Nabi 2 Root and Gapps Install

Search This thread

ALD3

Aug 31, 2011
OC, Florida
No quotes, and LN but lower case.

Sent from my NuSense Infected ThunderBolt.

Ok I used ln -s /sdcard2/sdcard and ln -s /sdcard2 /sdcard
I was not sure of if there was a space between sdcard and /sdcard so tried both ways and this is what I got. Also Nabi2 calls sdcard-INTERNAL STORAGE and micro sdcard is SD CARD
if that might make a difference.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-05-18-26-22-1.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-05-18-26-22-1.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

ALD3

Aug 31, 2011
OC, Florida
Also after I get the right response, I should reboot......correct?

Here is the vold.fstab file, it uses sdcard and sdcard2 in it, the other internal storage and sd card is what is used in settings/storage.

## Vold 2.0 fstab for kai

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...>
## label - Label for the volume
## mount_point - Where the volume will be mounted
## part - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
######################

# Mounts the first usable partition of the specified device
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/sdhci-tegra.0/mmc_host/mmc2
dev_mount usbdrive /mnt/usbdrive auto /devices/platform/tegra-ehci.0/usb2

Last edited:

Dropline

Nov 25, 2011
Try this maybe...
From terminal emulator, enter for each line...
su
cd /
ln -s /mnt/sdcard2 sdcard
exit
exit

To be honest, if the files are copied over already you may not need to reboot at all.

Those files, I kinda see how it works, but still nothing I have used.

Last edited:

ALD3

Aug 31, 2011
OC, Florida
Try this maybe...
From terminal emulator, enter for each line...
su
cd /
ln -s /mnt/sdcard2 sdcard
exit
exit

To be honest, if the files are copied over already you may not need to reboot at all.

Those files, I kinda see how it works, but still nothing I have used.

Kind of like when I was trying the vold file but here is the results.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-05-19-09-48-1.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-05-19-09-48-1.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 119

ALD3

Aug 31, 2011
OC, Florida
Ok her you go. I know this is draging out so Thank you. You are really the only one to help with this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-05-19-46-12-1.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-05-19-46-12-1.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 136

Dropline

Nov 25, 2011
Ok her you go. I know this is draging out so Thank you. You are really the only one to help with this.

Really close, I know I did this before, but on Gentoo Linux. Where is that void file on the os you talked about? I looked and could not find one on mine. maybe remove the line for the /sdcard/ mount point there, then try this a again. Beyond that it may not work on how the current folder is mounted.

Sent from ROOTed NEXUS7 running ParanoidAndroid.

ALD3

Aug 31, 2011
OC, Florida
Really close, I know I did this before, but on Gentoo Linux. Where is that void file on the os you talked about? I looked and could not find one on mine. maybe remove the line for the /sdcard/ mount point there, then try this a again. Beyond that it may not work on how the current folder is mounted.

Vold.fstab is in system/etc. Also on other devices, you would have to set permissions to read write and excute. All 3 to rwx.

Attachments

• vold.txt
    609 bytes · Views: 13
Last edited:

Dropline

Nov 25, 2011
Vold.fstab is in system/etc. Also on other devices, you would have to set permissions to read write and excute. All 3 to rwx.

Did you try changing the first line in the file to this and reboot?

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/sdhci-tegra.0/mmc_host/mmc2

ALD3

Aug 31, 2011
OC, Florida
Did you try changing the first line in the file to this and reboot?

I changed it to
dev_mount sdcard2 /mnt /sdcard auto /devices/platform/sdhci-tegra.0/ mmc_host/mmc2
Also
sdcard2 auto /mnt/sdcard and a few other various changes but not yours, will try it. By the way, every change that I have tried has caused es file explorer to not recognise my micro sdcard/sdcard2 and when opening settings/storage, I get storage has stopped. So storage will not open.

Dropline

Nov 25, 2011
I changed it to
dev_mount sdcard2 /mnt /sdcard auto /devices/platform/sdhci-tegra.0/ mmc_host/mmc2
Also
sdcard2 auto /mnt/sdcard and a few other various changes but not yours, will try it. By the way, every change that I have tried has caused es file explorer to not recognise my micro sdcard/sdcard2 and when opening settings/storage, I get storage has stopped. So storage will not open.

