Gestures for multitasking?

Search This thread

irishtexmex

Sep 27, 2010
Austin, TX
I dont know if this is possible within the framework of Honeycomb, but I was wondering if I was possible to add gesture control using a root-access app?

Personally, I'm only looking for one feature: WebOS style task switching. I love the way Honeycomb multitasks, but I wish I could just swipe up from the bottom of the screen (starting on the bezel below the screen) and have it open up Honeycomb's app switcher. For reference, WaveLauncher implements similar WebOS-lite utility with a similarly implemented gesture implementation.

And just for the hell of it, I think it would be great if there could be an option to open the task switcher horizontally across the middle of the screen. I know I know, "Go buy a touchpad!" I'm just saying I think it would be awesome, and I'm certain others would think so too.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

billylim99

Mar 6, 2011
there's this app call dock4droid. you can find it in the market. some member post about this app some time ago here. I am using that app now. it works great.you can choose to put it on left/right top or down, anywhere you like. it will show recent app, and you can customize what app to appear on that dock.

sorry for my poor explanation. download it and have a try, it should fits what you want. I think. There's a free version of it.

p/s : i never touch the multitask button ever since i used this app :p it's kinda lag for me

Sichroteph

Mar 15, 2009
I am I afraid there is no good solution, and each app that overlay your screen like this one will make your tablet lag :-(

Patrul

Oct 15, 2011
Normaly I switch betwen 2 apps, it would be nice being able to one click switch between them

irishtexmex

Sep 27, 2010
Austin, TX
hmm, we already have something like a "2-click-switcher"... :D

but the idea of swithcing tasks like in webos is really charming :))

would love to have this, too.

I was thinking more along the lines of an individual button next to the task switcher. It's surprising how much quicker & intuitive things feel when there is only one action needed to be performed (one swipe, one button press, etc.).

Anyway, I'm just sorta spitballin' in this thread. I've been using an Android phone for over a year now, and my tablet for a few months, and I still haven't been able to get over missing WebOS style multitasking. That's not to say I'm dogging on Android's, it works well, it's just not the absolute best.

apDroid

Mar 7, 2011
Phoenix
Is there any minimize button? It wold be what I need

The home button :p

This is a great idea, but may only be possible on rooted phones with custom ROMs. I am going to look into an implementation that does not toll performance or battery. Perhaps a simple widget at the bottom of the home screen? Then again that would require going home first, making the widget redundant. :confused:

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com
I dont know if this is possible within the framework of Honeycomb, but I was wondering if I was possible to add gesture control using a root-access app?

Personally, I'm only looking for one feature: WebOS style task switching. I love the way Honeycomb multitasks, but I wish I could just swipe up from the bottom of the screen (starting on the bezel below the screen) and have it open up Honeycomb's app switcher. For reference, WaveLauncher implements similar WebOS-lite utility with a similarly implemented gesture implementation.

And just for the hell of it, I think it would be great if there could be an option to open the task switcher horizontally across the middle of the screen. I know I know, "Go buy a touchpad!" I'm just saying I think it would be awesome, and I'm certain others would think so too.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA Premium App

So exactly like the blackberry Playbook... that's exactly what it does ... swipe from bezel to open multitasking

Silenus21

Oct 19, 2008
The only thing I miss from IOS is ACTIVATOR.
So many options.

You could hook any action/gesture to any app.
It was awesome.

Sometimes is cumbersome to hit the home button located at the bottom when I'm holding the tab with both hands on the sides.

Would pay money for an activator equivalent.

irishtexmex

Sep 27, 2010
Austin, TX
So exactly like the blackberry Playbook... that's exactly what it does ... swipe from bezel to open multitasking

Yes, and just like the TouchPad/WebOS.

A swipe gesture from the bezel is inherently easier than almost any other single input option because when holding the tablet there is at least one digit within an extreme proximity to the bezel & screen. I would say over 90% of my usage patterns are with me holding the tablet in at least one hand, and a large majority of me holding it with both hands. In my case, gestures like that are accessible from any direction and any side of the screen, and would be superior than having to click a 20x20 pixel button in a single location that isn't near either of the places where my hand naturally holds the tablet.

Again, for other people their usage patterns may dictate a better option. I just happen to think most people use their tablets in a manner similar to mine, which would make these gestures extremely useful.

Top Liked Posts