Help - G2 or Nexus 5

Search This thread

victorbrca

Jul 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
victormendonca.com
I currently have a GS3 with CM11 4.4.2 and I'm thinking of upgrading. I've been doing some research and my two options are Nexus 5 or LG G2. I know well the differences, but I was wondering how the LG G2 with Kitkat compares to the Nexus 5?

I don't really care about the camera (as long as it works). I usually have Tasker, BT (synced with my G-Shock watch) and BitTorrent Sync running 24/7 (I know the G2 has a bigger battery that I could use, but I'm wondering if it makes that big of a difference).

Any feedback is welcomed.

Thanks,
Vic.

hamad138

Mar 3, 2012
N5

horrible.speakers, and washed out display

G2

Perfect hardware
But software is way behind

marsisabar

Feb 6, 2014
I currently have a GS3 with CM11 4.4.2 and I'm thinking of upgrading. I've been doing some research and my two options are Nexus 5 or LG G2. I know well the differences, but I was wondering how the LG G2 with Kitkat compares to the Nexus 5?

I don't really care about the camera (as long as it works). I usually have Tasker, BT (synced with my G-Shock watch) and BitTorrent Sync running 24/7 (I know the G2 has a bigger battery that I could use, but I'm wondering if it makes that big of a difference).

Any feedback is welcomed.

Thanks,
Vic.

I got the LG G2 less than a month ago. I've been asking myself that question since I got it (G2 vs N5).

I almost regretted getting the G2 but the battery is too good. I ended up flashing custom ROMs instead of waiting for LG's OTA and I am SO glad I did.

This phone now feels like a Nexus 5 in every way except for the shell. I put on ParanoidAndroid and it works flawlessly. The sweet part is I get to have the latest stock 4.4.2 android with no bloatware, and I still have the large battery of the LG G2.

Torethyr

Jul 30, 2011
Miami
I held both in my hand before I made a decision. I was really dead set on getting a Nexus 5 because it was so much cheaper (plus I was coming from the N4 which I loved), but something about it didn't vibe with me. There was a sharp edge that dug into the heel of my hand on the back of the N5. Not painful, but enough to make me aware of it which is also enough to annoy. The G2 was more comfortable.

So I went with the G2 with the intention of flashing it to an AOSP rom. I regret some things--I would have really loved to keep wireless charging of the N5, plus the material on the back of the Nexus 5 beats the material on the back of the G2 by a mile in my eyes. But I could never be happy with a device that I wasn't totally comfortable using.

That said, a family member has a Nexus 5 so I get to play with both. While the N5 has features I would have prefered keeping, I don't regret my decision to go with the G2 instead. It's a great device.

abdel12345

Dec 25, 2012
I actually had the nexus 5 and traded fir a g2. The battery difference is amazing. I get almost double the screen time with the g2. The camera and screen on g2 are also nicer and then all the other stuff is Pretty much the same (besides software obviously) and the nexus 5 is a tiny bit smaller. I also don't really like the buttons on the g2 but I have the verizon version so they are smaller than normal. At least they don't rattle like a lot of the nexus 5 ones. A case helps a lot with finding the buttons easier. Overall I prefer the g2 because of the bigger battery and nicer screen. The nexus 5 has yellowish tint thigh I didn't really notice until trying the g2. The nexus 5 was better for me in terms of looks which I thought were nicer though I cover it with a case anyway and the software was smoother. Coming front an s3 you'll find the g2 great and I'd go with that one. Flash a cushion Rom and it'll be a better version of the nexus 5 imo. Hope this helps

Sent from my VS980 4G using xda app-developers app

G1_enthusiast

Oct 11, 2009
if you have to ask then just go with the nexus 5.....because you obviously dont know the importance of owning the G2 so you will not miss it.

Reactions: RoosterX

tiguy99

Oct 3, 2007
Chicago
I heard that with the G2 people have problems hearing you... well, the same post reported the same on the N5, but the G2 was worse.

Seriously thou, who uses their cell phones to make calls? ;-p

Never had this problem with my G2. People have praised the audio quality from my phone for the 5 months or so I've had it

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

I got the LG G2 less than a month ago. I've been asking myself that question since I got it (G2 vs N5).

I almost regretted getting the G2 but the battery is too good. I ended up flashing custom ROMs instead of waiting for LG's OTA and I am SO glad I did.

This phone now feels like a Nexus 5 in every way except for the shell. I put on ParanoidAndroid and it works flawlessly. The sweet part is I get to have the latest stock 4.4.2 android with no bloatware, and I still have the large battery of the LG G2.

