[GUIDE]The nexus 7 ultimate guide [EASY]

Do you think The info. provided in the guide is enough

• Yes. It's truely a ultimate guide.

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • No. It doesn't have enough info.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Kinda. Some stuff is missing (i"ll post it below)

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
Search This thread

TechMasta

Mar 4, 2013
Hi guys, this is the ultimate guide for your nexus 7.This guide has all basic instructions you need, from rooting to flashing to tips & tricks. Enjoy :D

Rooting :

Here's a link to a guide to rooting your nexus 7 (nexus 7 toolkit) (easier way) - click here

Guide to rooting your nexus 7 manually - click here

Here's a video tutorial to root your nexus 7 - click here or click here

Flashing :

How to flash cyanogenmod 10.1 on your nexus 7 (can be used as a basic flashing guide) - click here

Video tutorial - click here

Tips & tricks, scripts etc. :

Nexus 7 720p recording mod - click here

Stock Firmware/ROM for nexus 7 - click here

7 Things You Must Do On Your Google Nexus 7 Tablet (video) - click here

16 Nexus 7 Tips & Tricks That You Need To Know - click here

How To Keep Root When Updating OTA on Android (video) - click here

50 Nexus 7 Android Hints and Tips (1 hour long awesome video) - click here

Custom Recoveries :

For info. On what Custom Recoveries are and what they do. Refer to the FAQ Below

Clockworkmod recovery

Download clockworkmod recovery 6.0.2.3 - click here

Check for the latest version of clockworkmod and download - click here

Guide on how to install clockworkmod on your nexus 7 - click here

TWRP Recovery

Download TWRP Recovery - click here

Guide on how to install TWRP Recovery - click here

General guide to using Clockworkmod recovery (instructions should be similar on TWRP) - click here

Sideloading

For info. On what's sideloading, refer to the FAQ.

Here's the conventional way of sideloading apps. - click here

How to sideload apps using airdorid (Easier way, i prefer it) - click here

How to get adobe flash for your nexus 7 - click here

Apps & Widgets

Best Android apps of 2012 - click here

Top apps for nexus 7 - click here

Top apps for rooted android - click here

Also for more rooted apps - click here

Best games for the nexus 7 - Click here and click here

Best widgets for android - click here

More widgets - click here

Best widgets for android (video) - click here

Best widgets for nexus 7(video) - click here

Back Up & restore

How to back up your nexus 7 info. - click here

How to restore your nexus 7 if you screwed up - click here

How to do a nandroid backup on your nexus 7 (root required) (video) - click here

How to use titanium backup (requires root) - click here

Troubleshooting problems

6 Potential Problems and How to Fix Them - click here

Most common nexus 7 problems - click here

How to unbrick your nexus 7 - click here

how to unbrick/unroot your nexus 7 (video) - click here

FAQ :

What is root?

Getting root or rooting your phone is the process of modifying the operating system that shipped with your device to grant you complete control over it.

Why do i need root?

By having root access you can overcome limitations that the carriers and manufacturers put on your phone, extend system functionality, and even upgrade it to a custom flavor of Android (Custom ROM).

Is rooting safe?

Yes. Rooting if safe if done correctly. but there is a slight chance that you brick it (ruin it)

What is bricking a phone/tablet?

A bricked cell phone is one that no longer works and is about as useful as a "brick"

How do i unbrick my phone/tablet?

You can only unbrick your phone if it is soft bricked by flashing stock firmware to the phone. If it's a hard brick, you're screwed.

What is a custom rom?

A custom ROM is a fully standalone version of the OS, including the kernel (which makes everything run), apps, services, etc - everything you need to operate the device, except it's customized by someone in some way.

What is a kernel?

A kernel is the lowest level of software on your device. It acts as the go between for your device's hardware and the Android operating system. It controls functions like:
-CPU speed
-GPU speed
-Camera

Why do i need a custom kernel?

Customized kernels provide modifications and optimizations made by the kernels author. They often also allow for customization of some of your hardware's functions.

Which is the best Custom ROM?

It's a personal matter of preference. The most popular ones include Cyanogenmod, ParanoidAndroid, AOKP and many more!

Which is the best Kernel?

It depends on what you want to improve. Battery life, performance etc. Popular ones include Fanco kernel (I prefer it, better for battery life) , Faux Kernel (for performance) etc.

What is a recovery?

In Android, recovery refers to the dedicated, bootable partition that has the recovery console installed. A combination of key presses,will boot your phone to recovery, where you can find tools to help repair/recover your installation as well as install official OS updates.Its main purpose is to delete all user data and files, or to perform system updates. When you tell your phone to do a factory reset, recovery is what boots up and erases the files and data. Besides the said functions the stock recovery does not offer much of any other usefullness to someone looking to modify their android device.

