[ROOT][CWM] Huawei Ascend Y201 Pro U8666

Search This thread

Difusal

Jul 3, 2011
London, UK
This is just a copy of the guide on myhuawei.net.
I did this because I had some trouble finding the guide since I always look for stuff like this here on XDA.
I also decided to do this because the guide was not in English and the translations by google were not so good. :)

Huawei Ascend Y201 Pro U8666​

Root + CWM Recovery

I am not responsible for any damage you may do to your phone by following this guide.

The files you will need, download them and extract them to a folder on your desktop:
  • RootY201Pro.zip
  • UnlockBootloader.zip
  • Recovery.zip
(PS: Links removed, check post attachments)

- Now, get your phone and go to Settings > Developer Tools. Make sure USB debugging is enabled.

- Also disable Fastboot in Settings.

- Connect your phone to your computer via USB and let it install the drivers. Make sure they are installed correctly. Do not select "Turn on USB storage" on your phone.

Root + Unlock Bootloader:

1. Go to the folder on your desktop where you extracted the files.
2. Right click on unlockbootloader.exe and select 'Run as administrator'.
3. Click "ROOT Your Phone", the program will work and then close on it's own.
4. In your phone, go to the apps drawer and there should be a new app called Superuser.
5. Now go to your PC, open the same program, but this time click "Unlock BOOTLOADER".
6. Let it finish, the program will close on it's own, and then power off your phone.
7. Unplug the phone from the PC and we are done.

You have now successfully rooted and unlocked the bootloader of your device! :)

Installing CWM Recovery:

1. Turn off your phone if it isn't already.
2. Press and hold the following buttons simultaneously for ~10 seconds: volume down + home button + power button
3. Release the buttons and your phone should not boot, it should be 'stuck'. That's what we wanted.
4. Connect your phone to the PC via USB. It should install the drivers fine.
5. Open CMD and browse to the folder in your desktop.
6. Once you are in the folder type the following commands:
6.a) fastboot erase recovery, then press Enter. Let it work...
6.b) fastboot flash recovery recovery.img, press Enter and let it work again.
6.c) fastboot reboot, and press Enter...
7. Your device is now rebooting. You can unplug it from the PC.

You have now installed CWM Recovery.

Instructions on how to boot to CWM Recovery:

1. Turn off your phone.
2. Press at the same time for ~5 seconds: volume up + power button
3. You should be now on CWM Recovery.

Don't forget to say thanks or to donate!

Attachments

• Root_Y201Pro.zip
    383.9 KB · Views: 8,514
  • unlockbootloader.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 11,573
  • recovery.zip
    5 MB · Views: 10,374
Last edited:

outlawz_pt

Oct 18, 2007
Yes it works. Be sure to have android drivers installed. Sorry about this newbie question, what is CWM Recovery? Can you point me to a link I can read about it? Thanks.

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Forget it, I used the search button..

Reactions: Difusal

outlawz_pt

Oct 18, 2007
You're right, i´m not familiar with android flashing, only with WM. I though it was similar. I rooted phone following your instructions. Tried to install cwm but process stucked..

outlawz_pt

Oct 18, 2007
I disabled fast boot. I will try again and post feedback.

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Success. Thanks again for your instructions. I'm backing up my system right now. If i make a factory reset should i get a huawei clean device or with operator stuff?

Difusal

Jul 3, 2011
London, UK
I disabled fast boot. I will try again and post feedback.

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Success. Thanks again for your instructions. I'm backing up my system right now. If i make a factory reset should i get a huawei clean device or with operator stuff?

glad you made it! Regarding your question, I don't know.. please share your results when you finish making the factory reset :) I would like to know as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is just a copy of the guide on myhuawei.net.
    I did this because I had some trouble finding the guide since I always look for stuff like this here on XDA.
    I also decided to do this because the guide was not in English and the translations by google were not so good. :)

Huawei Ascend Y201 Pro U8666​

Root + CWM Recovery

I am not responsible for any damage you may do to your phone by following this guide.

The files you will need, download them and extract them to a folder on your desktop:
    • RootY201Pro.zip
    • UnlockBootloader.zip
    • Recovery.zip
    (PS: Links removed, check post attachments)

- Now, get your phone and go to Settings > Developer Tools. Make sure USB debugging is enabled.

- Also disable Fastboot in Settings.

- Connect your phone to your computer via USB and let it install the drivers. Make sure they are installed correctly. Do not select "Turn on USB storage" on your phone.

Root + Unlock Bootloader:

1. Go to the folder on your desktop where you extracted the files.
    2. Right click on unlockbootloader.exe and select 'Run as administrator'.
    3. Click "ROOT Your Phone", the program will work and then close on it's own.
    4. In your phone, go to the apps drawer and there should be a new app called Superuser.
    5. Now go to your PC, open the same program, but this time click "Unlock BOOTLOADER".
    6. Let it finish, the program will close on it's own, and then power off your phone.
    7. Unplug the phone from the PC and we are done.