Between voting and my birthday today, I am not going to be doing many forum things today.

But the reason I said to change that way is sdcard2 really is /mnt/sdcard they rename it sdcard2 being they use internal memory as the virtual /sdcard/ folder.

That's why I said to change that one line to /sdcard/ in hopes it is done after and remounts the /mnt/sdcard as /sdcard/ instead of /sdcard2/.

Hope that makes sense.

ALD3

Aug 31, 2011
OC, Florida
Between voting and my birthday today, I am not going to be doing many forum things today.

But the reason I said to change that way is sdcard2 really is /mnt/sdcard they rename it sdcard2 being they use internal memory as the virtual /sdcard/ folder.

That's why I said to change that one line to /sdcard/ in hopes it is done after and remounts the /mnt/sdcard as /sdcard/ instead of /sdcard2/.

Hope that makes sense.

Just tried your suggestion and the same thing as with mine. Setting/storage won't open and es file explorer doesn't recognise the microsd /sdcard2. Crazy is that I changed both to sdcard2 and after reboot....No Change setting/storage opens and both are the same place and es file explorer sees both as always. Oh Yes Happy Birthday too.

Last edited:

RageAgain

Apr 16, 2011
Union City, GA
Just tried your suggestion and the same thing as with mine. Setting/storage won't open and es file explorer doesn't recognise the microsd /sdcard2. Crazy is that I changed both to sdcard2 and after reboot....No Change setting/storage opens and both are the same place and es file explorer sees both as always. Oh Yes Happy Birthday too.

Sorry I haven't waded in on this again, interested but busy. I have been using GL to SD with some success, but the current version is buggy and it is sometimes necessary to reboot to correct the errors it is causing.

Anyway, I reread this discussion but may have missed some things, so please forgive if I broken record.

That being said I had two questions that rereading may have missed.

1) after incorrect vold mod how do you return to normal?

2) have you tried this iteration?

dev_mount /mnt/sdcard2 sdcard auto /devices/platform/sdhci-tegra.0/mmc_host/mmc2

ALD3

Aug 31, 2011
OC, Florida
Sorry I haven't waded in on this again, interested but busy. I have been using GL to SD with some success, but the current version is buggy and it is sometimes necessary to reboot to correct the errors it is causing.

Anyway, I reread this discussion but may have missed some things, so please forgive if I broken record.

dev_mount /mnt/sdcard2 sdcard auto /devices/platform/sdhci-tegra.0/mmc_host/mmc2

1. I have a saved original vold and copy/replace then reboot.
2. Ha......not sure what. Lol but I will certainly give it a try to make sure. :)
Thanks
I haven't mentioned it but I did copy all folders from internal storage to micro sdcard.

EDITED UPDATE. tried your suggestion and same thing as before, settings/storage force close and es File explorer can't recognize sdcard2.

Last edited:

Clarkiss

Jun 3, 2012
Philadelphia

I have not tried the Vold iteration you posted or any of the Vold mods anyone has posted yet...The main reason I have not is because ALD3 has been testing every suggestion anyone has posted with no success so obviously I been waiting for him to say THANK YOU THANK YOU lol or something along those lines and I thank you Mr. ALD3 for all of ur tireless experimenting on the Vold.fstab file! He has been one of the many searching with me from the first post on this subject and I don't plan on giving up anytime soon ha gota get this Nabi 2 ready and have all the games my son wants installed before I rebox it and wrap it up for xmas;) Anyway RageAgain, I have tried GL to SD with NO success :rolleyes: The first game I tried GL to SD on was of course Asphalt 7 being 1.4GB's in size and it moved it to sdcard2 with no problem and I was immediately excited :highfive::victory::D But to my demise when I started the Asphalt 7 App it started like normal but wanted to download the additional 1.4GBs of game files :crying::mad: So I guess the game does not realize the files moved to sdcard2... Which really sucks because that would have been perfect if it worked cause of course we could just use GL to SD for all the HUGE apps when ever we wanted :(

