[MOD] Taste Nexus S Gingerbread on Galaxy S v6 - network (unstable) - tech DEMO

Search This thread

st3chn0

Jul 24, 2010
Leeds
If its this easy for supercurio
why can't samsung get an official gingerbread using the nexus s as base, lazy gits xD

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Red John

Jul 22, 2010
If your GPS doesn't work and you have lag then it is your fault for being too lazy to fix it

Being too lazy to fix it? What the hell is wrong with you? I've flashed every damn ROM under the sun to this phone and it still doesn't come close to the GPS accuracy of ANY other phone.

tryklon

Oct 3, 2010
Porto
If its this easy for supercurio
why can't samsung get an official gingerbread using the nexus s as base, lazy gits xD

Easier said than done, in a legal pov offcourse.
That would be like industrial espionage, Samsung using other companies work to adapt it to their phones. They need to develop their own version from scrath

tryklon

Oct 3, 2010
Porto
uhhh, who do you think makes the nexus s?

Mate, do you have any understanding of legal contracts? Samsung builds their phones but only the hardware, not to mention there are some differences like memory. Google is completely responsible for all the software developments for the phone, and it's not because Samsung builds the damn plastics and internal circuits that they have the right to steal their software work and adapt it to their own phones...

djorkaeff

Aug 12, 2010
Holy.... mother of..... waiting.... for..... Gingerbread kernel..... DOES NOT COMPUTE....

AT Samsung HQ: what? somebody is trying to port gingerbread? now? AWWW.... when we just unofficially released 2.2.1 (sad faces) ?...

---> IN YOUR FACE! :))

Reactions: jakemochas

meisterlampe2000

Jun 1, 2006
They could and will use the aosp code as a base,just like supercurio will do.the problem on ssung is tjat they need to do lots of testing ti avoid pushing a faulty build to 5 million phones ...
Next thing is there are of course other things in the pipeline...they have more phones then just sgs that need some review in terms os software updates.

We only need to be patient,ginger was born just some days ago !
I am sure sammy wil deliver some beta in the next days,and supercurio will give us a clean version even faster

Inosite

Oct 26, 2010
Aszód
Mate, do you have any understanding of legal contracts? Samsung builds their phones but only the hardware, not to mention there are some differences like memory. Google is completely responsible for all the software developments for the phone, and it's not because Samsung builds the damn plastics and internal circuits that they have the right to steal their software work and adapt it to their own phones...

Man, Android is fkin OPEN-Source, that's the point. Also why do you think NExus One roms wont work with Galaxy S? Cuz the hardware is totally different. Nexus S is almost the same as Galaxy S, the only difference is the internal storage. So if Samsung has a working rom for Nexus S, they already have a 95% done rom for Galaxy S

pawitp

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 30, 2010
Bangkok

Samsung can doing because Google released it as open-source.

But the reason that they won't do it because they want TouchWiz on it.

vivekrk44

Aug 26, 2010
I'm was on darkys 5.2 and the gps was working fine. Getting a fix in about 15 seconds and accuracy of 10 meters. That's all I need

SamHaLeKe

Aug 17, 2010
Brussels
Being too lazy to fix it? What the hell is wrong with you? I've flashed every damn ROM under the sun to this phone and it still doesn't come close to the GPS accuracy of ANY other phone.

Try the moon to :) or flash latest speedmod with gps fix, use gps fix from sgs tools, delete gps data, reboot, connect to wifi or 3g, put on gps, launch gps test plus, lock to as many satelites as you can while at least walking for at least 15 minutes. After that start google maps and post your findings ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE statement.

As original author for this thread, videos and first demos, I'm not currently working on the Gingerbread port these days (heavily busy working on Voodoo sound improvements).
    It doesn't mean I lost interest in it, only that I miss time at the moment.

CyanogenMod team work on a serious port of Gingerbread for Galaxy S, witch won't be just a technical demo like the original spirit of this one.
    Of course, such goal requires a lot of work, dedication, and also some calm.
    There is a lot of natural interest about Gingerbread on Galaxy S, and it's perfectly understandable too.

Giving an ETA until the porting work is done or some major advance is made would be dishonest.
    It means that not asking for ETA will be appreciated. However, you're welcome discussing other aspects.

If you want more technical insights and a few updates by most actives developers for this port, i would recommend to follow:
    http://twitter.com/CMSGSTeam
    http://twitter.com/codeworkx
    http://twitter.com/dumdidum

[list needs to be completed, thanks for input]

Thank you!

Original post:

Galaxy S with Nexus S kernel - Booting Nexus S Android Gingerbread
    Videos are here:

http://www.youtube.com/supercurioxda

Early demo Releases - V6

Requirements
    You must be root on your phone
    Your /data must be converted in Ext4 by Voodoo lagfix or another Ext4 lagfix.
    Verizon Fascinates are not yet supported - Epic4G will require a lot more development.
    You must have proceed to complete backups before
    Some busybox installation is also useful for tar.

Another Important note
    Be sure you have access to the download mode using the 3 buttons combination.
    If you don't, it will be extremely difficult (even if in theory not impossible) to to flash another kernel back.

