592 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,608

Post Reply Email Thread
12th September 2019, 11:44 AM |#13761  
Wrocław
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi.
I can't find those settings for disable ads when mobile internet is on . Help ? I use OnePlus 6 no limitsrom on oxygen 9.0.8 os.
Any tips?

12th September 2019, 11:49 AM |#13762  
Thanks Meter: 79

More
Hi,

my new Xiaomi device is a system-as-root A-only device, meaning that the system partition is part of the rootfs, there's no /system mounted anymore.

I have LOS 16.0 with the su addon running on my device. It seems that AdAway doesn't handle this scenario.

I'd be very grateful if this scenario was handled. Many thanks in advance!

Regards,
meiser
12th September 2019, 12:03 PM |#13763  
Flag galati
Thanks Meter: 14

More
PerfectSlayer thank you for all your work !!!
"your" application is the first application I always install on a new phone (of course after root)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apaxtc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift apaxtc Ad-Free
12th September 2019, 12:13 PM |#13764  
Thanks Meter: 81

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by meiser

Hi,

my new Xiaomi device is a system-as-root A-only device, meaning that the system partition is part of the rootfs, there's no /system mounted anymore.

I have LOS 16.0 with the su addon running on my device. It seems that AdAway doesn't handle this scenario.

Regards,
meiser

Maybe the solution for this is to change the target hosts file in adaway, but idk which one would be best ^^ Maybe someone here has experience with that, or you could just trial and error until you find one that works for you, don't forget to reboot after every applying tho
12th September 2019, 12:25 PM |#13765  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,148

More
Quote:

Hi,

Regards,
meiser

What's the output of "su --help"? I may have a solution, but it depends on what su supports. Also do you have a way to run boot scripts?

(Or you could just install Magisk instead)
The Following User Says Thank You to jcmm11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jcmm11 Ad-Free
12th September 2019, 01:17 PM |#13766  
Thanks Meter: 2,050

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasiorr

Hi.
I can't find those settings for disable ads when mobile internet is on . Help ? I use OnePlus 6 no limitsrom on oxygen 9.0.8 os.
Any tips?

Adaway doesn't - can't - discriminate how you're connected to the internet. It's a domain name server (DNS) redirect. It's job is simply to facilitate the process of adding redirects to the hosts file.
12th September 2019, 04:20 PM |#13767  
Thanks Meter: 79

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmm11

What's the output of "su --help"? I may have a solution, but it depends on what su supports. Also do you have a way to run boot scripts?

(Or you could just install Magisk instead)

The output is:
Code:
Usage: su [options] [--] [-] [LOGIN] [--] [args...]

Options:
  --daemon                      start the su daemon agent
  -c, --command COMMAND         pass COMMAND to the invoked shell
  -h, --help                    display this help message and exit
  -, -l, --login                pretend the shell to be a login shell
  -m, -p,
  --preserve-environment        do not change environment variables
  -s, --shell SHELL             use SHELL instead of the default /system/bin/sh
  -v, --version                 display version number and exit
  -V                            display version code and exit,
                                this is used almost exclusively by Superuser.apk
The workaround could be to use /data/data/hosts and symlink /system/etc/hosts, but I'd prefer native system-as-root support. And I prefer to use the LOS su addon instead of Magisk as it's well integrated.

BTW, I just found upstream bug report: https://github.com/AdAway/AdAway/issues/1245

Regards,
meiser
12th September 2019, 07:23 PM |#13768  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,148

More
Quote:

The output is:

The workaround could be to use /data/data/hosts and symlink /system/etc/hosts, but I'd prefer native system-as-root support. And I prefer to use the LOS su addon instead of Magisk as it's well integrated.

BTW, I just found upstream bug report: https://github.com/AdAway/AdAway/issues/1245

Regards,
meiser

Workaround I was going to propose is close to what you stated, but not quite.
It's actually based on what we used to use for SuperSU and also on the way Magisk does it.

Instead of a symlink run a boot script that issues a bind mount. With SuperSU (and Magisk) the command would be

su -mm -c mount --bind /data/data/hosts /system/etc/hosts

Your version of su doesn't have -mm (or -M or --mount-master). Those options force the command (or shell) to run in the global namespace. If you're not in the global namespace then nothing other than the process that issues the command can see changes like a bind mount. To all other processes it would be as though no command had been issued.

So I don't know if your su runs in the global namespace by default or not.

Magisk actually integrates quite well also. As things stand you may well be stuck with a symlink. Which isn't systemless, but since you're running Lineage that really doesn't matter.
12th September 2019, 11:42 PM |#13769  
Wrocław
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

Adaway doesn't - can't - discriminate how you're connected to the internet. It's a domain name server (DNS) redirect. It's job is simply to facilitate the process of adding redirects to the hosts file.

Ok and how about this ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190912-174102__01.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	4818821  
13th September 2019, 12:19 AM |#13770  
Thanks Meter: 2,050

More
Quote:

Ok and how about this ?

That actually doesn't have anything to do with Adaway. If your mobile data goes through a proxy, then it bypasses the hosts file on your device and there's nothing Adaway can do about that. You can try going to your APN settings and removing the proxy there. If the proxy is set on SIM card, AFAIK, there's nothing to be done.

If the fundamental problem is that ads are displayed on mobile data but not on WiFi after enabling Adaway, and you're visiting the same sites on both mobile and Wi-Fi, then there is a proxy server somewhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
13th September 2019, 01:21 AM |#13771  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 1,821

More
Quote:

Hi.
Any tips?

I had an issue with ads not being blkocked by my hoists file when on mobile data. The following may help:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...s#post79772639
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...s#post79754171
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)