesFramework now included as system apk's
12/22/12
-KFHD_SRT_v1.2.3
-System v7.2.3
-New option for installing Googleservicesframework.apk
12/17/12
-downgrade method instructions(confirmed)
12/1/12
-KFHD_SRT_v1.2
-new system partition backups for software v7.2.1
-vending.apk to phonesky.apk for newest version of play store

Instructions for downgrading to 7.2.1:
1.) Download boot and recovery imgs(these are backus from 7.2.1) from this LINK and place in the folder where you have access to fastboot or inside the KFHD_SRTool_v1.2 folder
2.) Use KFHD_SRTool_v1.2 to flash system.img.
3.) Erase userdata and cache
4.) Open a cmd prompt from the folder where you placed the previously downloaded .img's.
Use these cmds:
Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot boot.img
      fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery recovery.img
5- Reboot.

Those who deserve our thanks:
kinfauns for the how to on backing up and restoring system software.
bazm60 for confirming the method above works.
hellocali626 for bringing to my attention the need to flash boot and recovery images for downgrade.

Last edited:

RustedRoot

Dec 7, 2010
Tucson AZ
Amazfit
To anyone who has downloaded or will download this update- The backups were made from software v7.2.1_user_2030320. A couple of days after I made this backup amazon sent out a second update to 7.2.1_user_2040020. That said if you use this tool with the images included, your device will update to the new version. You will lose root, launchers, and phonesky.apk. It will not cause any problems and will still restore the system but you will have to re-root. Sorry for any inconvenience and I will try to load new backups as soon as I can.

FWIW, I rerooted my KFHD after v7.2.1_user_2030320 was pushed. Oddly it did not lose root after it was updated to 2040020. Only change I noticed was the reappearance of ads in the start-up/lock screen. Anyone else experience the same?

Reactions: neoseekar

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
FWIW, I rerooted my KFHD after v7.2.1_user_2030320 was pushed. Oddly it did not lose root after it was updated to 2040020. Only change I noticed was the reappearance of ads in the start-up/lock screen. Anyone else experience the same?

Think you've gotten lucky, i've flashed mine a couple times with the 2030320 backup and when it updates it loses root every time.

Reactions: 8Succi8

diazlaz

Mar 12, 2006
Same thing happened to me. Everything worked including root.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
@onemeila, have you confirmed that a factory cable works on the KFHD to put it into Fastboot? Thanks

Yes it works on the KFHD 7" and KF2 7", It does not work on the 8.9" version however it is not needed because you can use a fastboot command with product id while powering on and works everytime, even when no adb and in bootloop(confirmed personally all of the above)
Hope you don't mind I've directed a few people to your link for factory cables.

SkOrPn

Jun 3, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
www.planetamd64.com
Yes it works on the KFHD 7" and KF2 7", It does not work on the 8.9" version however it is not needed because you can use a fastboot command with product id while powering on and works everytime, even when no adb and in bootloop(confirmed personally all of the above)

No I do not mind, lol... However, I do not own any of these devices and yet people keep asking me if it will work on their device. I keep seeing different reports on the subject and do not want to be giving out false hope. I will update my list of confirmed devices.

Thanks for all the work you do to help the Kindle community :good: and thanks for the positive endorsement on my Factory Cable...

Best Regards
SkOrPn

Reactions: SFDave and onemeila

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
No I do not mind, lol... However, I do not own any of these devices and yet people keep asking me if it will work on their device. I keep seeing different reports on the subject and do not want to be giving out false hope. I will update my list of confirmed devices.

Thanks for all the work you do to help the Kindle community :good: and thanks for the positive endorsement on my Factory Cable...