What is a custom recovery?

A Custom Recovery is a recovery developed to give much more functionality than the stock recovery. Useful for modding

What does a custom recovery do?

A custom recovery lets you perform several advanced operations on your Android device such as

•Wiping your phone’s data,cache, and Dalvik cache.
•Make, restore and manage backups of your phone’s operating system and software.
•Install a custom ROM(operating system) or application from a zip file to make specific modifications to your device.

What is sideloading?

It means installing applications without using the official Android Market.

If you know anything else that i have missed/want to add post a reply

All ideas are encouraged :good:

Also thanks to GedBlake, He has provided me with extra info. to put in this guide :good:

Hit the thanks button if i helped :cowboy:

Last edited:

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
When I really want to know how to flash CM, I go straight to an authoritative source - the San Francisco Examiner. :D

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
Well... much of it is a bit 'obvious' and also much here has been written before elsewhere, arguably better... but still, if it's offered guidance to those just embarking on the Android journey... then that's got to be a good thing.

We all begin somewhere... both learning about Android & writing guides about it... which actually, I think is very tricky...and is an art in itself.

Rgrds,
Ged.

TechMasta

Mar 4, 2013
Guys, If you think i have missed something.. Please post it, I will add it. Together we shall make the ultimate guide for nexus 7 truely ultimate :highfive:

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Guys, If you think i have missed something.. Please post it, I will add it. Together we shall make the ultimate guide for nexus 7 truely ultimate :highfive:

Well... there's no doubting your ambition, TechMasta...

Maybe some general stuff about Custom Recoveries (CWM/TWRP).... what they are, what they do and how to flash them.
(I noticed this particular topic to be absent in your original post.)

Rgrds,
Ged.

Reactions: TechMasta

TechMasta

Mar 4, 2013

Maybe some general stuff about Custom Recoveries (CWM/TWRP).... what they are, what they do and how to flash them.

Rgrds,
Ged.

Added! Thanks alot, I really appreciate your help :highfive:

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Shaping up kind of niceley, TechMasta...

-----

Some further suggestions...

Adobe Flash Player (still used in JellyBean)... how to download, and where from (http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html) and how to SIDELOAD and install it... what browsers still support it

SIDELOADING in general... Handling APK's , etc.

-----

Some stuff concerning ODEX/DEODEXed ROMs maybe... differences between them and pro's and con's... or is that getting too technical for what you have in mind?

-----

Anyway, some random thoughts and ideas...

Rgrds,
Ged.

Last edited:
Reactions: TechMasta

TechMasta

Mar 4, 2013
It's now truly ultimate!

-----

Adobe Flash Player (still used in JellyBean)... how to download, and where from (http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html) and how to SIDELOAD and install it... what browsers still support it

-----

Some stuff concerning ODEX/DEODEXed ROMs maybe... differences between them and pro's and con's... or is that getting too technical for what you have in mind?

-----

Rgrds,
Ged.

I added info. on sideloading and also on backup and restore :victory:

This guide is geared more for people with less technical skill. :p

TechMasta

Mar 4, 2013
Bump. i'm bumping so that i can help other people who have just bought their nexus 7 :)

BlackFire27

Jul 8, 2012
Atlanta
I'm already a pro at this kind of crap. But man, you did a great job. The noobz will lovez u

Sent from my Motorola XPRT

crazy_monkey

May 12, 2013
how to restore to stock kernel

hi,a new noobie here.
would like to ask how can we restore to stock kernel after flash a custom kernel ?

TechMasta

Mar 4, 2013
There you go!

hi,a new noobie here.
would like to ask how can we restore to stock kernel after flash a custom kernel ?

It works only if you have unlocked it (which i assume you have)

For instructions to set up fastboot - http://dottech.org/21534/how-to-ins...ows-computer-for-use-with-your-android-phone/

Once you have it set up, boot into fastboot mode.
put the fastboot file and stock image in the same folder,hold shift and right click and open command window here.

Download the stock image from here - https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images and flash it using fastboot. The image contains the kernel :)

before flashing erase everything from the nexus 7 using this fastboot command :

Code:
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata

Flash the bootloader using:

Code:
fastboot flash bootloader imagename.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader

We will now flash the system, boot, and recovery:

Code:
fastboot -w update "name of zip file"

after that just reboot it using - fastboot reboot

Note : replace imgename with the name of the image you are flashing.

Last edited:

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
For instructions to set up fastboot - http://dottech.org/21534/how-to-ins...ows-computer-for-use-with-your-android-phone/

Once you have it set up :

Download the stock image from here - https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images and flash it using fastboot. The image contains the kernel :)

before flashing erase everything from the nexus 7 using this fastboot command :

Code:
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata

Flash it using:

Code:
fastboot flash bootloader imagename.img

Note : replace imgename with the name of the image you are flashing.

