[Q] ma7 kernal

Search This thread

craign1317

Mar 28, 2011
Milwaukee
I just used mobile odin to flash the new ma7 no data and my kernal still says oct 3 for the date. Then I tried to flash the zip from rwilcos site and it still says oct 3 2012. Shouldnt it be jan 29th 2013. What am I doing wrong?

KEYofR

Jun 14, 2010
Apparently the posted kernel in the rom/kernel/modem thread isn't right. In the meantime, if you don't want to do the full update.zip, you can install garwynn's ma7 kernel from here:

http://www.sxtpdevelopers.com/showthread.php?t=151

It's actually not exactly the ma7 kernel though. It's the ma7 kernel source, but updated to the latest version of linux, then built and packaged same as ma7. It's good.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

BlueGoldAce

Jun 7, 2010
Any disadvantage to using the kernel you mentioned?

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

Is the above kernel essentially the same as stock?

KEYofR

Jun 14, 2010
I don't know of any disadvantage so far. It's what I'm running.

There could be some problem that no one's noticed yet.

It started out as just the ma7 source from samsung which was based on linux 3.0.31 or so, and he just applied all the incrimental linux patches from there to current 3.0.63 or so. It still has whatever changes samsung had in there. So it should be basically the same in any way we can even detect. The only real difference is he enabled a bunch of different cpu speed governors. You can just ignore that. If you don't use setcpu or similar to pick a different governor then the default one is the same.

BlueGoldAce

Jun 7, 2010
I don't know of any disadvantage so far. It's what I'm running.

There could be some problem that no one's noticed yet.

It started out as just the ma7 source from samsung which was based on linux 3.0.31 or so, and he just applied all the incrimental linux patches from there to current 3.0.63 or so. It still has whatever changes samsung had in there. So it should be basically the same in any way we can even detect. The only real difference is he enabled a bunch of different cpu speed governors. You can just ignore that. If you don't use setcpu or similar to pick a different governor then the default one is the same.

I noticed the default looked to be on demand. I thought the default for samsung was pegasusq.

So what is the default governor? I also noticed the billy available i/o is noon, deadline, and cfq. Which one do you recommend?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

KEYofR

Jun 14, 2010
You might be right about the samsung stock cpu sched. I don't have a stock kernel anymore to double check. There isn't much harm in just trying different ones and seeing how it goes for a few days.

Default io sched should be cfq and I think that's probably the best except in pretty exotically special cases. But honestly I don't think any will make very much difference on flash vs hard drives. You can google tests that people have run on ssd's to get an idea.

Last edited:

swalter718

Jan 21, 2013
There's actually a substantial i/o performance difference between cfq and deadline. IMO, deadline provides superior performance on flash-disks(ssd) paired with multi-core processors. Try deadline for 72 hours and compare for yourself :)

Sent from an evil, dark place...
~ ROM: JellyBomb v14.0
~ Radio: L900VPAMA7
~ Kernel: Perseus alpha32