You have now successfully rooted and unlocked the bootloader of your device! :)

Installing CWM Recovery:

1. Turn off your phone if it isn't already.
    2. Press and hold the following buttons simultaneously for ~10 seconds: volume down + home button + power button
    3. Release the buttons and your phone should not boot, it should be 'stuck'. That's what we wanted.
    4. Connect your phone to the PC via USB. It should install the drivers fine.
    5. Open CMD and browse to the folder in your desktop.
    6. Once you are in the folder type the following commands:
    6.a) fastboot erase recovery, then press Enter. Let it work...
    6.b) fastboot flash recovery recovery.img, press Enter and let it work again.
    6.c) fastboot reboot, and press Enter...
    7. Your device is now rebooting. You can unplug it from the PC.

You have now installed CWM Recovery.

Instructions on how to boot to CWM Recovery:

1. Turn off your phone.
    2. Press at the same time for ~5 seconds: volume up + power button
    3. You should be now on CWM Recovery.

Don't forget to say thanks or to donate!

it works. you must be doing something wrong. Tell me where you're having problems.
    WOW! i had no clue about all this.. really good to know..
    the good thing is my phone is not yet briked or unbootable.. i am still able to boot it to full system mode.. and its usable.. only issue is the blank splash screen and not being able to boot to recovery.

So now to find the actual model of the phone.. in the settings it shows Hwawei Inspira H867G. Can you tell me where i can finf the build.prop file? i have erminal emulator.. can look for it and see what that file says..

Also how do i flash stock recovery to /cust? i mean where do i get image of the stock recovery? as i mentioned i have one more untouched phone of the same make / model.. anyways i can pick it up from the other phone?

I am amazed at your detailed knowledge you have of Huawei phones.. i am hoping u can help me with my main reason for going through all this hassle for a new ROM. I am basically trying to Unlock the phone (carrier Unlock). I purchased the unlock code and have the code.. but due to tracfone locking down the phone, it does not even give me the option to put in an unlock code when i put in a foreigh sim.. i am hoping a new ROM can help solve that..

it is just stuff i picked off the web (and do trial-error tests on the phones) over the last 4/5 years.

i am afraid to say this but new roms dont solve the sim-lock problem (carrier Unlock), the sim-lock system files are in a hidden partition, flashing new or stock roms wont unlock the carrier or mess with the unlock code screen.
    it should appear a screen asking for a code if the phone boots with a foreign sim card... unless the wrong unlock code was inserted 3 times in a row, making the sim-lock permanently locked and if that happens you'll need a... i dont remember the right name now but its a second unlock code used to unlock a locked unlock screen.
    the guys in gsm forum or the dc-unlocker can give more detailed info on that.

recovery goes to recovery partition
    /cust partition is a different partition and, usually, have the vendor customized system (apps, apns, launcher wallpaper and shortcuts, splash screens, bootanimation, etc)

in the backups you made wasnt there a file called recovery.img and a cust.img?
    you just need to flash that back or restore the phone using the full backup made earlier. the cust.img is flashed like the system.img. the web got lots of tutorials of how to restore backups.

like the recovery
    Just put the system.img file somewhere on your PC, connect your device via a USB cable, reboot into your bootloader's fastboot mode and then:

fastboot flash system /path/to/system.img

example:
    fastboot flash system d:/backup/system.img

or, if system.img is in the same folder as the executed adb (fastboot)

fastboot flash system system.img

replace system with cust and system.img by cust.img

if you dont have a backup, you can make one from the other phone and use it to restore the other. there is tutorial here on xda of how to make backups without root.

build.prop is located in /system folder.
    in terminal you type
    cat /system/build.prop
    to see the full file and locate these lines

ro.build.id
    ro.build.version.sdk
    ro.product.model
    ro.product.name
    ro.product.device
    ro.product.board
    ro.board.platform
    ro.build.description
    ro.build.fingerprint
    ro.build.display.id
    ro.confg.hw_appsbootversion
    ro.confg.hw_appversion
    ro.confg.hw_appfsversion

or type getprop before each line, like this:
    getprop ro.product.name
    thx m8.

will he lose everything on SD or only in System partition? maybe he should do a backup w/ Titanium?

for root you don't lose anything
    after that with root you can make a backup
    Rooted phone fine. Then after clicking unlock bootloader the phone powered off and now will not turn back on. The menu/home/back buttons flash 10 times and then phone goes blank. Will not show anything on screen. Computer does not recognize it.

Take off batery for ten minuts.