SD Cards Which Do & Dont Work With The Defy

Search This thread

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011
Just to add the problems seem to be more prevalent with the official 2.2 release, if you are using another ROM please specify.

Reactions: bobbyphoenix

Titankahn

May 13, 2011
Had the same issue, but after formating via Windows 7 using "slow" format and clusters of 4096, it is working flawlessly, so:

KNOWN TO WORK after formating correctly.

Transcend 8GB Class 6

Well after format my card also worked temporarily. I used the offical sd formatter tool of the sd card association.

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011
Ill be honest the class 10 cards i have used worked great and returned fast speeds using SD Tools but as soon as you used the camera or something where the card needed writing to it all went wrong

nameite

Aug 1, 2011
Could be a fake...got a fake kingston like that...32Gig class10

ANyways
Known to work:
Team 16gig class 10

Some hassles at first using 2.2.1 froyo, like the contact isnt right
But after CM7.1 it is working perfect...
read speed 14mbit
write speed 10mbit

TJKV

Jun 25, 2011
Sandisk 2GB (The one that comes with the Defy)

Read:12.8MB/s
Write:6.9MB/s

Sandisk 8GB Class 4

Read:25.3MB/s
Write:4.7MB/s

Both the above cards work. But the first time I inserted the 8GB card, the phone had problems; It wound stutter and freeze only when the USB cable was connected (even if the other end wasn't connected to anything). I formatted in Windows (FAT32 4096 cluster size) and it works well :)

Speeds are averages of multiple tests in SD Tools.

hackergnome

Apr 21, 2011
Bengaluru
Transend 4gig class 4 works fine no probs

A Chinese 'Silicone Teck 4gig class 2 DOESN'T WORK gets stuck at checking error tried formatting (via CWM)but wont do it...

Sent from my MB525 using XDA Premium App

bobbyphoenix

Mar 30, 2010
Orlando, FL
Had the same issue, but after formatting via Windows 7 using "slow" format and clusters of 4096, it is working flawlessly, so:

KNOWN TO WORK after formatting correctly.

Transcend 8GB Class 6

I may have spoke to soon. It WAS working correctly until I started putting all my apps back on it, and then it started acting up all over again. I went back to a 4GB class 2 I had sitting around. Seems to be working well even with my apps on it. I can't believe this is so hard to find cards that just work.

EDIT - The 4GB Class 2 that is working is a SanDisk

Last edited:

gommers1978

Oct 26, 2006
I may have spoke to soon. It WAS working correctly until I started putting all my apps back on it, and then it started acting up all over again. I went back to a 4GB class 2 I had sitting around. Seems to be working well even with my apps on it. I can't believe this is so hard to find cards that just work.

EDIT - The 4GB Class 2 that is working is a SanDisk

You put apps on your SDcard? Not in your internal memory?
I have a 16 GB Trancend Class 6 have no problems, only with Sygic Aura but i think thats because of this crappy app that still has to be fixed. Running with it for 2 months no problems with all other apps etc.
(My apps are installed in the internal memory enough space with the 2GB, not on the SD card)

Titankahn

May 13, 2011
well with the more data u put into the sd card the more wrong sectors will be used thats why it will freeze and become unstable write dmesg in terminal emulator and check for errors

bobbyphoenix

Mar 30, 2010
Orlando, FL
You put apps on your SDcard? Not in your internal memory?
I have a 16 GB Trancend Class 6 have no problems, only with Sygic Aura but i think thats because of this crappy app that still has to be fixed. Running with it for 2 months no problems with all other apps etc.
(My apps are installed in the internal memory enough space with the 2GB, not on the SD card)

I wish I could just keep them all on my internal memory. With over 400 apps I run low even with 2GB available internally.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lets post what cards we do know work and the ones that don't because this is starting to cost people money just trying to find out. It is becoming apparent the faster the class the less likely the card will work. All class 2 and 4 cards seems to work, the majority of class 6 cards work but class 10 cards that work are few and far between.

The problems seem to be with the official moto release of 2.2, many had no problems with 2.1 so the issues are with the software not the hardware.

Known to work with 2.2

Samsung Plus 8GB class 6 (MB-MP8G) http://tinyurl.com/42fks93

Known not to work with 2.2

PNY 16GB class 10 http://tinyurl.com/4xywwue

Below is the speeds of the known working Samsung class 6 card.
    Known to Work
    SanDisk 8GB class 4 -> works very well and records smooth 720p videos:)
    Known to Work
    Memorette class 10 32GB card:)
    Very insteresting, I haven't had any of those issues with my Memorette class 10 32GB card. Tested with a good average speeds of 14MBps. I wanted a class 10 card in order to be future proof (HD recording etc).

Currently running the beta stock Orange Ginger (2.3) rom at 1GHz.

//Dave
    Just to add the problems seem to be more prevalent with the official 2.2 release, if you are using another ROM please specify.
    SanDisk 16gb class 4 and Transcend 16gb class 4. Works fine on me :)