FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

F22's Latest Rootfs (Apr 19th, 2011) Highlandsun's RIL Support Patches Merged + More

342 posts
Thanks Meter: 143

By F22, Senior Member on 31st January 2011, 06:57 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
31st January 2011, 09:04 PM |#11  
Flag Heraklion, Crete
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by F22

To be entirely honest at this point, I'm not certain how android handles that. I can look at android's documentation as my time permits. What native android handsets are currently available in Greece or Russia? If we could pull the key layout/map files off of one to serve as an example, that would make creating Cyrillic layout/map sets much easier.

Currently Desire Z is a native Greek android phone. I looked on the HTC Greek manual and the keys are double inscribed (corresponding Greek characters are inscribed next to the Latin ones). This means that Desire Z can write Greek with the hardware keyboard but I am not sure which is the exact procedure to change between layouts.

31st January 2011, 09:32 PM |#12  
OP Senior Member

More
Re: Rhod500 Issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmstumme

[Codes]Selected Keyboard: rhod500
RhodInfo=rhod500
RhodModel=rhod500
Rhod100Lang=
RhodOptions=
mpkl=rhod500
Selected MicroP Key Layout: /init.etc/keymaps/rhod500_microp-keypad.kl
Selected MicroP Key Code Map: /init.etc/keymaps/rhod500_microp-keypad.kcm
Mapping Button 4 to ENDCALL
Selected Keyboard: rhod500
RhodInfo=rhod500
RhodModel=rhod500
Rhod100Lang=
RhodOptions=
mpkl=rhod500
Selected Keyboard: rhod500
RhodInfo=rhod500
RhodModel=rhod500
Rhod100Lang=
RhodOptions=
mpkl=rhod500
[/code]

Sent from my MSM using XDA App

Hmmm...that looks exactly as it should. Is anyone else with a rhod500 experiencing this issue? When I return later tonight I'll tell my rhodium it has a 500 kbd and see if I experience the same issue. The three microp front panel buttons (call, menu, back) are the same across all of the model layouts.
31st January 2011, 09:42 PM |#13  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierGr

Currently Desire Z is a native Greek android phone. I looked on the HTC Greek manual and the keys are double inscribed (corresponding Greek characters are inscribed next to the Latin ones). This means that Desire Z can write Greek with the hardware keyboard but I am not sure which is the exact procedure to change between layouts.

The easiest/quickest way to make a Greek key map/layout for the rhod100_gr is to get someone you know who has a Desire Z to copy the .kl & .kcm files off their handset and use them as a guide. Alternately, if we can obtain a Greek version of the Desire Z ROM then we can pull the required files off it. Failing that we'd need to first look up how to handle the language key in the android docs and replace envelope with that in a new Greek key layout file, and then find the utf8 representation of each Cyrillic character and add them all to a new Greek keymap. It would be far quicker to pull the utf8 hex codes from a pre-existing Android Greek .kcm file however.
31st January 2011, 10:05 PM |#14  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I tried this out today on a rhodium100 using rhodium100_uk setting. I originally did not try the b4Home cmdline option, but found a problem with prehome.

I used spare parts to set the end key to be home. and then set prehome to be my home app and then configed prehome to launch launcher as the home app. The "end" key worked as desired and launched prehome. But I could not get the second press of home (while in prehome) to trigger and launch launcher. Nor would a double press of home get me to the launcher.

This issue could be a prehome issue.

I will do some more testing tomorrow using the b4Home feature (first test of it did not work too well as i seem to be stuck in prehome with no way of getting out as the home key does nothing once inside prehome).
1st February 2011, 03:26 AM |#15  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 264

Donate to Me
More
If we use this b4home option, is the Spare Parts end button setting relevant any more? Do we have to undo anything on that setting, or does it just not matter?
1st February 2011, 03:57 AM |#16  
Flag Toronto

More
I have confirmed that the b4Home option has no effect on my rhodium 100. Maybe I am doing it wrong? I simply added the text b4Home as an extra argument inside the quotes of the set cmdline in startup.txt. (I also tried b4home - lowercase h). During these tests i removed the spare parts setting for the end key.

The only way I can get a working home key is to use spare parts and assign home as the end key action. Single press of home then works correctly, but a double press does not work (it seems to do nothing). A press of the home key after invoking prehome or task switcher does nothing.

I have a very early T7373 model and am using the 100_uk keyboard setting as I have the dollar, euro and pound symbols on my keyboard.

I believe i applied the rootfs.img correctly as the envelope key opens search and envelope b opens the browser.

