[APP][ROOT] Google Talk 1.3 with Video calling, Now wifi optional!

Search This thread

britoso

Jan 13, 2010
Orlando
This is the new Google talk from the Nexus S update yesterday.

Requires: 2.3+ (as per this) and root. It has been reported to not work on ARM6 CPUs

What I did:
Deodexed, made a one line comment in the smali, recompiled, pushed...works!!!
File edited: \com\google\android\talk\SigninActivity.smali
Deleted line (#1141): invoke-interface {v4}, Lcom/google/android/gtalkservice/IImSession;->logout()V

Versions available: (Use the latest from below (#7), or use DeToX-cz's installer app)
1. "Talk_with AV.zip". Same as stock with just the FC fixed so it works on other phones.
2. "Talk_with_AV_no_wifi.zip" or "talk1.3.nowifi.update-signed.zip". Added a fix to let it work over your data connection.
3. "talk1.3.nowifi.v2-signed.zip". Added an additional fix to let it work over data.
4. xilard version. #3 with Camera and microphone tweaks.
5. Paul@Modaco's gTalk installer. Installs the new gTalk files. Needs root. Not sure what mods he has incorporated in it.
6. xilard version +theos0o portrait fix, by $omator
7. version "1.33" by theos0o [thread][multiupload link]. I copied the 3 files in the update.zip manually using android commander and it works fine. (Nexus one, 2.3.5 CM nightly)

To install:
  1. Via ADB
    (lines starting with # are comments)
    Code:
    [COLOR=SlateGray]#mount the /system partition as writeable[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Blue]adb [/COLOR][COLOR=Green]remount[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=SlateGray]#backup the old Talk app[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]adb [/COLOR]shell [COLOR=Red]mv [/COLOR]/system/app/Talk.apk /system/app/Talk.apk1
    [COLOR=SlateGray]#uninstall the old gtalk, I think it clears the related cached bytecode too.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]adb [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrange]uninstall [/COLOR]com.google.android.talk
    [COLOR=SlateGray]#copy the two new files[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]adb [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]push [/COLOR]libtalk_jni.so /system/lib/
    [COLOR=blue]adb [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]push [/COLOR]Talk2.apk /system/app
  2. Via a flashable update. Choose one. (These sometimes require wifi)
    Make sure you backup Talk.apk just in case.
    CM7, works for most, some report an error.
    Alternate1, this version simply copies the two system files, no mounting. (via puertoblack2003)
    Alternate2, uses busybox to mount/unmount /system. This is an unsigned zip. (via abhi0n0nakul)
    Alternate3: This full google apps pack from 20110503 includes it.
  3. Using a root capable file management app like root explorer
    Installing using Root Explorer (via I2asta)

Credits:
1) Google for everything Android
2) The CyanogenMod team for CM7!!!!
3) JesusFreke for smali/baksmali

Notes:
- Many have reported the inability to switch between cameras. We will probably need to wait for the full 2.3.4 update.
- After installing, click on your own avatar in Google Talk and check "Allow video and voice chats" to enable. (via BluechipJ)
- Video does not work by default for most non Nexus S phones. Other threads note that you need 'GoogleServicesFramework.apk' from the 050311 google apps pack.

Files and Screenshot attached.
fKJts.png

Updates:
05/04/11
Thanks to a hint by jmgrosen I've modded it such that you can always make A/V calls over cellular data. Attached. Follow the same instructions. Note that the gapps pack has Talk named as Talk.apk, so if you flashed that make sure you delete Talk.apk otherwise Talk2.apk will be ignored.
Attached update.zip too: talk1.3.nowifi.update-signed.zip
05/09/11
Another jmgrosen tip gives us a new and improved wifi-free version. wifiConnected() now always returns true.
Attached talk1.3.nowifi.v2-signed.zip. If you only need the updated apk, get it here
05/10/2011
More features thanks to xilard (allow front facing camera + camera switch, voice chat speaker fix)
APK: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13976634&postcount=414
05/24/2011
Added "versions" section
07/24/2011
Added $omator version
09/22/2011
Added new theos0o version "1.33"

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Talk_with_AV_no_wifi.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 7,996
  • talk1.3.nowifi.update-signed.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 10,248
  • talk1.3.nowifi.v2-signed.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 24,483
Last edited:

brunes

Dec 9, 2006
I confirmed this works on my Galaxy S i9000 with both video and audio only calls; however it is using the wrong camera and I can't figure out how to switch it to the FFC.