Steps:

1/ Download this system dump on your sdcard:

system dump archive

2/ Run these commands
    Code:
    adb shell 
    su
    cd /data
    mkdir gingerbread
    cd gingerbread
    busybox tar zxvf /sdcard/system-dump-as-root.tar.gz
    busybox cp -a /efs efs
    sync
    reboot download
    3/ unzip the attached nsonsgs.tar.zip to nsonsgs.tar

4/ flash the kernel with Odin or Heimdall - no pit - no re-partition

Watch Gingerbread boot on your phone !

How do I get back?

Everything is still in place on your phone - no harm done.
    All you need to do is to flash your preferred custom (that support Ext4 obviously) Kernel back on your phone

What's about this port:

- It uses the Nexus S kernel compiled from sources
    - It runs the exact /system image release, we dumped on IRC from an actual Nexus S device.

Am i French ?

Now you don't have any doubt anymore :D

Which filesystem ?

This early preview runs on Ext4. no RFS at all, the kernel don't support RFS.

Does everything work ?

Nope, but there are progresses.
    Don't work: GPS / Voice / camera
    Work: everything else: like sound, GL acceleration etc

Will it work ?

I think most of it will work after countless hours spent on it.

Is it flashable with Odin ?

Won't be so easy, but it's one of the goals

Do you work alone ?

Credits go the IRC channel #NSdev on freenode, and now a team formed regrouping most Captivate/Vibrant/Fascinate/I9000 developers and CyanogenMod team, with Kernel and ROM developers and also newcomers.

When will this/that work ?

The only honest answer is: there is no answer.
    Please don't ask for ETA, don't pressure developers, they need peace of mind :)

Is this Open Source ?

Everything is fully published under an open source license

Latest initramfs: https://github.com/project-voodoo/nsonsgs-initramfs
    Kernels: https://github.com/galaxys-kernel

Who are the actual contributors to the code?

For the kernel, you can follow works here : who / when.
    https://github.com/galaxys-kernel/linux_samsung_galaxys_port/commits/galaxys-port
    As it is a team work, sometimes it's not the guy who had the idea who commits the code, but still :)

Articles:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/18/samsung-galaxy-s-receives-gingerbread-port-right-from-the-nexus/
    http://briefmobile.com/samsung-galaxy-s-android-2-3-gingerbread
    And a lot of other ones now!

Versions:

V6
    - Easy root. You only need to install Superuser app from Market.

Downloads :

Kernel you can flash with Odin / heimdall / kernel flashing apps

ClockWorkMod unsigned update.zip

V5
    - Wifi semi-working (tend to crash the phone on Wifi sleep timeout)
    - Calls working but no DATA for me (coolya had data, which means: erratic) - voice not tested.
    - kind of laggy, but there is a lot of headroom.
    - GPS working only by Wifi/Triangulation networking - No satellites.

Fantastic job by coolya who did most of the advancement, for Wifi, baseband and also OneDRAM partitions configuration. Really really awesome work.
    We were so lucky the snow forced him to stay at home instead of going to work :D

This time you can really start to play with the phone, install apps, surf on the Internet all this with Gingerbread! kind of cool :)

V4
    Buttons fixed thanks to the contributions of xcaliburhands, pawitp, fenfir
    No need to create some directories manually anymore.
    Kernel available as ClockWorkMod recovery update.zip - be sure you have access to 3 buttons !

V3
    SDcard now works
    - As internal storage
    - As USB storage

V2
    improved pre-init script and mounts:
    no more insufficient space
    improved dual-boot solution
    faster boot
    faster disk I/O

V1
    initial

Edit: we started working now as a team, joining XDA forces with CyanogenMod.
    Gingerbread CM is AOSP, which means the port will be the real Google experience, using clean source modified just as we need to.
    Here are some Infos and Screens for you!

Code:
    /dev/block/mtdblock2 on /system type yaffs2 (rw,relatime)
    /dev/block/mtdblock3 on /cache type yaffs2 (rw,relatime)
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /data type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc)
    /dev/block/mtdblock6 on /datadata type yaffs2 (rw,relatime)
    /dev/block/mtdblock4 on /efs type yaffs2 (rw,relatime)

Quadrant Advanced:
    CPU: 4725
    Memory: 1855
    I/O: 914
    2D: 309
    3D: quadrant fails

Screenshots:

xda.jpg
    Currently we're using CM7 sources for our work.
    It doesn't matter because CM = AOSP.
    If we get one thing working, the other will work too.

This means we'll release booth.
    A clean AOSP rom and a CM7 rom at the same time.

Current Status:
    - CWM 3.0.0 fully working
    - bootlogo is fine now, no more pixelz!
    - no rfs support anymore, MTD working (yaffs2), data on ext4
    - problems on flash_image function
    - Wifi working (Wifi sleep crashes phone)
    - Phone working (a little polling problem on RIL)
    - Graphics mostly working except overlay cause of framebuffer (youtube playback and camera ****ed up)
    - Sensors dead (write a new driver)
    - only one sdcard supported at the moment
    - a secure method for rolling out must be created

Don't ask any questions. Let us just work on this stuff.