Best Regards
SkOrPn

Thank you for making such high quality cables at such a reasonable price. I would order one myself but had already made mine before I saw your post and now have upgraded to the 8.9 which scared me when my cable wouldn't work on it, haha Amazon was prolly trying to lock it down more but managed to make it easier

DssTrainer

Jun 5, 2008
Chicago
If I have the 7.2.2 update on KFHD 7", Can this be used to revert back to 7.2.1 so that we can root again?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    KINDLE FIRE HD ONLY!!! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!
    I put together this tool for those that have tried to modify their system unsuccessfully and bricked their device. You must be able to get your device into fastboot for this to work. The easiest way is to purchase a factory cable or make your own(a $15 purchase or a little bit of your time is better than a bricked device).
    The .img's in this tool were made from a rooted device w/ the su binary in place. There is no need to re-root your device, however if you choose to erase cache and user data(not necessary but may be a good idea) you will need to re-install Superuser.apk to gain root.

Instructions:
    1.) Download the version you want to use from the link below and unzip.
    2.) Enable fastboot mode. Turn off your device then plug into your pc using a factory cable. If the device is recognized by adb then you can use this command:
    Code:
    adb shell su -c "reboot bootloader"
    3.) Run the SR Tool.bat and follow the instructions. If you wish to downgrade system versions see instructions at the bottom of the post.

Downloads:
    KFHD_SRT_v1.3.5- 7.3.0 (seperate option for restoring factory recovery)
    KFHD_SRT_v1.3.0- 7.2.3 (separate option for restoring factory recovery)
    KFHD_SRT_v1.2.3- 7.2.3
    KFHD_SRT_v1.2- 7.2.1
    KFHD_SRT_v1.0- 7.1.5

I apologize for the size of this tool. The .img files used are rather large. If you want to use your own backup .img then download the lastest version of this tool from here. Just place your system.img inside images folder. It must be named system for option 1 or system2 for option 2

UPDATES:
    4/20/13
    -separate option to restore factory recovery and boot now on v1.3.0
    4/17/13
    -KFHD_SRT_v1.3.5
    -flashing boot and recovery images now a separate option
    3/21/13
    -KFHD_SRT_v1.3.0
    -boot and recovery images inlcuded
    -SuperSU and GoogleServicesFramework now included as system apk's
    12/22/12
    -KFHD_SRT_v1.2.3
    -System v7.2.3
    -New option for installing Googleservicesframework.apk
    12/17/12
    -downgrade method instructions(confirmed)
    12/1/12
    -KFHD_SRT_v1.2
    -new system partition backups for software v7.2.1
    -vending.apk to phonesky.apk for newest version of play store

Instructions for downgrading to 7.2.1:
    1.) Download boot and recovery imgs(these are backus from 7.2.1) from this LINK and place in the folder where you have access to fastboot or inside the KFHD_SRTool_v1.2 folder
    2.) Use KFHD_SRTool_v1.2 to flash system.img.
    3.) Erase userdata and cache
    4.) Open a cmd prompt from the folder where you placed the previously downloaded .img's.
    Use these cmds:
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot boot.img
          fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery recovery.img
    5- Reboot.

Those who deserve our thanks:
    kinfauns for the how to on backing up and restoring system software.
    bazm60 for confirming the method above works.
    hellocali626 for bringing to my attention the need to flash boot and recovery images for downgrade.
    You are correct, I used the FireFlash.
    This is what I used with fireflash11.apk
    kfhd7-freedom-boot-7.4.6
    kfhd7-twrp-2.7.0.0-recovery
    Maybe this can help provide more information for you?

I have a fastboot cable and can get in fastboot mode and red screen only.

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

Ya I believe that I bricked it as I can not enter any adb commands only some fastboot commands are working at it only works in fastboot mode.

I think that I am going to chop this one up as a loss....

Again thanks for your assistance..

All you can do is fastboot commands while in fastboot, which is all you have access to atm. You no longer have adb nor do you need it atm. When you restore, you will. Red screen when using FireFlash is from not ticking the stack override box before flashing. Just use the System Restore Tool and flash your tablet to stock and start over. Your tablet is recognised in fastboot and should be recoverable.
    Uploading the 7.4.9 rooted stock images now.

http://goo.gl/VO8prH

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Best Regards
    SkOrPn
    Update: problem fixed. I took your bat the gx.jar and the images folder and placed them in the platform tools folder and viola. Great tool. Thanks for your time and effort

Sent from my Stock Htc evo 4g