Last edited:

RageAgain

Apr 16, 2011
Union City, GA
I have not tried the Vold iteration you posted or any of the Vold mods anyone has posted yet...The main reason I have not is because ALD3 has been testing every suggestion anyone has posted with no success so obviously I been waiting for him to say THANK YOU THANK YOU lol or something along those lines and I thank you Mr. ALD3 for all of ur tireless experimenting on the Vold.fstab file! He has been one of the many searching with me from the first post on this subject and I don't plan on giving up anytime soon ha gota get this Nabi 2 ready and have all the games my son wants installed before I rebox it and wrap it up for xmas;) Anyway RageAgain, I have tried GL to SD with NO success :rolleyes: The first game I tried GL to SD on was of course Asphalt 7 being 1.4GB's in size and it moved it to sdcard2 with no problem and I was immediately excited :highfive::victory::D But to my demise when I started the Asphalt 7 App it started like normal but wanted to download the additional 1.4GBs of game files :crying::mad: So I guess the game does not realize the files moved to sdcard2... Which really sucks because that would have been perfect if it worked cause of course we could just use GL to SD for all the HUGE apps when ever we wanted :(

When I use GL to SD after moving data, I have found you need to 'open' the app from within the GL to SD main page - but not use the 'mount' command first - and use unmount & exit from the menu after quiting the game. You also need to make sure that 'Add mounted Folders' /sdcard/Android is checked in the Setting menu for non-Gameloft games...

But...

It seems to have a bug in dismounting the /sdcard/Android/data folder...

Also, the Nabi 2 seems to mount the emmc in another location, so the code needed to switch the two is probably incomplete. Fuhu seems to have hardly used any normal conventions in making the Nabi 2.

Last edited:

ALD3

Aug 31, 2011
OC, Florida

Hey jump in anytime. I can use all the help I can get. A lot of us trying got a dump of the Arnova AN7G3. We all had limited experience but together we made it work. I'm barely any good at adb but can follow directions and commands. This vold file has been a Giant pain and I know it will be something simple when we get it.

Dropline

Nov 25, 2011
Hey jump in anytime. I can use all the help I can get. A lot of us trying got a dump of the Arnova AN7G3. We all had limited experience but together we made it work. I'm barely any good at adb but can follow directions and commands. This vold file has been a Giant pain and I know it will be something simple when we get it.

I would try it on the one here, but the sdcard is completely full.. ripped all her Disney movies and a bunch of other kids stuff. For my setup internal still has lots of space,not as many games as movies and shows.

May try tomorrow on wifes thrive, she is low on internal space and has pretty much all of her sdcard free. May help me understand what is wrong.

RageAgain

Apr 16, 2011
Union City, GA
[Help] Changing Around Mountpoints for sdcard and extSdCard?

A modification on this method will probably work since the device in question ( Galaxy Tab 2 7" ) seems to be set up basically the same, and only the names are changed...

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29413682&postcount=53

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

A modification on this method will probably work since the device in question ( Galaxy Tab 2 7" ) seems to be set up basically the same, and only the names are changed...

WARNING!! Although I have every expectation that this should work, I cannot guarantee anything of the sort, so use this at your own risk!!

This is the modified work of the excellent contributing member "DivinityCycle" and any credit belongs to him. The

changes to it are the modifications I believe are necessary to make it function with the Fuhu Nabi 2.

The script was designed to "live" in /data/local/

Code:

======cut here======
#!/system/bin/sh
mount -o remount,rw /
mount -o remount,rw /system
umount /mnt/sdcard
mount -t vfat -o rw,umask=0000 /dev/block/vold/179:49 /mnt/sdcard
rm -r /mnt/sdcard2
ln -s /data/media /mnt/sdcard2
mount -o remount,ro /system
mount -o remount,ro /
======and here======

save as 'sdcard_switch.sh' <-- with no quotes of course, put that file in /data/local/ and use script manager to

run at boot. ( Note: if you read his original posts, which I advise, you will see that I added the last two

mount/remount commands to return the file system to read-only state. )

The edit I made to vold.fstab is VERY minor.

original text:
Code:

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/sdhci-tegra.0/mmc_host/mmc2

modified text:
Code:

ALD3

Aug 31, 2011
OC, Florida

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

WARNING!! Although I have every expectation that this should work, I cannot guarantee anything of the sort, so use this at your own risk!!e

This is the modified work of the excellent contributing member "DivinityCycle" and any credit belongs to him. The

changes to it are the modifications I believe are necessary to make it function with the Fuhu Nabi 2.

The script was designed to "live" in /data/local/

Code:

======cut here======
#!/system/bin/sh
mount -o remount,rw /
mount -o remount,rw /system
umount /mnt/sdcard
mount -t vfat -o rw,umask=0000 /dev/block/vold/179:49 /mnt/sdcard
rm -r /mnt/sdcard2
ln -s /data/media /mnt/sdcard2
mount -o remount,ro /system
mount -o remount,ro /
======and here======

save as 'sdcard_switch.sh' <-- with no quotes of course, put that file in /data/local/ and use script manager to

run at boot. ( Note: if you read his original posts, which I advise, you will see that I added the last two

mount/remount commands to return the file system to read-only state. )

The edit I made to vold.fstab is VERY minor.

original text:
Code:

modified text:
Code:

I had read this just this morning and was wondering if it could be adapted for the Nabi. Now I have reread it, made and placed the sdcard_switch.sh and placed it in /data/local, made changes to vold file per your instructions. Changed permissions on vold and sh to rwx rwx rwx, both. I'm not sure what I need to do to have script manager run at boot, could you help me there. Or do I just reboot now.i

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    #include /* * Your warranty is now void. * * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. */

Here comes the root for the Nabi 2 and how to install fully work GApps.

You must have a basic working knowledge of adb and have it installed. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1590800
    Also ensure you have fastboot installed and working

attachment.php

1. Ensure you have latest updates
    2. Download jmzrootpackage.zip from here
    3. Extract files to desktop
    4. Plug in phone
    5. Choose from which option you want

Recovery was built by me but Dees_Troy pointed me in the right direction a couple times
    This thread has slowed down...

Got a new tool for you guys to play with.

Nabi Lab!

EDIT: I found a bug today. During lock screen modding the 1st prompt tells you image must be 1440x903, and the second 1400x903. The proper size is 1440 x 903

haha

Drivers.
    Root, backup, gapps,
    Return to stock condition.
    TWRP recoveries.(new symlinked partitions) see if this fixes some of the last of the TWRP errors for different Nabi's
    General Information display
    Lockscreen modding(Saves the zip to folder besides installing, hopefully makes it easier for people to do it, and we can get some sharing of lockscreens)

This is very much alpha. If you play with it you have to have a backup, until bugs are worked out.

There is a lite version and a full version. Only difference is lite doesn't have a full 1.9.37 stock backup, so it's 100MB, versus 1.2GB. Any fixes will be small patches 1MB at the most. Full version is really only for those needing to go back to stock and don't have a backup.

Lite: https://www.box.com/s/z8f6ibz05h22jzm4uxx4 93MB
    Lite: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B024tOntNFbbMU95N1g3c2tXSHc 93MB
    Full: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B024tOntNFbbU0E5cm1GdFUxRFE 1.2GB

I have worked through a restore to stock, flash Gapps, Root, and make backup. Installed TWRP. Changed lockscreen. Installed drivers. So I believe it's safe at this point to have a few people test. Read the directions. I'll upload a video showing it in action if you're hesitant. I'd like a few testers to work through the screens. Plug in multiple Android devices and see if it detects the conflict. It doesn't always stop you if you have 2 devices plugged in, just see if it's warning you. Try a few things out and see what bugs there are.

You Tube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvrooV9aPyI

nabilab.png

nabilab1.png

nabilab2.png

nabilab3.png

nabilab4.png
    Well this is a HUGE mess now is it! Are we all bathing in children's tears... :p

I think most of the 2nd OTA issues stem from either TWRP deleting some files to protect it's self, or the fact people have taken ROM restores, which unlike going the OTA route don't deal with any changes to the addon partition, and the 2nd OTA is not seeing the files on that partition it expects.

For those that completed the first OTA but not the second this might get around the issues, by deleting recovery checks, and copying the full apks to addon. Use TWRP to "install it"

OTA2mod

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second method might help people that have a complete disaster going on.

Download the first file. It is the stock rom for 2.3.11. You need to put it in TWRP/BACKUPS/XXX/folder where "XXX "is your serial and "folder" is a name of your choice. "Restore" from this folder boot and system

This will give you the stock ROM but it will not be bootable because you are still on ICS bootloader, and you have made no proper changes to addon. So BEFORE reboot take the second file addonfix and "install" it. It should install stock 2.3.11 addons, update the bootloader and perform some Nabi setup magic. Now reboot.

2311stockROM

addonfix.zip

Keep in mind the need to switch TWRP version afterward. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47306565&postcount=67

Hopefully this helps the normal US users straight. Still have a couple people with partition mods that need to be undone, and I'm not sure what to do about the UK users. I have someone who said they would give me a stock UK image, but I haven't got it yet, and I'm not sure how that is going to help with those that want this update on a UK version, but it could at least get them back to where they started if this isnt working for them.
    You all get the new update v2.4.6?

States as Google Security Fixes. I uploaded it for you all if you need or want it. Pulled it from my Nabi2. Have not installed it yet. Want to check it out first.

Download : v2.4.6 OTA ( 165 MB )

Yep. Seems a rather simple update when peeking inside. Does another bootloader update though. TWRP still works fine.

Here is the full stock Nabi 2.4.6 image. system, boot, addon, recovery

246stock.zip

Here is a flashable bootloader update

JB246bootloader

With those 2 files it should allow any Nabi in any condition to return to stock 2.4.6. Like the previous procedure extract the images to your TWRP backup folder and restore all, then before reboot "install" the JB246bootloader.zip. Basically this http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51037177&postcount=21 but with 246stock.zip in place of 2311stock and 2311addon zips, and the 246 bootloader zip instead of the old JBbootloader zip

Then here are some TWRP flashable OTA's, we are all kind of all over the map so making an update for everyone isn't so easy.

First TWRP flashable zip is for anyone that has rooted, has done a lock screen mod, used the 4 way reboot menu, or edited the build.prop. It will undo those changes and then do OTA

2311to246.zip

The second I have no idea if will even work. It's for anyone that applied the minimal Nabi zip awhile back. I can't test it but it ignores all those files. DONT use this one unless you know you flashed the minimal Nabi and even then it may not work.

2311to246minimal.zip

Finally I new TWRP

Nabi Specific: Add 2.4.6 kernel

TWRP Changes

Add GUI option to change or repair file systems on individual partitions. The change is destructive so backup your data including internal sdcard first. This option should make it a little easier to migrate a device from ext4 -> f2fs, for instance. You will find this option under Wipe -> Advanced Wipe, then select only one partition and then press the Repair or Change File System button. If a developer has added f2fs support for your device and we don't have it in TWRP, please contact me via PM to arrange for it to be added.
    Various bugfixes to backup and restore
    Improvements to USB storage handling
    Added a class to search for files to make finding the correct brightness file automatic in most cases
    Various other bugfixes and tweaks

NABI2JBTWRP271.zip (fastboot)

twrp-recovery-JBNV7AUS-271.zip (flashable)

Latest device tree for building recovery with Omni 4.4.4 as base with 2.4.6 kernel

https://github.com/aicjofs/android_device_fuhu_mt799_omni

There ya go just enough to cause a lot of chaos. It's been too quite around here anyway... :p
    Ok I managed to fit everything in the recovery(exfat/super user) at 8MB and changed the color space so that Aroma works but the colors aren't all crazy. Added the Nabi theme back in.

3.0.13 users can flash 285 for KK

Everyone else(Disney, Nick, UK, original 2.4.6 and below) should use 285 for JB
    EDIT: Note Disney and Nick have received KK update since this post was made.