[HOW TO] Calibrate Desire Battery

Search This thread

crenchy

Dec 6, 2017
I know this thread is several years old, but I wanted to share my experience in the hopes of getting further suggestions. Hopefully, someone is still subscribed to this thread.

I have a HTC Desire 626, and am experiencing all of the battery drain/shut off issues described (fast drain, percentage decreasing while plugged in and charging, random percentage shutoff, "restarting app __ of __" on startup, etc.).

To this point, I have tried installing a microSD card to increase space (I now have about 4.2GB, or 25%, free), using the Norton Clean app, wiping the cache partition (which worked for about a week), rebooting in safe mode, and running a battery calibration app.

Today, after reading these instructions and the tips that followed in this thread and others, I performed these steps:

1. With phone turned on, charge to 100%/green light (it took all day, and I had to unplug my charger from the wall, wait 10+ seconds, and plug it back in before it would charge without interruption).

2. After light turns green, allow to charge 2 more hours.

3. Disconnect phone and power off. (It immediately dropped to 99% when I disconnected.)

4. With phone powered off, reconnect to charger. (The light turned amber, and held at 99% for a while before turning green again.)

5. Allow phone to charge for 1 hour after light turns green.

6. With phone still powered off, disconnect charger.

7. While disconnected, power phone on. (When I did so, I got the "Restarting apps" message, but not the "Restarting app __ of __" message.)

8. Power off.

9. Reconnect charger and charge until light turns green.

10. Charge for 1hr after light turns green.

11. Reboot to bootloader.

12. Access recovery mode.

13. Wipe cache partition (Advanced -> Wipe Battery Stats wasn't an option).

14. Reboot phone.

When my phone finished rebooting, the battery percentage was 89%. It dropped to 87% within 2ish minutes.

Since it's been turned on (less than 30min), it's received a few E-mails and updated two apps. The percentage is now 82%.

Any suggestions as to what I did wrong, could do differently, or how to fix my problems?

Thanks so much.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Found this on another forum, I have done this a few times myself (do it whenever i flash a new rom because i always clear battery stats, can't hurt). Have found that it does top it up a fair bit. Before doing this i find my desire will drop to +-93% straight off the charger, however this keeps it 100% longer and i actually get to see the numbers 99-94%:)

Worth a go in my opinion because it only takes 5 mins of your time and can't hurt the phone... So any minor gain from this process is a win...

Hi *******, I understand your concern regarding battery life on your Nexus One device. The following steps should significantly extend the battery life on your phone. Please connect the phone to the charger with the phone powered on, and allow the phone to charge until the notification LED is green, indicating the device is fully charged. Disconnect the phone from the charger, and power it off. Reconnect the phone to the charger with the phone powered off, and allow the phone to charge until the notification LED is green. Disconnect the phone from the charger and power it on. Once the phone is powered completely on, power it off again and reconnect it to the charger until the notification LED is green. Disconnect the phone, power it on, and use it. You need to use this sequence only once. If the issue of battery life on our phone persists, I recommend you contact our HTC accessory department directly.

Mod Edit: There have been a few reports of damaged batteries by people on this thread. There is a chance that this MAY damage your battery. Please bear this in mind if you choose to follow the instructions above.
    You should wipe battery stats after its fully green (when powered off) then boot the phone back up.

You only need to do this once

I.e.

Charge till full when powered on
    power off
    charge till full again
    boot into recovery wipe stats
    boot and continue to use as normal
    Stunning how much people read this thread and remain under impression this is how calibration is supposed to be done. The only real calibration is through Nexus calibrator by Jon Richards and everything else such as deleting batterystats.bin is just foolish.

This thread should have tag 'deprecated' or something similar.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
    No it's because the battery has some kind of protection against over-over charging(in case that you have bad charger/electricity connection). It has a small module in it that protects it from going to the real 0%(in which case the battery is totally dead and unrecoverable) and from going it to charge itself to 110%-ish. That stuff happens, so the module must first "learn" it's okay to charge it 100%.

I think that somewhere I've read that it's.... oh there it is
    [tip] charge battery after green light for atleast 2-3 hours. THEN wipe before you unplug with the fully charged batt. It will def. gain you battery life more than just 1 hour after green light... I think its because of the trickling mechanism that it turns into after it has so much charge in it. I do that now and It usually takes 2-3 hours with moderate usage to get down to 85% (auto brightness). that's with wifi and edge on (0% without signal bcuz of using edge)

if battery is not at 4197mv it's not fully charged. =p GL

I just updated to cm6rc2 for this kernel... yesterday i got 12.5 hrs battery before it died. hopefully this will do even better

So 4197mv is full charged. When it goes over like 4200mv it's very dangerous and it may blow-up quickly. If it goes 4500mv-ish it's just BOOM!
    icon10.gif

And soo.. yes 4197 will never blow-up(seriously) a little more then that and boom. This "hack" makes the module "learn" to charge it to 4197. Or less in most cases.
    Don't know yet. I guess I'll stick around here for a while.

I guess I'll hold unsubscribing to the Desire section then. :D

via xda app