About phone reveals
Android version 2.2.1
kernel version 2.6.27.46-01202-g6c41ca6
build number FRX03

I previously had installed android back in september and was never able to get a working home key.

Any hints on other tests / tweaks I could perform?
1st February 2011, 04:05 AM |#17  
OP Senior Member

More
Combining b4home with the spare parts option
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandsun

If we use this b4home option, is the Spare Parts end button setting relevant any more? Do we have to undo anything on that setting, or does it just not matter?

The Spare Parts setting becomes irrelevant if the b4home option is used. The Spare Parts option changes the behavior of the button assigned the ENDCALL keycode. The b4home option on the other hand changes the actual keycode of the button from ENDCALL to HOME. There is thus no longer a button or key assigned the keycode ENDCALL for Spare Parts to modify.
1st February 2011, 01:11 PM |#18  
OP Senior Member

More
GPIO key layout not loading properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingtimmy

I tried this out today on a rhodium100 using rhodium100_uk setting. I originally did not try the b4Home cmdline option, but found a problem with prehome.

I used spare parts to set the end key to be home. and then set prehome to be my home app and then configed prehome to launch launcher as the home app. The "end" key worked as desired and launched prehome. But I could not get the second press of home (while in prehome) to trigger and launch launcher. Nor would a double press of home get me to the launcher.

This issue could be a prehome issue.

This isn't entirely surprising. The option in spare parts doesn't truly make endcall the home key, it just enables the endcall key to function as home on short presses. Long presses still don't work, and if preHome checks the actual keycode of the key, it will see endcall and not home. So I'm not particularly surprised that preHome isn't working with the option in spare parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingtimmy

I have confirmed that the b4Home option has no effect on my rhodium 100. Maybe I am doing it wrong? I simply added the text b4Home as an extra argument inside the quotes of the set cmdline in startup.txt. (I also tried b4home - lowercase h). During these tests i removed the spare parts setting for the end key.

The only way I can get a working home key is to use spare parts and assign home as the end key action. Single press of home then works correctly, but a double press does not work (it seems to do nothing). A press of the home key after invoking prehome or task switcher does nothing.

I have a very early T7373 model and am using the 100_uk keyboard setting as I have the dollar, euro and pound symbols on my keyboard.

I believe i applied the rootfs.img correctly as the envelope key opens search and envelope b opens the browser.

About phone reveals
Android version 2.2.1
kernel version 2.6.27.46-01202-g6c41ca6
build number FRX03

I previously had installed android back in september and was never able to get a working home key.

Any hints on other tests / tweaks I could perform?

There are actually 2 different layout files that XDAndroid uses depending on the driver responsible for the keys/buttons in question. It sounds like your microp layout file is working splendidly as evidenced by envelope working fine as search/short cuts. Nevertheless it sounds like you're not loading the correct gpio layout file.

The option to reassign button 4 on the front panel to Home is actually b4HOME, and not b4Home or b4home. Linux is case sensitive and there was an error in my instructions above. I've now fixed the instructions in post #1. Thanks for reporting the issue.
1st February 2011, 04:15 PM |#19  
Flag Toronto

More
Awesome!

the b4HOME works a treat on my rhod100_uk. prehome working as expected with launcher now. single, double and long press all work.

no need to remap the end key versus spare parts.

thanks!
1st February 2011, 06:49 PM |#20  
OP Senior Member

More
New Rootfs (Feb 1st) - Tilt2 Bug Fixed
I've posted a new (Feb 1st) release of my rootfs. See the 1st post for the download link. It includes two changes:

1) The Feb 1st release fixes a bug biting Tilt2's. In the previous Jan 31st release a symbolic link was missing causing the copying over of the microp keymap binary to fail. Tilt2 users who were experiencing issues with the Jan 31st version should go ahead and try the new version. Thank you randomblame for reporting the bug.

2) It also adds a default keyboard set for rhodium, so that rhodiums will get the rhod100_uk keyboard set assigned by default if no "physkeyboard=" field is present in startup.txt. Previously a non-rhodium keyboard that worked poorly on rhodiums had been assigned.
1st February 2011, 07:04 PM |#21  
OP Senior Member

More
rhod 500 issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by F22

Hmmm...that looks exactly as it should. Is anyone else with a rhod500 experiencing this issue? When I return later tonight I'll tell my rhodium it has a 500 kbd and see if I experience the same issue. The three microp front panel buttons (call, menu, back) are the same across all of the model layouts.

I've confirmed that there is an issue with the microp key layout file for the rhod500. I am looking into it. With the tilt2 bug now fixed, this is the only existing bug I'm currently aware of in this rootfs.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)