Simple guide to [VM firmware recovery thread] v2

Search This thread

jlechner

Jan 23, 2008
Kansas City
I do NOT recommend doing a reset at this time.

More-so if you've done any messing around with RFG_1, you can permanently destroy your device by resetting after a bad RFG_1 is in place. The reason goes back to my more recent discoveries. RFG_1 is the "backup" for when a reset happens. (intentional or otherwise)

If RFG_1 is NOT there, and you reset, you can take your new shiny brick to sprint and ask them to order a new one, because not even they will be able to fix it at that point. It will have to go back to HTC (or whatever third party that handles repairs for them) for full hardware reprogramming, you can easily restore the MEID, and the MSL, but the secret code embedded in the sprint handshake to the towers will have been lost, this is encrypted in a certain part of partition 19.

Most definitely. I will be talking with closeone tomorrow, getting a cd ready for a full scale test. ;)

The full update on what's needed, the exact steps, and everything like that will be via PM's for now. (explanation below, keep reading)

But I've ran through 5 successful tests tonight. And I'm fairly certain this tool is now stable enough for release. I just have to tie up a FEW loose ends with the programming that handles the files needed, but it's just about done!

I will be asking for Testers and be sending out a "template" of instructions to those that are willing to take the plunge. :)

I will warn you now, that my next few days are very very busy, Do not sign up for testing if you do not understand exactly what I mean here... I will likely only be able to talk while at work (8AM-5PM Central) My night times are booked until Thursday at the very least. So with that in mind, understand that you're not only taking the risk of your device, but the risk that I'm not around to answer your questions. Sorry, but there are some unavoidable things in my life I have to attend to. But this is also why I am not simply dumping it on the public at this time.

I'm 99% sure it's working as intended and does exactly what we want. But if I'm not around to answer questions and offer support, I don't want to drop it on the public and let everyone fend for themselves, plus if there's a few more "experienced" people that have gone through the process once (or twice) they can help offer support as I'm only one person, so I can only do so much. ;)

Things I recommend downloading in preparation:

1.13 Stock RUU exe/zip (The VALID HTC SIGNED one, 2.08 will work as well, but 1.13 is what I did all my testing on, 2.17 will not work at this time)
2.17 firmware all-in-one
VM firmware all-in-one (you should already have this lol)

Yes, you can send me a PM if you're interesting in being in this test wave, I will say now that I cannot promise everyone that signs up will be in on this test. So don't expect a response. Just a fair warning.

Also, I know some of you have signed up for testing before and didn't get the response you wanted (or possibly got no response at all, for that matter) I apologize for this, but as I posted after each test, I ran into more and more issues (both RL and with the fix) But I also had a lot of eye opening insight into the real underlying problem we face, so trust me, this time is different. That's all I'll say.

Keep strong my Virgin infected friends. The light at the end of the tunnel is near. :)

More updates tomorrow, for now, sleep. Zzz

My 3D is no longer my active device, so let me know what I can do.

edit: just had to be the 1000 post huh....lol.

spirithandler

Feb 5, 2012

closeone

Jan 11, 2012
Most definitely. I will be talking with closeone tomorrow, getting a cd ready for a full scale test. ;)

Oh gosh. Let's see how this goes! (Unknownforce, forgive me if you don't get a response back before noon-1 (or ???) EST)

This is going to be a very busy next three-weeks (in RL). :eek:

I felt that I should disclose that myself.

This doesn't mean that anything has changed in terms to helping get this out to Unknownforce and in-turn everyone here. ;) But forgive me for taking a bit longer.

Thank you everyone!
~co~

spirithandler

Feb 5, 2012
Oh gosh. Let's see how this goes! (Unknownforce, forgive me if you don't get a response back before noon-1 (or ???) EST)

This doesn't mean that anything has changed in terms to helping get this out to Unknownforce and in-turn everyone here. ;) But forgive me for taking a bit longer.

Thank you everyone!
~co~

Maybe we can get a manual method for those of us that are not afraid of doing it old school!

Unknownforce

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2008
My 3D is no longer my active device, so let me know what I can do.

edit: just had to be the 1000 post huh....lol.

Haha, I didn't plan that at all, promise. :eek:

just to help people out here on the files unknowforce has listed that we need.

RUU​_Shooter​_S_Sprint​_WWE​_1.13​.651​.7 http://www.filefactory.com/file/c0bf83d
Credit for this is unknownforce's thread on H-boot downgrade

2.17 firmware all-in-one http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21374142&postcount=131

VM firmware all-in-one http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26563118&postcount=1
In this thread there are three version's but I am not sure what one we need.

Thanks, those are exactly it. EDIT, well actually the VM one isn't, but I have exactly what's needed and will host them all, just to keep them centralized. (Big thanks to XDA providing us RD's with excellent hosting services!)

Thank you everyone!
~co~

Take your time, You have a PM with the files you need. :)

Maybe we can get a manual method for those of us that are not afraid of doing it old school!

No problem. If you're interested, PM me The instructions are basically the same. (the cd just makes it easier for people to boot to a "fresh" linux, and also helps those that don't have or are not used to linux)

Last edited:
Reactions: Punk9

rtbluver

Mar 14, 2011
Hillsdale Michigan
If you have some manual instructions I can test:) the 3d isny my main device and I'm pretty good with Linux an windows commands. Or even if you need a CD tester

Sent from my PG86100 using xda app-developers app

Unknownforce

Nov 18, 2008
Test is currently out to those that messaged me. I have another 2.75 hours at work... after which, I'm tied up all night (not literally lol)

Depending on results... It could be ready for release as early as tomorrow. Let's cross our fingers!

EDIT: By the way, thanks closeone for getting the cd together on such a short notice. :)

The menu'd layout is awesome, love it.

Unknownforce

Nov 18, 2008
Well, no questions thus far... But actually no feedback at all, surprisingly... and it's 10 minutes till 5... so Looks like they will have to wait till tomorrow if they run into issues!

It's a fairly foolproof process so it shouldn't warrant many questions... basically it will either work, or it won't, lol... Kinda nervous with no feedback here, but everyone knows the risks of messing with your devices...

Hoping to see success stories tomorrow. I'm off for today!

tatnai

Jul 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, USA
Well, no questions thus far... But actually no feedback at all, surprisingly... and it's 10 minutes till 5... so Looks like they will have to wait till tomorrow if they run into issues!

It's a fairly foolproof process so it shouldn't warrant many questions... basically it will either work, or it won't, lol... Kinda nervous with no feedback here, but everyone knows the risks of messing with your devices...

in the middle of flashing right now, i'll PM you later tonight.

JoshuaAlba

Mar 29, 2011
Brooklyn
I'm actually having a confusing time trying to boot up the CD (Like a moron).

Got the next hour and 40 minutes to work on this until I head off to host a comedy open mic. Then coming back to work on this some more!

Edit: Nvm. Getting it started now!

Last edited:

The Fer-Shiz-Nizzle

Jun 17, 2010
Plano, TX
Google Pixel 6 Pro

Just got off work, bout to get started on it now. Thanks again. Feedback will follow

Sent from my EVO 3D using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, who's ready for good news? :)

One phone that was getting no signal... has been brought back to life and re-activated... All sprint banners, and I just spoke to him on that phone ;)

So, we have a fix, but I'm going to spend some time getting this down to a little less complicated of a process hopefully.

I've got a few more testers making sure that certain things go according to plan. Once I get a few successful tests in a row, I'll consider it stable and release to public.
    Close guys. I'm lucky to have two phones right now to try different things on and have been pretty much out of service for the past two days trying to get this sorted out. Unknownforce has been putting in overtime trying to fix this and i've been trying out his creations :D
    The thread is created, but just not ready yet. I have just sent out another wave of "test" PM's to have a few more people test this... Hoping for positive results here. Fingers are crossed.

Not trying to keep everyone waiting, but I don't want to be the cause of Sprint getting an influx of "dead" devices.

I'm trying to get this done as quickly as possible, I need a break from this :eek:
    As a mini update, I'm taking a few steps back and starting over a little bit here. The patch still isn't producing the results I'm looking for. As such, I have a new phone coming shortly, and someone else has a new phone that they are willing to test with me as well, so we're both going to pull complete emmc partition dumps and I'm going to study them to the T and find all the changed parts...

This will take some time, but it will be the correct way to do it. with the mixed results I've gotten so far, I'm thinking that it's possible that something other than the radio_config has changed here... and if that's the case, I need to find where that is, so that we can make sure we're not missing anything.

So, while this will set us back a little bit, it will also help find anything that I could be missing, and ultimately get a proper patch and also open up the door to some interesting abilities for the new tool. (refurb status reset, RELOCKED -> LOCKED, lifetime stats reset, and possibly more)

Basically the more I study it the better it's going to be.
    Ran into a few issues when freeza tried it, delayed a little bit... will update tomorrow. Be patient guys.