EDIT: Actually it is not sending video :( I was mistaken. I can see video though :)

Last edited:

skola28

Oct 10, 2007
Rowlett, TX

Tried it just as you had it shown on my Hero CDMA with CyanogenMod 7.0.2...
Runs, but gets stuck at the boot screen with a wonky 'loading' type circle animation in the upper right hand corner. Eventually I get a Force Close.

Trying to do a Fix Permissions now...

Mod Edit: do not quote the ENTIRE OP...

Last edited by a moderator:

Budius

May 1, 2010
Tested on nexus one running 2.3.3:
Installed OK, needed a "adb root" to have full access... I did it on recovery but I reckon it would work anyway.

Tested, I could see and hear the person perfectly clear.. but the person couldn't hear or see my camera image.

Tested on AdventVega tablet running 2.2
adb does it stuff but the Gtalk icon simply disappeared from my tablet. I'll try soon to install 2.3.3 for it...

Reactions: Agravs

dmesg

Aug 13, 2008
but what is the point?
it only works one way... u can see and hear the person in the PC, but the person on the PC can't see or hear you....

I have the following behavior:

- Mobile can initiate the call. During the call mobile sees/hears the PC; PC hears, but does not see the mobile.

- PC cannot initiate the call to mobile. Mobile is not shown with video/audio icon.

(i9000 2.3.3)

edude03

Aug 16, 2007
I have the following behavior:

- Mobile can initiate the call. During the call mobile sees/hears the PC; PC hears, but does not see the mobile.

- PC cannot initiate the call to mobile. Mobile is not shown with video/audio icon.

(i9000 2.3.3)

Same phone, same issue. But in addition, Gtalk only detects one camera (rear). It seems to be an issue with the way samsung implemented the camera interface, but I'm looking into it.

pcboyy

Mar 29, 2008
Kelate
Here's an testkey signed update.zip.
Someone please try it and report back.(I've not tried it.)

Note: This replaces Talk.apk with the new version. Make sure you have a backup if you need to go back to the old version.

You forgot to rename to .zip :) but its understandable

Anyway i get FC on talk app with both methods (adb shell and cmw)

/nik on XWJVA

Reactions: britoso

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the new Google talk from the Nexus S update yesterday.

Requires: 2.3+ (as per this) and root. It has been reported to not work on ARM6 CPUs

What I did:
    Deodexed, made a one line comment in the smali, recompiled, pushed...works!!!
    File edited: \com\google\android\talk\SigninActivity.smali
    Deleted line (#1141): invoke-interface {v4}, Lcom/google/android/gtalkservice/IImSession;->logout()V

Versions available: (Use the latest from below (#7), or use DeToX-cz's installer app)
    1. "Talk_with AV.zip". Same as stock with just the FC fixed so it works on other phones.
    2. "Talk_with_AV_no_wifi.zip" or "talk1.3.nowifi.update-signed.zip". Added a fix to let it work over your data connection.
    3. "talk1.3.nowifi.v2-signed.zip". Added an additional fix to let it work over data.
    4. xilard version. #3 with Camera and microphone tweaks.
    5. Paul@Modaco's gTalk installer. Installs the new gTalk files. Needs root. Not sure what mods he has incorporated in it.
    6. xilard version +theos0o portrait fix, by $omator
    7. version "1.33" by theos0o [thread][multiupload link]. I copied the 3 files in the update.zip manually using android commander and it works fine. (Nexus one, 2.3.5 CM nightly)

