[MOD] Somebody enabled Miracast for Nexus 7

Search This thread

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
I figure with the cost of a Miracast receiver, I would be just as well to pay the cost difference to buy a next-generation Nexus 7 (which is said to support HDMI out*) and sell the old one. Then I also get the bonus of a higher-res screen, better CPU, rear camera etc.

*via SlimPort I think, not MHL. Which means I still cough up money for a new adapter, but it should be cheaper than a MiraCast box.

aLPaSLaN07

Oct 5, 2010
Istanbul
I've managed to connect to my LG Smart TV but I can't get to stream.. It connects but I don't know how to trigger screen casting..?? The app is a disaster..

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
I was totally set to upgrade to the new Nexus 7, and then came the part of the announcement where Chromecast would only be $35. Hot damn! So I ordered one from Amazon and I think I will just stick with my existing N7. It still leaves the question of how to get MKV/MP4/AVI files streamed from my network to Chromecast but I think that will be figured out in the weeks to come.

zaclimon

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
I was totally set to upgrade to the new Nexus 7, and then came the part of the announcement where Chromecast would only be $35. Hot damn! So I ordered one from Amazon and I think I will just stick with my existing N7. It still leaves the question of how to get MKV/MP4/AVI files streamed from my network to Chromecast but I think that will be figured out in the weeks to come.

It's more a question of if local files will be available to be played using chromecast? Because up to now, it's only online services that seems to be supported.

mdowns989

Perhaps something like Plex could stream to Chromecast.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

From what I understand once you have Chromecast installed you can just add the Chromecast Extention on PC..input a path to your local files and hit Cast tab...

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

From what I understand once you have Chromecast installed you can just add the Chromecast Extention on PC..input a path to your local files and hit Cast tab...

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/07/25/tip-you-can-play-local-video-files-through-chromecast/

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
Yes I have Chromecast now. I'm able to cast non HD MP4 files with acceptable results but not AVI or MKV. Turns out my computer isn't powerful enough to simultaneously transcode and cast.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

sark666

Dec 2, 2010
Yes I have Chromecast now. I'm able to cast non HD MP4 files with acceptable results but not AVI or MKV. Turns out my computer isn't powerful enough to simultaneously transcode and cast.

Kind of drifting off-topic, this isn't a chromecast thread.... I'm much more interested in the n7 having miracast.

But since we've drifted I'll say this about the chromecast, or how it came about. First the nexus Q, everyone was like wtf a 300 dollar orb with no remote that can only stream stuff from google play? ! No thanks.

See, google should have said let's add features like local streaming of pictures, vdieos, music. Maybe even be able to browse the web with it. Scale back the price to 199 and lose the stupid form factor of an orb and they would have had a winner. But that's not what google wanted. They knew all too well what they want you to buy. The want you to buy a device to stream content from their servers. Sure netflix et al is a bonus, but it's content being streamed and all your tablet/phone is doing is 'queuing' up the content.

But instead of giving people what they actually want, they wanted to stick with this idea. So repackage it in a dongle, sell it for 35 bucks. What everyone said last year about the NQ is true of the CC, it's just a smaller form factor and lower price.

So people are trying to figure out how to stream local content with it, with limited success so far, but that's not google's intention.

It sounds like what you want it miracast like functionality but for whatever reason, google won't give you that.

Last year,it was the n7 doesn't have dual band so it can't do it, even worse reasons for the n10. Well, the N7 2 has dual band but no mention of it having miracast is there? Why is that?

I'm ranting a little I guess google is not impressing me with their moves (e.g. gtalk switched over to hangouts).

But kudos to the developer for making this. Someone said they want to see this in all roms. My question is, why isn't it by now and what took so long for one person to even try?

I ranted about this before here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=36842228

I'd like to see every rom have miracast, every rom to have multi-user (phone or not), every rom to have sip dialer (whether it's 3g/4g or wifi only).and I would have thought devs would do this, but no one seems to enable these features in their roms. The code is there so why not?

gk1984

Jan 4, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus
i have tried it, nice work. i hope that other developers use this mod in their work. i'm waiting for the 4.3 update of this mod. the only thing i didn't like is that i had to do a full wipe.

by the way, does the new nexus 7 (2013) has miracast out of the box ???

a very small demo below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Imd6JthbM4

I'm waiting for 4.3 support too, however I don't have a miracast device to use it with anyway... They're too expensive for me to justify right now.

But the new nexus 7 I've read does have miracast support out of the box.

Btw, I'm rather inexperienced with devices with internal storage only and have had wiping data also wipe the simulated SD card. Can you point me to some resources on how best to do this or share some tips - this has mostly been a problem with my htc one. I don't flash much on my n7 so this may not be a problem.

Sent from my HTCONE using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

ahmedsalah83

Apr 22, 2013
I'm waiting for 4.3 support too, however I don't have a miracast device to use it with anyway... They're too expensive for me to justify right now.

But the new nexus 7 I've read does have miracast support out of the box.

