Motorola Droid 2 A955 Take Apart Repair Guide

Search This thread

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
Motorola Droid 2 is fairly easy to take apart but most screws are hidden under cleverly designed stickers and hard to find. This take apart repair guide should help you take apart the Motorola Droid 2 safely, in a step by step manner, giving you a chance to replace faulty parts.

This guide should help you replace the following parts:
  • Motorola Droid 2 A955 Glass Touch Screen Digitizer
  • Motorola Droid 2 A955 LCD Screen Replacement Display
  • Motorola Droid 2 Replacement Battery

Tools:
  • T5 Torx Screwdriver
  • T3 Torx Screwdriver
  • Safe Open Pry Tool

Motorola Droid 2 A955 Take Apart Repair Guide:
  • The first step is to power off the phone; remove the back cover, the SIM, micro SD card and then the battery. The micro SD card slides right out with just a slight push of your finger.
  • The Droid 2 is held together by a number of screws. The first screws are revealed when you peel off the sticker located on the bottom of the Droid 2 as shown below. Once these screws are removed the back end of the casing will have to be gently pried off using the safe open pry tool. Just slide the pry tool in between the opening and run it along the edges of the phone.

motorola-droid-2-a955-step-1.jpg
  • Five pressure type contacts hold the headphone jack firmly against the camera's gold pads which allows for easy data exchange.
  • The speaker of the Droid 2 is held in place by the pressure of both halves of the phone's case which is why it can easily be taken off once the back has been removed. However be careful because the gold sticker you see stuck to the speaker's housing is an antenna.
  • Since both the antenna and data ribbon cables are too tiny to disconnect from the motherboard by hand you will need to carefully use the safe open pry tool to pull it out from it's socket.
  • Using the T5 Torx Screwdriver you will have to remove the screws that hold the motherboard in place after which you will need to disconnect the keypad's data cable on the flip side of the board.

motorola-droid-2-a955-step-2.jpg
  • If you need to replace the camera you just need to pull it out as it's a separate circuit.
  • Before you remove the small board located on the bottom of the Droid 2, you will first need to disconnect the antenna's ribbon cable, the vibrator motor and its control buttons. Then using the safe open pry tool the board can be easily lifted off.
  • You should now also be able to lift off the black rim of the phone and remove the screws that hold the sliding display in place, this should give you the first glimpse of the phone's LCD.

motorola-droid-2-a955-step-3.jpg
  • Before you take out the front panel you need to disconnect its cable and lift out the earpiece.
  • The small keyboard assembly will need to be disconnected using the safe open pry tool prior to removing the LCD.

Your Motorola Droid 2 is now completely disassembled. Replace any faulty parts to make your repairs and then follow this guide in reverse to reassemble your phone.

MissionImprobable

Dec 20, 2011
I'm thinking that this will be my best bet. Half the screen is dead and $20 bucks sounds a bit better than $150 for a new D2 or $200+ for another device. There literally isn't a single 4G device out right now on Verizon that I'm interested in. I'm holding out hope that when Sony and a few others release the last of their devices rumored or discussed for this year something worthwhile will drop; otherwise I'm on to T-Mobile I think.

Anyway, has anyone put in the work and done this? I've watched a video and it seems tedious more than difficult, especially some of the final steps. Any input is appreciated.

Looking a little further it seems I should probably replace the LCD while I'm at it. Still that's only about $50 for everything.

Last edited:

circa881

Apr 25, 2011
East Wenatchee
My D2 is updated to the latest firmware and I know somebody that has an older D2 with a broken screen so I'm going to try this and see if I can have a rooted D2 again :p

AECRADIO

Aug 31, 2013
Payson, AZ.
www.facebook.com
Droid 2 RF board and connector locations (pics)

Here's a recent repair I performed to a defective D2, A955.
The main board holds the camera, and is the connection point for the keyboard, LCD and digitizer, as well as the SD card.

You can see how tiny the connectors are, and they ARE easily damaged if you attempt to yank them out, or force the header back into the socket.

Attachments

• DSCF0790.jpg
    DSCF0790.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCF0791.jpg
    DSCF0791.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF0792.jpg
    DSCF0792.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF0793.jpg
    DSCF0793.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 80

AECRADIO

Aug 31, 2013
Payson, AZ.
www.facebook.com
The working result of a main board replacement.

Here's a recent repair I performed to a defective D2, A955.
The main board holds the camera, and is the connection point for the keyboard, LCD and digitizer, as well as the SD card.

You can see how tiny the connectors are, and they ARE easily damaged if you attempt to yank them out, or force the header back into the socket.

Here's the working result of the main board replacement performed on a Droid 2, A955

Attachments

• DSCF0794.jpg
    DSCF0794.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 78

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Motorola Droid 2 is fairly easy to take apart but most screws are hidden under cleverly designed stickers and hard to find. This take apart repair guide should help you take apart the Motorola Droid 2 safely, in a step by step manner, giving you a chance to replace faulty parts.

This guide should help you replace the following parts:
    • Motorola Droid 2 A955 Glass Touch Screen Digitizer
    • Motorola Droid 2 A955 LCD Screen Replacement Display
    • Motorola Droid 2 Replacement Battery

Tools:
    • T5 Torx Screwdriver
    • T3 Torx Screwdriver
    • Safe Open Pry Tool

Motorola Droid 2 A955 Take Apart Repair Guide:
    • The first step is to power off the phone; remove the back cover, the SIM, micro SD card and then the battery. The micro SD card slides right out with just a slight push of your finger.
    • The Droid 2 is held together by a number of screws. The first screws are revealed when you peel off the sticker located on the bottom of the Droid 2 as shown below. Once these screws are removed the back end of the casing will have to be gently pried off using the safe open pry tool. Just slide the pry tool in between the opening and run it along the edges of the phone.

motorola-droid-2-a955-step-1.jpg
    • Five pressure type contacts hold the headphone jack firmly against the camera's gold pads which allows for easy data exchange.
    • The speaker of the Droid 2 is held in place by the pressure of both halves of the phone's case which is why it can easily be taken off once the back has been removed. However be careful because the gold sticker you see stuck to the speaker's housing is an antenna.
    • Since both the antenna and data ribbon cables are too tiny to disconnect from the motherboard by hand you will need to carefully use the safe open pry tool to pull it out from it's socket.
    • Using the T5 Torx Screwdriver you will have to remove the screws that hold the motherboard in place after which you will need to disconnect the keypad's data cable on the flip side of the board.

motorola-droid-2-a955-step-2.jpg
    • If you need to replace the camera you just need to pull it out as it's a separate circuit.
    • Before you remove the small board located on the bottom of the Droid 2, you will first need to disconnect the antenna's ribbon cable, the vibrator motor and its control buttons. Then using the safe open pry tool the board can be easily lifted off.
    • You should now also be able to lift off the black rim of the phone and remove the screws that hold the sliding display in place, this should give you the first glimpse of the phone's LCD.

motorola-droid-2-a955-step-3.jpg
    • Before you take out the front panel you need to disconnect its cable and lift out the earpiece.
    • The small keyboard assembly will need to be disconnected using the safe open pry tool prior to removing the LCD.

Your Motorola Droid 2 is now completely disassembled. Replace any faulty parts to make your repairs and then follow this guide in reverse to reassemble your phone.