[MOD][HOWTO]TW Launcher with different grid sizes

Search This thread

absinthesummer

Account currently disabled
May 16, 2012
Usa
meettomy.site
@garyd9,

This post is informative and helpful, and encourages others to learn as well. I know it's an old thread, but I've come back to it multiple times for reference. I'd like to add to this by posting the threads that provides the tools needed to modify apks, and tutorials on how to use them. They can be found here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2213985

And here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=33815550#post33815550

These threads are extremely helpful for those who want to learn how to decompile, modify, recompile, & sign apks. Also, recommend Notepad++ for editing XML files for those who aren't familiar with it.

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Don't want to hijack your thread, just posting some related, helpful tools & guides provided by helpful people who are far more talented than I. :D

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Does this method still applies to the new kit kat releases? I tried comparing and the file structure seems to be different? Anyone any idea how to change the grid size on the new kit kat TouchWiz ROMs?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

The Touchwiz Launcher apk is now in priv-app. The decompiled apk files are pretty much the same, but the location of the actual home launcher has moved to /system/priv-app.

Reactions: vincentshjuan

DarkAngel

Aug 1, 2006
Arizona
@garyd9

TY sir. I have found this tut very informative and it has led me in the right direction to what I needed to do. Although I did not use your launchers I now have a working S5 Launcher with all the works on my Sprint Galaxy Mega.

good.gif

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was going to re-post the apk's I pulled together for modifying the samsung touchwiz launcher to have an extra row of icon space on the home screens and an extra column as well. However, there's a better solution:

THIS IS A HOWTO. This isn't a "download the attached file and donate to me" thread. This is a thread intended to help people to learn how to modify their own devices. If all you want is something pre-made to install on your phone, there are several good customized firmwares (ROMs) available in this subforum. The attached files are so people can download a working example to compare to their own work. Please keep this in mind when replying to the thread.

First, a link to another thread that explains how to modify the launcher. These instructions are for a galaxy S III, but they work just fine for the Note II:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=27433971

That's not my thread and 99.9% of any credit for this should be given to the person who posted the that thread and the people from whom that person learned from.

Now, I found I didn't like these directions as-is. First, I thought the icon labels got too truncated when using this with 5 columns. Second, I really didn't like how this mod moved the little "page" indicator dots below the docked icons. (The photo's on this thread don't show that, but if you follow the directions, they are moved.)

So, I spent a few hours playing with sizes and such to get things to look a bit better (from my perspective.) That's how I came up with the apk's I posted a week or so ago.

Below, I'll dump my notes on the measurements that I kept so I could reproduce the changes I did (for the next firmware update.) They don't make much sense on their own, but if you combine them with the above linked thread, they make perfect sense. Keep in mind that these are my notes and not even an attempt as a tutorial.

Now, these notes are YOUR notes as well. Please use them, change them to suite your own desires, or ignore them.

There's only one thing better than downloading a custom firmware for your phone: Customizing that firmware yourself.

Code:
    SecLauncher2... modifying the grid sizes

To enable scrolling on any of these:

res/values/bools.xml:  change fixedWallpaperOffset to "false" (to turn on scrolling)

The rest of the files to edit are all in "res/values-sw359dp-xhdpi"

For 4x5 (extra vertical row):

integers.xml:

<integer name="home_cellCountX">4</integer>
        <integer name="home_cellCountY">5</integer>

dimens.xml

<dimen name="app_icon_size">44.0dip</dimen>

<dimen name="home_cellWidth_port">80.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="home_cellHeight_port">90.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="home_cellGapX_port">10.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="home_cellGapY_port">2.0dip</dimen>

<dimen name="home_pageMarginPlusPaddingTop">12.0dip</dimen>

<dimen name="home_pageIndicatorTop">484.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="home_pageIndicatorTopShrunken">484.0dip</dimen>

For 5x4 (extra horiz column):

use the 4x5 and 5x5 to figure it out.

for 5x5 (both extra row and extra column):

integers.xml

<integer name="home_cellCountX">5</integer>
        <integer name="home_cellCountY">5</integer>

dimens.xml

<dimen name="app_icon_size">44.0dip</dimen>

<dimen name="home_cellWidth_port">68.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="home_cellHeight_port">90.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="home_cellGapX_port">4.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="home_cellGapY_port">2.0dip</dimen>

<dimen name="home_pageMarginPlusPaddingTop">12.0dip</dimen>

<dimen name="home_pageIndicatorTop">484.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="home_pageIndicatorTopShrunken">484.0dip</dimen>

styles.xml  (this is needed for 5 columns or the icon labels get truncated - the change is only the textSize)

<style name="HomeIcon" parent="@style/BaseHomeIcon">
            <item name="android:textSize">12.0dip</item>
    As a bonus, I'll also upload some apk files that already have these changes in place. My primary intention for uploading them is to serve as an example, but they are fully functional on a stock i317 firmware.

If you want to use them as-is, do a backup first. Then figure out which you want based on the name. (4x5 is 4 columns and 5 rows IN ADDITION to the dock row. if "scroll" is in the name, the wallpaper will scroll, else it won't.) Then rename the file to "SecLauncher2.apk", and use something like root explorer (that allows you to write to the /system/app partition) and overwrite the existing file by the same name. After you do that, your home launcher will get a little nutty for a second or three, and then it'll work fine. (If it doesn't, restore the backup.)

(If you download one of these files with IE, the file extension might get changed from "apk" to "zip" If so, just change it back to .apk.)

Take care
    Gary
    I do appreciate your response to my inquiry, and if you have any further ideas about how that would be done, I would still like to learn about that.
    Unfortunately, your question wasn't specific enough to answer. Are you referring to the font of the icon labels on the home screen, or something else? If the homescreen, a hint to the answer can be found in the original post, near the bottom of the code block that alters the styles.xml file...

Please keep in mind that I'm trying to get other people into the frame of mind for development, not to figure everything out for others. (That's not any type of attack - it's a generic statement.) My hope is that if I point people in the right (or left) direction, that they'll take things one step further... and share whatever they figure out.

The next person will take it to the next level, and so on. Eventually, instead of having just a few people here on XDA doing 95% of the development, I hope to get more people contributing and eventually have 20-30% of the community doing development of some kind or another.

I know its ambitious, and there's only a very tiny percentage of the community even using a NoteII. However, each single person that does one thing and shares is another person towards that goal.

Take care
    Gary
    No you cannot make a request. I suggest you re-read this thread and see how "request" get dealt with (I did). This is a HOW-TO thread, not a please make this for me thread. If you want something made, ask for it somewhere else. If you want to learn how to make these yourself, then stick around.

THIS IS A HOWTO. This isn't a "download the attached file and donate to me" thread. This is a thread intended to help people to learn how to modify their own devices. If all you want is something pre-made to install on your phone, there are several good customized firmwares (ROMs) available in this subforum. The attached files are so people can download a working example to compare to their own work. Please keep this in mind when replying to the thread.
    Could you share yours please and post it here? Big thanks!

Sent from my AT&T Galaxy Note II /w wireless charging.

You can get it from THIS POST have fun!

*Update* Updated to 6x7 grid size with up to 7 icons in the dock, get it from THIS POST have more fun! ;)
    I used the 4x5 scroll apk. It worked great. . I was worried about it resetting all my folders and widgets, but they just bumped up. The 4x4 twcalendar is a little cut off on top and bottom, but not enough to effect me. My music and google search widgets dissapeared but I reset them and all is good. Since the Music widget is re-sizable is here a way to make all widgets re sizable with the tw launcher?