Btw, I'm rather inexperienced with devices with internal storage only and have had wiping data also wipe the simulated SD card. Can you point me to some resources on how best to do this or share some tips - this has mostly been a problem with my htc one. I don't flash much on my n7 so this may not be a problem.

actually this nexus 7 is for my son, so there is nothing important on it but I made a backup of all the apps using nexus root toolkit by Wugfresh. Then i flashed the zip file by kensuke and SuperSU.zip using TWRP and made a full wipe. Restarted the device then restored my backup using Wugfresh toolkit.

Last edited:

gk1984

Jan 4, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus
actually this nexus 7 is for my son, so there is nothing important on it but I made a backup of all the apps using nexus root toolkit by Wugfresh. Then i flashed the zip file by kensuke and SuperSU.zip using TWRP and made a full wipe. Restarted the device then restored my backup using Wugfresh toolkit.

Thanks. The Flashable zip and backup didn't get wiped on the n7?with my htc one, when I rooted it, wiping data/factory reset in twrp wiped everything. Was forced to sideload the rom with the toolkit. Just been afraid to do much since then. I've had my n7 for about 8 months and never really did much flashing with it.

sark666

Dec 2, 2010
i have tried it, nice work. i hope that other developers use this mod in their work. i'm waiting for the 4.3 update of this mod. the only thing i didn't like is that i had to do a full wipe.

by the way, does the new nexus 7 (2013) has miracast out of the box ???

a very small demo below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Imd6JthbM4

In seems pretty much in sync. Could you do another video interacting with it? Like browsing? And I'm curious how gaming would be but obviously don't have too much hope on gaming working well.

What is the miracast dongle you are using?

adil17

Sep 16, 2012
[NOOB QUESTION ALERT] Am I supposed to flash the zips in the op?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just found this on GitHub:
    Somebody, called Kensuke, enabled Mircast (Streaming screen over WiFi) for the Nexus 7. I don't have mine here so I can't test it.
    Maybe somebody can try it out.
    It seems that he compiled the complete 4.2.2 ROMs with the addional Miracast Support.

Try it on your own Risk!

Source:

Github Repo:
    https://github.com/kensuke/How-to-Miracast-on-AOSP

Installation:
    https://github.com/kensuke/How-to-Miracast-on-AOSP/wiki

DL Links:
    NX7 3G
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/178702/AOSP-Miracast-otapackages/Nexus7_3G(tilapia)/20130703_00_full_tilapia-ota-eng.satoken.zip

NX7
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/178702/AOSP-Miracast-otapackages/Nexus7_WiFi(grouper)/20130703_00_full_grouper-ota-eng.satoken.zip

Credits all to Kensuke!
    His HP: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/RC3/
    Working fine here.
    Using Samsung Allshare cast dongle.

Sent from my Full Android on Grouper using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Kind of drifting off-topic, this isn't a chromecast thread.... I'm much more interested in the n7 having miracast.

But since we've drifted I'll say this about the chromecast, or how it came about. First the nexus Q, everyone was like wtf a 300 dollar orb with no remote that can only stream stuff from google play? ! No thanks.

See, google should have said let's add features like local streaming of pictures, vdieos, music. Maybe even be able to browse the web with it. Scale back the price to 199 and lose the stupid form factor of an orb and they would have had a winner. But that's not what google wanted. They knew all too well what they want you to buy. The want you to buy a device to stream content from their servers. Sure netflix et al is a bonus, but it's content being streamed and all your tablet/phone is doing is 'queuing' up the content.

But instead of giving people what they actually want, they wanted to stick with this idea. So repackage it in a dongle, sell it for 35 bucks. What everyone said last year about the NQ is true of the CC, it's just a smaller form factor and lower price.

So people are trying to figure out how to stream local content with it, with limited success so far, but that's not google's intention.

It sounds like what you want it miracast like functionality but for whatever reason, google won't give you that.

Last year,it was the n7 doesn't have dual band so it can't do it, even worse reasons for the n10. Well, the N7 2 has dual band but no mention of it having miracast is there? Why is that?

I'm ranting a little I guess google is not impressing me with their moves (e.g. gtalk switched over to hangouts).

But kudos to the developer for making this. Someone said they want to see this in all roms. My question is, why isn't it by now and what took so long for one person to even try?

I ranted about this before here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=36842228

I'd like to see every rom have miracast, every rom to have multi-user (phone or not), every rom to have sip dialer (whether it's 3g/4g or wifi only).and I would have thought devs would do this, but no one seems to enable these features in their roms. The code is there so why not?
    I just found this on GitHub:
    Somebody, called Kensuke, enabled Mircast (Streaming screen over WiFi) for the Nexus 7. I don't have mine here so I can't test it.
    Maybe somebody can try it out.
    It seems that he compiled the complete 4.2.2 ROMs with the addional Miracast Support.

Hi, D0ubl3_X

thank you posting to XDA my repository!
    i did 10 posts and got a permit to write dev thread!!

currently, i'm struggling with Android 4.3, Nexus 7(2012) and Miracast Source function.
    it's seems to a long way..

thanks
    I will look into adding this to my ROM, ReVolt ROM ! Stay tuned !!