Windows 8 does not see DNA once in bootloader mode

Search This thread

famouscollin

Jul 30, 2012
I tried the elementary os on a flash drive and cd and windows 8 will not let either boot. I also chabged the bios to let each boot first. Mite try dual boot option. Have no trouble with my windows 7 lap top.

Is your windows 8 comp stock w8? I only ask cuz mine is w8 pro upgraded from w7. And pardon me if this is a silly question for you but have you opened sdkmanager and taken ALL updates? W8 is funky with sdk manager from my experience, I had to take a lot of updates one at a time for them to install properly..

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

mopartonyg

Jan 19, 2011
L.A. Area
Is your windows 8 comp stock w8? I only ask cuz mine is w8 pro upgraded from w7. And pardon me if this is a silly question for you but have you opened sdkmanager and taken ALL updates? W8 is funky with sdk manager from my experience, I had to take a lot of updates one at a time for them to install properly..

I did the same Windows 8 pro upgrade from windows 7 pro. I did install all the sdk updates and all the windows updates. Tried uninstalling drivers and reinstalling. Guess I will just use my laptop for now. Thanks

famouscollin

Jul 30, 2012
I did the same Windows 8 pro upgrade from windows 7 pro. I did install all the sdk updates and all the windows updates. Tried uninstalling drivers and reinstalling. Guess I will just use my laptop for now. Thanks

This is for a different device but sounds like a similar fix to your problem check it out.. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2488935

Windows 8.1 upgrade driver reinstall

danjull

Feb 26, 2011
Athens
I tried the elementary os on a flash drive and cd and windows 8 will not let either boot. I also chabged the bios to let each boot first. Mite try dual boot option. Have no trouble with my windows 7 lap top.

What did you use to make the USB boot? I've had mixed results with some of the programs. UNetbootin and Linux Live USB Creator (LiLi) are my two go tos, If one doesn't boot up I try it with the other and it usually works. I've had more consistent working USBs with LiLi.

mopartonyg

Jan 19, 2011
L.A. Area
What did you use to make the USB boot? I've had mixed results with some of the programs. UNetbootin and Linux Live USB Creator (LiLi) are my two go tos, If one doesn't boot up I try it with the other and it usually works. I've had more consistent working USBs with LiLi.

I tried Unetbootin and 1 other program ( I cant remember) but neither worked. maybe I will try Linux live . Thanks for the ideas

jhr5474

Sep 20, 2010
Holley, Oregon
Going from the Galaxy Nexus

To the DNA and this phone has lots of potential. JUST NOT STOCK!!!!!! Damn you 8.1!!!!!! I had W8 when I upgraded to 8.1 it killed the ability to tun off driver signature enforcement. Windows 8 it worked to go to advanced startup. Will keep you guys posted. I will find a way!:laugh:

Reactions: mopartonyg

jamiethemorris

Jan 7, 2013
I would suggest a Linux live DVD. But... Really? You can't turn off driver signature enforcement??? I upgraded to windows 8.1 knowing this is a known issue, luckily I also have Linux and osx on my computer so it's a non-issue for me.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk Pro

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

According to this advanced startup should still work in 8.1 http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how...8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

Found this too http://forums.team-nocturnal.com/index.php/topic/1362-how-to-adb-in-windows-81/ hope that helps.

Reactions: mopartonyg

mopartonyg

Jan 19, 2011
L.A. Area
I would suggest a Linux live DVD. But... Really? You can't turn off driver signature enforcement??? I upgraded to windows 8.1 knowing this is a known issue, luckily I also have Linux and osx on my computer so it's a non-issue for me.

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

According to this advanced startup should still work in 8.1 http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how...8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

Found this too http://forums.team-nocturnal.com/index.php/topic/1362-how-to-adb-in-windows-81/ hope that helps.

Thanks Jamie, I always have had adb working. Just can not use fastboot in bootloader, I have tried 100 different driver combos.

jbarcus81

Jul 30, 2010
Marietta, OH
Samsung Galaxy Watch 5
Yeah.. I turned signature enforcement off and still couldn't do it.. unless someone can decompile the EXE and recompile so that it doesn't check OS version? I'm at a total loss until HTC updates which I doubt they ever will..

mopartonyg

Jan 19, 2011
L.A. Area
OK I gave up, I loaded Linux Mint on my pc and now have fastboot functions back. I can dual boot Windows 8.1 and Linux for the best of both worlds. Hopefully they will release new HTC drivers soon.

Phaded

Apr 6, 2010
If you can somehow load up (roll back) to Windows 8 you can install necessary duvets and they remain functional after upgrading to 8.1

Sent from my DLX using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is how to do it bros

That is for usb 3.0 mostly. could not get it to work

This is how I went from 0 functionality too 100% adb\fastboot functionality on windows 8.1.

BE SURE TO HAVE DOWNLOADED the htc drivers.zip, extract it somewhere you can find later, like desktop or downloads

1st. (not Necessary) boot into fastboot mode to easily check with CP to see if it works
    2nd. Uninstall all drivers related to your device (device manager, "MY HTC" or "ANDROID 1.0" etc.., uninstall device"
    3rd. plug in device with either usb enabled or in fastboot mode.
    4th. wait for "installing device prompt" to finish
    5th. open device manager, second top option called "ACTION", the secret is in there bro's :)
    6th. click ADD LEGACY HARDWARE!
    7th. click manual install.
    8th. click android usb devices.
    9th. click on MY HTC. (if your's has two, that's alright. just click one of them. if you don't have MY HTC, then click on what you have, then "HAVE DISK"
    10th. browse to where you unzipped those drivers.
    11th. click on androidusb, not the other htc ones.
    12th.hit next, and next
    13th. you will get a dialog saying success, but device won't start. unplug and plug in your dna, boot to fastboot and see your beautiful device number come up :D super simple!
    i had same issue before

I am running windows 8.1. my computer will show phone as an adb device but when I boot into bootloader it says it is not a recognized usb device. I have loaded and unloaded tons of drivers and am having no success. I think this started after I tried to flash a new asop rom, I was stuck in voice roaming. In the process of RUU the bootloader says locked but I can still flash recoveries and roms. Some how I have data back also. Bootloader says s-off with a 1111111 cid. Not sure what happened or what to do now. any help is greatly appreciated

I had same issue with me .. I used my friend's laptop running on win 8 and it worked ,I have the drivers that worked with my friend's win 8
    let me know if you want that drivers I will upload it somewhere providing you the link
    Still no fastboot for Windows 8/8.1 that I can figure out.. always end up in device manager with a device that failed enumeration .. Thanks HTC!! Oh .. and when we try to use fastboot commands in command prompt, at least for me, just get "waiting on device" which will never come.. not without drivers.. and I even disabled driver signature checking.. At a loss for sure..
    Wow. All this really confuses me I'm running windows 8 and am having no problem with drivers or fastboot/adb..
    I'm gonna poke around on my computer a lil bit, cuz at first I had a similar problem but eventually got it all figured out.. I'm not remembering right off hand exactly what I did..
    Going from the Galaxy Nexus

To the DNA and this phone has lots of potential. JUST NOT STOCK!!!!!! Damn you 8.1!!!!!! I had W8 when I upgraded to 8.1 it killed the ability to tun off driver signature enforcement. Windows 8 it worked to go to advanced startup. Will keep you guys posted. I will find a way!:laugh: