Post Reply Email Thread
16th January 2012, 01:42 AM |#111  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag South of Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 4,683

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobee88

How much does one have to read? It seems endless. Seriously. If only someone, even Google would charge a small fee for a one or two click update to CM7 and the GUI program does everything for you, everyone would be happy. Jailbreaking an iPhone is so simple. Tinkering with an Android is not only intimidating, but the support seems less than "kind" unless one passes the initiation into the forum

Read the stickies. Those contain the most important information and links. As far as longing for the Apple model, you're definitely in the wrong place if that's how you like your phone to operate. I agree the 'help' here can be rather harsh, sometimes too much so, but for the most part, if you show a willingness to learn and to try to figure things out for yourself you'll get the help you need. From what I've heard, jailbreaking isn't near as useful as what can be done to Android - I have no experience with iPhones, I eat apples, not use them
The Following User Says Thank You to reinbeau For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift reinbeau Ad-Free

21st January 2012, 04:16 PM |#112  
OP Senior Member
Flag Junction City
Thanks Meter: 102

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobee88

How much does one have to read? It seems endless. Seriously. If only someone, even Google would charge a small fee for a one or two click update to CM7 and the GUI program does everything for you, everyone would be happy. Jailbreaking an iPhone is so simple. Tinkering with an Android is not only intimidating, but the support seems less than "kind" unless one passes the initiation into the forum

From what I remember about jailbreaking - it was pretty scary. At least with this I know I have full control over what I'm doing.

And updating to CM7 from stock isn't that difficult.
Get the AIO Toolbox - go through the options to install drivers and root your phone, get rom manager etc...
Put in the ROM you want.
Flash per instructions.
Done.

Sure with jailbreaking it is a 'one-click' process but with Android its what 3-4 clicks? And you'll have to go through the menus yourself?

Sheesh today's youth - next thing they will want is mind control to be able to change the TV channel instead of using the remote control
25th January 2012, 08:54 PM |#113  
Flag Chula Vista
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by avgjoegeek

Sheesh today's youth - next thing they will want is mind control to be able to change the TV channel instead of using the remote control

They have those?

And to share my 2 cents (not that anybody want's em), perhaps it could be made more clear as to what is going on when someone flashes to a different ROM e.g the internal, static "SD card" will be wiped clean; this is what a bootloader is, and what it does; and this is how to avoid bricking your phone, as god knows, money aint exactly growing on trees these days
5th February 2012, 02:22 AM |#114  

More
thank alot
5th February 2012, 10:37 PM |#115  

More
Thanks a lot, good information together.
6th February 2012, 06:47 PM |#116  

More
In case someone else is wading through these threads like I've been...

"CLShortFuse's One-Click Root" (SuperOneClick 2.3.3) doesn't seem to work with stock Gingerbread as of yet. This thread at androidforums has a "for dummies" guide to using Odin and a DesignGears AutoRoot thing, and worked well for me.

Also, if you start getting "TetheringManager" force closes after you're done, turn off USB Debugging.

(To give credit, the guide appears to be derived from these two threads: from xda-developers and attdroids.)
17th February 2012, 11:27 PM |#117  

More
Question Very confused trying to upgrade to Gingerbread with IMEI mismatch
At this point, the directions in this thread are too telegraphic for this poor technology-challenged but willing learner...
I managed to root and unlock my Captivate and upgrade from Eclair to Froyo long enough ago that I don't remember how I did it all (Odin one-click figured in, I think), but I now have an IMEI discrepancy, so when I tried to use Kies Mini to upgrade to Gingerbread, no joy, and of course OTA is impossible.

I don't know where to start. I have TiBU, busybox, various SGS tools, and astro file manager among other things. I THINK the firmware's just stock 2.2 (baseband I897UCKB1, Kernel version 2.6.32.9, build FROYO.UCKB1) now, but when I put in the "secret code" for IMEI, it doesn't match what's under the battery, and the product code is also hash now.

So...which of the many threads and alternatives applies to my situation? Do I need to clean up the nv_data file (it looks like there is a backup /mnt/sdcard/nv_data.bak, and if that's NOT a backup, what do I do? there's also a folder /mnt/sdcard/Galaxy_S_Unlock with nv_data.bin and nv_data.bin.unlocked and subfolder /efs that also has an nv_data.bin, among other things.

I'm not trying to flash super-duper ROMs, just get to stock Gingerbread. No need to reinvent the wheel for me - just point in the right direction because the terminology's getting beyond me!
20th February 2012, 04:42 AM |#118  
OP Senior Member
Flag Junction City

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lskohn

At this point, the directions in this thread are too telegraphic for this poor technology-challenged but willing learner...
I managed to root and unlock my Captivate and upgrade from Eclair to Froyo long enough ago that I don't remember how I did it all (Odin one-click figured in, I think), but I now have an IMEI discrepancy, so when I tried to use Kies Mini to upgrade to Gingerbread, no joy, and of course OTA is impossible.

I don't know where to start. I have TiBU, busybox, various SGS tools, and astro file manager among other things. I THINK the firmware's just stock 2.2 (baseband I897UCKB1, Kernel version 2.6.32.9, build FROYO.UCKB1) now, but when I put in the "secret code" for IMEI, it doesn't match what's under the battery, and the product code is also hash now.

So...which of the many threads and alternatives applies to my situation? Do I need to clean up the nv_data file (it looks like there is a backup /mnt/sdcard/nv_data.bak, and if that's NOT a backup, what do I do? there's also a folder /mnt/sdcard/Galaxy_S_Unlock with nv_data.bin and nv_data.bin.unlocked and subfolder /efs that also has an nv_data.bin, among other things.

I'm not trying to flash super-duper ROMs, just get to stock Gingerbread. No need to reinvent the wheel for me - just point in the right direction because the terminology's getting beyond me!

Hmm... I'm so deep down the rabbit hole now (I run ICS) at this point with my phone I haven't used Khies or OTA in over a year.

I would suspect going back to Stock Eclair then try to use Khies afterwards to try and update back to Gingerbread. - Of course you will need to re-root, backup your apps etc first.
24th March 2012, 08:20 AM |#119  

More
Rooting help?
Well i'm obviously new to new to rooting and android in general really. But I've been reading around about rooting and have been trying for awile now to root my captive with odin3 and it only detects my phone when its booted up with Debugging on. Not in download mode or anything else. I'm running gingerbread 2.3.5
Sorry if this isn't in the correct place.
20th April 2012, 11:49 PM |#120  
Flag San Antonio, Texas
Thanks Meter: 4

More
If my drivers aren't working, and I've tried using the one's supplied, what would be my next course of action?
9th May 2012, 09:45 PM |#121  
OP Senior Member
Flag Junction City

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verfassergeist

If my drivers aren't working, and I've tried using the one's supplied, what would be my next course of action?

What isn't working? Need to provide additional information on what is going on.

Computers OS
What you are trying to do?
Where did you get the drivers from?
Etc...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)