To install:
    1. Via ADB
      (lines starting with # are comments)
      Code:
      [COLOR=SlateGray]#mount the /system partition as writeable[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=Blue]adb [/COLOR][COLOR=Green]remount[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=SlateGray]#backup the old Talk app[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=blue]adb [/COLOR]shell [COLOR=Red]mv [/COLOR]/system/app/Talk.apk /system/app/Talk.apk1
      [COLOR=SlateGray]#uninstall the old gtalk, I think it clears the related cached bytecode too.[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=blue]adb [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrange]uninstall [/COLOR]com.google.android.talk
      [COLOR=SlateGray]#copy the two new files[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=blue]adb [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]push [/COLOR]libtalk_jni.so /system/lib/
      [COLOR=blue]adb [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]push [/COLOR]Talk2.apk /system/app
    2. Via a flashable update. Choose one. (These sometimes require wifi)
      Make sure you backup Talk.apk just in case.
      CM7, works for most, some report an error.
      Alternate1, this version simply copies the two system files, no mounting. (via puertoblack2003)
      Alternate2, uses busybox to mount/unmount /system. This is an unsigned zip. (via abhi0n0nakul)
      Alternate3: This full google apps pack from 20110503 includes it.
    3. Using a root capable file management app like root explorer
      Installing using Root Explorer (via I2asta)

Credits:
    1) Google for everything Android
    2) The CyanogenMod team for CM7!!!!
    3) JesusFreke for smali/baksmali

Notes:
    - Many have reported the inability to switch between cameras. We will probably need to wait for the full 2.3.4 update.
    - After installing, click on your own avatar in Google Talk and check "Allow video and voice chats" to enable. (via BluechipJ)
    - Video does not work by default for most non Nexus S phones. Other threads note that you need 'GoogleServicesFramework.apk' from the 050311 google apps pack.

Files and Screenshot attached.
    fKJts.png

Updates:
    05/04/11
    Thanks to a hint by jmgrosen I've modded it such that you can always make A/V calls over cellular data. Attached. Follow the same instructions. Note that the gapps pack has Talk named as Talk.apk, so if you flashed that make sure you delete Talk.apk otherwise Talk2.apk will be ignored.
    Attached update.zip too: talk1.3.nowifi.update-signed.zip
    05/09/11
    Another jmgrosen tip gives us a new and improved wifi-free version. wifiConnected() now always returns true.
    Attached talk1.3.nowifi.v2-signed.zip. If you only need the updated apk, get it here
    05/10/2011
    More features thanks to xilard (allow front facing camera + camera switch, voice chat speaker fix)
    APK: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13976634&postcount=414
    05/24/2011
    Added "versions" section
    07/24/2011
    Added $omator version
    09/22/2011
    Added new theos0o version "1.33"

Enjoy!
    Here's an testkey signed update.zip.
    edit:it works

Note: This replaces Talk.apk with the new version. Make sure you have a backup if you need to go back to the old version.
    How to install

Easiest way is using Root Explorer..

Download and extract Talk_with AV.zip to your sdcard.

Open Root Explorer and navigate to extracted files on your sdcard.

Copy talk2.apk and go to /system/app

Press Mount R/W at the top right and then press Paste on the bottom left

Now you have both talk.apk and talk2.apk

Rename Talk.apk to Talk.apk1
    Select and hold the other Talk2.apk and press Permissions and select:
    User: Read Write
    Group: Read
    Others: Read

And press Ok

Now press and hold on Talk2.apk and press Rename

And rename Talk2.apk to Talk.apk

go back to your extracted files on your sdcard and copy libtalk_jni.so

Navigate to system/lib
    Press Mount R/W at the top right and then press Paste on the bottom left

Press and hold on libtalk_jni.so and select Permissions
    change the permissions to:
    User: Read Write
    Group: Read
    Others: Read

now reboot your device.

now open Talk and press on your own name where you can change your own status and tick the allow Video- and voicechat

Thats all
    Nice, Did you also add in the wifi fixes?

Added. Fixes in the update:

- nowifi v2
    - allow front facing camera + camera switch
    - voice chat speaker fix

Edit: installation fix for recovery + GoogleServicesFramework.apk: gtalk1.3b.nowifi.ffc-signed.zip
    Talk 1.3 Installer

Hello, I made this little application, that allows you to install various versions of those modified Google Talks (and libs). I don't wan't to take any credit on modifing them so I wrote this into the app information and there are links to this thread in the menu.

Also I would like to ask you guys, if you could hit me up on email tadeas.kriz[at]gmail.com if there will be new version of this modification, so I can keep the installer up to date.

Thank you.

Link to the market: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.brainwashstudio.talkinstaller