This

somnambulator

Sep 21, 2010
I came from a GNex running cm 10.1 and the g2 is a thousand times better. there are things I miss not having or being able to easily configure on the stock Rom but I don't think I could be
any happier with it. it's not super over the top like touchwiz and even the stock launcher has allowed me not to install nova prime. I'm on vzw so my version has wireless charging.

the battery life of the g2 is simply amazing. this is my first phone without a removable battery and I do not worry about running out of juice later in the day. nor do I have to change my usage habits or carry spare batteries. the battery is going to last the entire day, period.

the knock on feature let's u forget about the button placement entirely. I still use my gn on my wireless network and find myself tapping the screen to turn it on every single time. it's something every phone should have.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Reactions: Guaranab

razrlover

Mar 28, 2012
Google Pixel 6
Originally i got G2 because my gnex was beyond dead and on Tmobile jump I could get N5 when it came out. Now not happening i will either get the G3 or G2 in white. Not worth it to switch. Aosp was my main reason for n5 but with all the dev support for g2 i get aosp plus now i know i have the better screen and battery life on the g2! Cheers!

Sent from my LG-d801 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

DHM078

Jun 18, 2013
If the camera isn't a big deal then honestly it's a question of battery and software. I don't really think the buttons make a huge difference, especially with double tap to wake. As a Verizon customer, I was not able to consider the Nexus, but as an incredibly heavy user of my phone, I wouldn't switch to the Nexus even if I could, the battery on this phone is just too fantastic. The Verizon variant doesn't sacrifice wireless charging, and I love the camera on it, and the screen is definitely higher end. There is the matter of software. Obviously the Nexus 5 comes out of the box with a pretty much flawless version of the latest of AOSP. The G2 has plenty of custom ROMs that are quite nice. But like with most non-existent devices, there are some minor issues Sometimes due to having older proprietary drivers/binaries. For me it isn't an issue, some of these ROM/kernel combinations are solid as a rock for me. And then there's the stock ROM. Honestly, it's fantastic, probably the best OEM ROM I have ever used. I ran Malladus, a slightly modified version of it for a long time and honestly I only switched because of a few very specific things that I just had customize. Stock/Stock-based + G2 Xposed is a fantastic combination. It's up to you and you know how you use your phone, but for me the battery alone would seal the deal. It's just so liberating to have it and not have to worry about it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Lanman1978

Feb 19, 2013

The only thing that really hinders the G2 is the outdated software otherwise it beats the N5 with a larger battery and better camera. Oh and
I really happen to like the rear facing buttons a whole lot. It makes one handed operation a breeze. Unless of course if you happen to have the vzw version where they changed the buttons and made them smaller and flatter which really sucks if you ask me.

noXcape

Mar 12, 2012
Had the nexus 5 and it was very nice....but the g2 is better...,software is behind...yes...but its not like the gs is running ice cream sandwich.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

victorbrca

Jul 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
victormendonca.com
Thanks a lot for all the replies everyone. I really like the feel and case of the Nexus 5, and I actually dislike the buttons and the LG logo on the front of the G2. But the battery is a big thing for me as I'm always running a lot of apps in the background. And software is not a biggie because I'll be putting kitkat on it.

Now I just need to make sure my Casio watch is compatible with it.

Thanks again.
Vic.

abdel12345

Dec 25, 2012
One more advantage of g2 is probably accessories like otterbox. You won't find that for nexus 5. I don't use otter box either way but a lot of people care about that thigh I think the case is way too big ans ruins thephone.

Z-Man™

Apr 15, 2012
East Bethel
Battery is definitely ridiculously better on the g2 but dev support and true bugless aosp is better on n5 it's all about what you want

Sent from my LG-D801 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

abdel12345

Dec 25, 2012
Battery is definitely ridiculously better on the g2 but dev support and true bugless aosp is better on n5 it's all about what you want

Sent from my LG-D801 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

+1 to that but once we get kitkat aosp should improve

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    if you have to ask then just go with the nexus 5.....because you obviously dont know the importance of owning the G2 so you will not miss it.
    I came from a GNex running cm 10.1 and the g2 is a thousand times better. there are things I miss not having or being able to easily configure on the stock Rom but I don't think I could be
    any happier with it. it's not super over the top like touchwiz and even the stock launcher has allowed me not to install nova prime. I'm on vzw so my version has wireless charging.

the battery life of the g2 is simply amazing. this is my first phone without a removable battery and I do not worry about running out of juice later in the day. nor do I have to change my usage habits or carry spare batteries. the battery is going to last the entire day, period.

the knock on feature let's u forget about the button placement entirely. I still use my gn on my wireless network and find myself tapping the screen to turn it on every single time. it's something every phone should have.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk