can I install any rom

Search This thread

mholloway

Dec 9, 2011
new jersey
New to this device, but sofar I know I can run MK3 roms.but I see some roms which are MD something.can I flash any rom on my SPH-L710

metalfan78

Jan 30, 2010
Littleton, CO
If it's a new device with mk3 on it then odds are you have the Knox bootloader so you cannot flash anything lower than 4.3. Boot into download mode and if you see 'warranty bit 1 or 0' you can only flash 4.3 or higher roms.

Reactions: mholloway

Mr. Struck

May 20, 2013
Longmont, Colorado
A point of clarification, you can still flash any ROM from any Android build you desire-4.1.2, 4.3, 4.4. The danger is when you try to use Odin to push an older firmware which contains a different, non-Knox bootloader. That is when Knox will step in and brick your phone. Flashing custom ROM's via recovery is harmless.

metalfan78

Jan 30, 2010
Littleton, CO
For some reason I thought any lower version was a bad idea, not just Odin flashes. But after I read your reply I remember that, thanks.

Mr. Struck

May 20, 2013
Longmont, Colorado
For some reason I thought any lower version was a bad idea, not just Odin flashes. But after I read your reply I remember that, thanks.

From a personal standpoint, even though I don't have Knox, I just wouldn't want to go backwards anyway! That is what is fun and exciting about Android, is the new builds with new features, constantly improving on the past builds!

mholloway

Dec 9, 2011
new jersey
A point of clarification, you can still flash any ROM from any Android build you desire-4.1.2, 4.3, 4.4. The danger is when you try to use Odin to push an older firmware which contains a different, non-Knox bootloader. That is when Knox will step in and brick your phone. Flashing custom ROM's via recovery is harmless.
Thats good to know about odin, thanks

metalfan78

Jan 30, 2010
Littleton, CO
From a personal standpoint, even though I don't have Knox, I just wouldn't want to go backwards anyway! That is what is fun and exciting about Android, is the new builds with new features, constantly improving on the past builds!

I flashed back to 4.1.2, my phone was not happy with 4.3 at all. Bad call quality, randomly never connecting to calls, various things acted unstable with various kernels. I love the features of 4.3, but 4.1.2 just works better for me.

Reactions: Mr. Struck

Mr. Struck

May 20, 2013
Longmont, Colorado
I flashed back to 4.1.2, my phone was not happy with 4.3 at all. Bad call quality, randomly never connecting to calls, various things acted unstable with various kernels. I love the features of 4.3, but 4.1.2 just works better for me.

Definitely a matter of YMMV for sure! I have been loving KitKat, but 4.3 did work nicely for me as well. I also rarely use anything TW based as well, so that could make a difference too.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If it's a new device with mk3 on it then odds are you have the Knox bootloader so you cannot flash anything lower than 4.3. Boot into download mode and if you see 'warranty bit 1 or 0' you can only flash 4.3 or higher roms.
    OK, don't flash any rom that is below version 4.3, you'll end up with a brick.