FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

Gorilla glass- good stuff?

1,351 posts
Thanks Meter: 91

By alodar1, Senior Member on 6th January 2011, 12:53 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So, any thoughts about gorilla glass? Today my 2week old dvp shattered. Yes, I dropped it. But, I've dropped phones before with no damage .

I ordered s new one while I fight to get a replacement. Low expectations on that. However I'm thinking my expectations on gorilla glass may have been too high.

Anyone with s more correct expectation level willing to reset mine?

6th January 2011, 06:52 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alodar1

So, any thoughts about gorilla glass? Today my 2week old dvp shattered. Yes, I dropped it. But, I've dropped phones before with no damage .

I ordered s new one while I fight to get a replacement. Low expectations on that. However I'm thinking my expectations on gorilla glass may have been too high.

Anyone with s more correct expectation level willing to reset mine?

technically your gorilla glass didnt shatter you had a bad drop and the glass layer under the gorrila broke. trust me ive taken a hammer to the top layer and nothing. if you drop the phone with the screen facing down then your ok. but drop it on the sides or the back and you can get the layers under the gorilla to break
6th January 2011, 01:45 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Auburn, WA
Thanks Meter: 91

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAUN231

technically your gorilla glass didnt shatter you had a bad drop and the glass layer under the gorrila broke. trust me ive taken a hammer to the top layer and nothing. if you drop the phone with the screen facing down then your ok. but drop it on the sides or the back and you can get the layers under the gorilla to break

no, it shattered. Top, bottom, and every layer in between. I cut myself on the pieces falling off. I do have a pic I'll share later. I thought it landed face down...loohed like it. But the break pattern indicated more towards the edge. Funny thing though, I was also holding my hd2 at the same time..both dropped togethr. One on top of the other. Both broke, indicating the drop was similar to what you day.

The Dell shattered completely, inner and putter layers. Only a tiny part of the screen is alive. The hd2 has cracks, but is usable.
6th January 2011, 04:12 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alodar1

no, it shattered. Top, bottom, and every layer in between. I cut myself on the pieces falling off. I do have a pic I'll share later. I thought it landed face down...loohed like it. But the break pattern indicated more towards the edge. Funny thing though, I was also holding my hd2 at the same time..both dropped togethr. One on top of the other. Both broke, indicating the drop was similar to what you day.

The Dell shattered completely, inner and putter layers. Only a tiny part of the screen is alive. The hd2 has cracks, but is usable.

oh wow can you seperate the gorilla glass from the phone. i mean youll most likely get a replacement mines is coming today the shipped it overnight my battery exploded lol backcover melted its not nice
6th January 2011, 08:07 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
it would be nice if you provide some details pictures.
6th January 2011, 11:51 PM |#6  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAUN231

I dropped the phone glass first on a pavement, it had a screen protector. Though the screen didn't break nor are there any scratches but it did get a pin point dent on the glass

I guess if they are not sure about the amount of RAM they put in this phone who is to say if this is a real gorilla glass.

Just curious, the hammer thing you did, was it on a DVP?
7th January 2011, 02:21 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
I read an article somewhere that said that gorilla glass is only strongest when it is at the center and it is not as good at the edges.
2nd February 2011, 02:46 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I've seen all Gorilla Glass demo's done hitting it in the middle. I've seen just about every single break happen because of edge damage.

This should be addressed IMO.
2nd February 2011, 01:41 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
My DVP has scratches all over the screen...Scratch resistent my butt..

Good thing I'm getting my replacement today
2nd February 2011, 04:07 PM |#10  
Orange
Thanks Meter: 9

More
i keep my DVP in my pocket all the time and the glass doesn't have a single scratch.
2nd February 2011, 05:29 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbowman

i keep my DVP in my pocket all the time and the glass doesn't have a single scratch.

Same here.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)