[Howto] Fix "Battery Low - Cannot program"

Search This thread

farsight73

Dec 29, 2010
Selangor
Actually one should solder a 100kohms resister between the +ve 5V and ground to make the output stable around 3.7V. A constant +ve 5V would kill things around if you're unlucky. This mod will eventually preventing any USB ports or phone to fried or explode as it run just enough power required for the phone!

I'd done this mod 5 years ago with my old motorola E398 to bypass the battery status in program mode(boot loader screen).

omnipotentduo

Feb 7, 2011
Good call on the resistor, I was trying to figure out how much resistance to put in the circuit but I'm just not that bright, so I just went with the original instructions and on left it on for a couple of mins. Thanks again I love my defy now that its been deblured and am going to hang on to it as long as possible

Sent from my MB525 using XDA Premium App

kiedamrong

May 3, 2007
The tip worked for me to continue with firmware upgrade, but after I got the Defy to restart and replace another battery I borrowed from my friend, it still says "invalid battery" for it to charge with, please help.

farsight73

Dec 29, 2010
Selangor
The tip worked for me to continue with firmware upgrade, but after I got the Defy to restart and replace another battery I borrowed from my friend, it still says "invalid battery" for it to charge with, please help.

Not sure if I understand you correctly... but you seemed to have burned out your defy internal charger circuit.. a sudden high current spike might burn the board if you're not careful, even a leakage low grade battery could kill your phone.

Reactions: atomical007

zuperfly

Nov 3, 2007
good morning,

my pc complains about power surge when i try this mod... any idea why?

if i get the defy in bootloader and then i plug in the macgyver cable, then it works... not yet unbricked my phone however :)

it worked... i needed to keep the battery directly connected to a usb loader (not pc) for a while to give it a little juice...then rds recognized and i managed to flash something... now it is on... :)

thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: atomical007

schossler

Dec 21, 2010
Estrela - RS
My cel not show "Battery low - Cannot program" but I just got the Motorola "M" logo.

I test 3 diffrente sbf in my cel and not boot complete.

Any ideia if this work in my cel ?

Thanks, sorry my english.

diggernaut

Apr 16, 2011
Hi, had the same issue after using clockworkmod for defy to load gapps to my defy. Thought all was lost at 3am, largely due to rsdlite not recognising the device, and all the messing around ran the battery down. Contemplated this briefly and even prepped the usb, then backed off cause I thought I shoudl wait till the morning when i had a clear head.
Well in short, on my way to bed I plugged 0% the phone into the wall (with a blackberry wall charger though - not sure if moto would work and dont have to hand to compare details), and woke up to a joyous 100% of battery. Not before i cut the usb cable though ;)

diggernaut

Apr 16, 2011
schossler,

Prereqs:
RSD Lite 4.9
Your stock ROM (depends where you are, wher the phone came from)
Your desired ROM

Steps:
Charge phone fully
Switch phone fully off i.e. pull the battery
Boot to bootloader (Power & vol+)
USe RSDlite to flash a Stock Rom
Boot to stock recovery and wipe (Power & vol-)
Reboot

You will need to root/update to your rom as per normal process for your loaded stock ROM

Fuzorx

Jun 3, 2009
im still trying to get my phone on of this crap my phone goes in bootloader mode every time i hook it into the computer but my screen still black.only when updating it says sw updating shows up when flashing. i flashed 2 diff sbf two times it say complete but still the same thing? maybe I should use rsdlite 4.9 not 5.0?

slyb2

Dec 12, 2008
stupid question: must there be used a mini -usb cable or even an "older" one?

Proda

Apr 21, 2011
Melbourne
Works like a charm

Hey guys, this is just f*ckin awesome trick:)

Just few notes to add here so this method could work for most of u.
First, do NOT put your battery in phone while doing this, u will just destroy it (u won't if u are really lucky, but on the other hand, are u lucky if u are reading this thread^^).
Second, if u have Voltage/Current generator at home/lab/office limit current to max 600mA so your phone can't be fried and set Voltage to 3.7V. That was crucial for me, cause phone didn't want to work with, for example 3.5V, just with 3.7V.
Then use some nice clips to connect +/- like mentioned before me...
Now u can start Bootloader and do whatever u like:)

Good luck...

h9s

Oct 18, 2007
Hey guys, this is just f*ckin awesome trick:)

Just few notes to add here so this method could work for most of u.
First, do NOT put your battery in phone while doing this, u will just destroy it (u won't if u are really lucky, but on the other hand, are u lucky if u are reading this thread^^).
Second, if u have Voltage/Current generator at home/lab/office limit current to max 600mA so your phone can't be fried and set Voltage to 3.7V. That was crucial for me, cause phone didn't want to work with, for example 3.5V, just with 3.7V.
Then use some nice clips to connect +/- like mentioned before me...
Now u can start Bootloader and do whatever u like:)

Good luck...

Agreed it's awsome~~~

But i think best was still use the battery since it's temporarily connect to the usb , just until you can boot to boot loader and said connect usb then you plug it out and do as usual (*flash SBF).

deepaks333

Nov 22, 2010
Mine phone is not powering on after RSD flash..but when i connect to PC RSD detects

OK, I did the same... Ran out of battery in the middle of the flash... System does not boot up, does not charge, does not leave bootloader because of corrupt flash...

Good thing I have a lab power supply (regulated, stabilized voltage from 3-30V) on my desk (don't ask ;)) and some nice clips to connect the power.

Some notes:
  • 3V is enough to flash. (Battery was down to 2.5V, which is not enough)
  • 5V (USB) might be a bit much (battery has 3.7V rating) - so don't leave it connected for too long...
  • Please don't connect the battery to this setup. Unregulated charging of Li-Ion/Li-Pol battery might result in fires!

Well, system restored, charging again! HAPPY!

Hi,, PLs help me
I installed CM7 beta6 but i didn't like it..so went for RSDlite to 2.59 stock rom... RSD lite shows PASS but my phone is not powering ON.. i thought might be corrupt *.sbf..so i downloaded it again and RSD ite is detecting the phone and flashing the device but again its not powering ON.. i think as soon as i am pluging the battery its going to flash mode..... then i reflashed the stock rom 3.4 and this time phone goes and stuck as android logo screen...pls help what to do..
i am charging my battery with wall charger to avoid low battery error

Dark_Plasma

Apr 27, 2011
Tampa
@deepaks333 Before flashing stock rom through rsdlite go to recovery and wipe data that should do the trick. To get to stock recovery power one while holding volume down. Then press volume up and down at the same time.

Sent from my lightning fast defy running CM7.....

Last edited:

arthurlage

Jan 10, 2011
Man, I don´t have words to thank you!

My defy dead when I was updating and I was only getting code error.
And I was not able to flash nothing, so I discovered that i should use RSD 4.9 (I was using 4.6), bit I discovered it too late, and the battery was dead.
So I´ve made mcgyver battery and flashed UK t-mobile rom and my defy is back to life again!
But i´m having a problem on the touch screen. it´s not working.
but this is another problem.
thank you a lot man!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer: This worked for me, your mileage may vary. You might end up ruining your phone and even hurting yourself in the process. Do this on your own risk, I cannot be held responsible for whatever illness, fires, explosions or biblical plagues that may or may not befall you after following these steps. You have been warned.

Props to these guys for leading the way: http://modmymobile.com/forums/8-gui...w-flash-phone-battery-low-cannot-program.html

Well this was scary... I installed the System Recovery app last night but after clicking "recovery boot" I just got the Motorola "M" logo and nothing else. Booting into recovery, I got the message "Battery low - Cannot program". Odd... there was about 80% charge left when I rebooted. Ah well, I let it sit in the charger overnight. This morning: "Battery low - Cannot program". Not good. After some googling I found out that I had two options:
    1) Send it in for repair, claim that it just suddenly stopped booting. Cross my fingers they don't fix it and see it being rooted, running a custom rom with JIT, deodex, overclocking, undervolting and just about every single hack available for the Defy.

2) Go McGyver. This is what I did:

Get a USB cable, cut the off the B plug (the one that plugs into the device) and strip away the shielding, revealing the 4 individual wires inside: White, Green, Red and Black. Red is +5V DC and Black is ground. strip a few (1-2) mm's off each and gently push them into the + and - slots on the battery. Apply some tape to keep them in place, but don't cover the other connectors. Now plug the battery back in, a tight fit, but possible if you've peeled back the shielding and the white and green wires so that only Black and Red are actually being crammed in there with the battery.

mcgyver.JPG

Be VERY careful that the wires are ONLY touching their appropriate terminals. Otherwise you might fry your phone and/or make your battery explode. Red goes to the + terminal, Black goes to the - terminal

Plug the business end of the newly modded usb cable into your computer, thus allowing 5V DC to flow directly to your phone and battery. This is basically like jump leads for a car, but 5V and for a phone :)

Get the bootloader going (Volume up + power on) and you should now see a message along the lines of "ready to program, connect USB data cable". This is where you connect your phone to the micro USB cable you have lying around (Please tell me you didn't just kill that cable to make your USB jump leads) and connect the other end to your computer. Using RSD Lite, you should now be able to flash an SBF to the phone, and be on your merry way soon hereafter.
    This is the safer way to charge just a battery.. you dont need to cut any wires anymore. USB battery charger for Defy http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BF5X-Battery-...289712?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item4157863df0 or just a charger for 3.99$ http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Motorola-Defy...307?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a63866163
    Motorola_MB525_MB520_DEFY_Battery______.jpg

Motorola_BF5X_Defy_15.jpg

I have used the similar charger for xperia x1 and it really works good ! :)
    It still makes me smile when a new users posts that this has helped him/her save a phone :)

Edit: Don't y'all be afraid to click that "Thanks" button in the OP ;)
    some more screens

i think this is a "secure way to do this" .. was my way, didnt rescue my defy, but
    VOL UP key before BATTERY IN ... may have... maybe this helps someone :)
    charged first, flashed later
    OK, I did the same... Ran out of battery in the middle of the flash... System does not boot up, does not charge, does not leave bootloader because of corrupt flash...

Good thing I have a lab power supply (regulated, stabilized voltage from 3-30V) on my desk (don't ask ;)) and some nice clips to connect the power.

Some notes:
    • 3V is enough to flash. (Battery was down to 2.5V, which is not enough)
    • 5V (USB) might be a bit much (battery has 3.7V rating) - so don't leave it connected for too long...
    • Please don't connect the battery to this setup. Unregulated charging of Li-Ion/Li-Pol battery might result in fires!

Well, system restored, charging again! HAPPY!