Er, actually, this is incorrect.... and will likely cause HARDBRICK!

Flashing a BOOT.IMG (which contains the kernel) to the BOOTLOADER partition is CERTAIN to hard brick the Nexus 7, and IS NOT RECOMMENDED.

To restore the stock kernel, you don't need to erase anything... all you need is the BOOT.IMG from the FACTORY STOCK image for your device.

And the correct syntax is...

Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img

Rgrds,
Ged.

Last edited:

TechMasta

Mar 4, 2013
Fixed!

I was late, so i forgot to add extra steps. this one was only for flashing the bootloader. now ive added setps to flash the remaining ;)

If you only want to flash the stock kernel and not the rest. just use fastboot flash boot boot.img

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys, this is the ultimate guide for your nexus 7.This guide has all basic instructions you need, from rooting to flashing to tips & tricks. Enjoy :D

Rooting :

Here's a link to a guide to rooting your nexus 7 (nexus 7 toolkit) (easier way) - click here

Guide to rooting your nexus 7 manually - click here

Here's a video tutorial to root your nexus 7 - click here or click here

Flashing :

How to flash cyanogenmod 10.1 on your nexus 7 (can be used as a basic flashing guide) - click here

Video tutorial - click here

Tips & tricks, scripts etc. :

Nexus 7 720p recording mod - click here

Stock Firmware/ROM for nexus 7 - click here

7 Things You Must Do On Your Google Nexus 7 Tablet (video) - click here

16 Nexus 7 Tips & Tricks That You Need To Know - click here

How To Keep Root When Updating OTA on Android (video) - click here

50 Nexus 7 Android Hints and Tips (1 hour long awesome video) - click here

Custom Recoveries :

For info. On what Custom Recoveries are and what they do. Refer to the FAQ Below

Clockworkmod recovery

Download clockworkmod recovery 6.0.2.3 - click here

Check for the latest version of clockworkmod and download - click here

Guide on how to install clockworkmod on your nexus 7 - click here

TWRP Recovery

Download TWRP Recovery - click here

Guide on how to install TWRP Recovery - click here

General guide to using Clockworkmod recovery (instructions should be similar on TWRP) - click here

Sideloading

For info. On what's sideloading, refer to the FAQ.

Here's the conventional way of sideloading apps. - click here

How to sideload apps using airdorid (Easier way, i prefer it) - click here

How to get adobe flash for your nexus 7 - click here

Apps & Widgets

Best Android apps of 2012 - click here

Top apps for nexus 7 - click here

Top apps for rooted android - click here

Also for more rooted apps - click here

Best games for the nexus 7 - Click here and click here

Best widgets for android - click here

More widgets - click here

Best widgets for android (video) - click here

Best widgets for nexus 7(video) - click here

Back Up & restore

How to back up your nexus 7 info. - click here

How to restore your nexus 7 if you screwed up - click here

How to do a nandroid backup on your nexus 7 (root required) (video) - click here

How to use titanium backup (requires root) - click here

Troubleshooting problems

6 Potential Problems and How to Fix Them - click here

Most common nexus 7 problems - click here

How to unbrick your nexus 7 - click here

how to unbrick/unroot your nexus 7 (video) - click here

FAQ :

What is root?

Getting root or rooting your phone is the process of modifying the operating system that shipped with your device to grant you complete control over it.

Why do i need root?

By having root access you can overcome limitations that the carriers and manufacturers put on your phone, extend system functionality, and even upgrade it to a custom flavor of Android (Custom ROM).

Is rooting safe?

Yes. Rooting if safe if done correctly. but there is a slight chance that you brick it (ruin it)

What is bricking a phone/tablet?

A bricked cell phone is one that no longer works and is about as useful as a "brick"

How do i unbrick my phone/tablet?

You can only unbrick your phone if it is soft bricked by flashing stock firmware to the phone. If it's a hard brick, you're screwed.

What is a custom rom?

A custom ROM is a fully standalone version of the OS, including the kernel (which makes everything run), apps, services, etc - everything you need to operate the device, except it's customized by someone in some way.

What is a kernel?

A kernel is the lowest level of software on your device. It acts as the go between for your device's hardware and the Android operating system. It controls functions like:
    -CPU speed
    -GPU speed
    -Camera

Why do i need a custom kernel?

Customized kernels provide modifications and optimizations made by the kernels author. They often also allow for customization of some of your hardware's functions.

Which is the best Custom ROM?

It's a personal matter of preference. The most popular ones include Cyanogenmod, ParanoidAndroid, AOKP and many more!

Which is the best Kernel?

It depends on what you want to improve. Battery life, performance etc. Popular ones include Fanco kernel (I prefer it, better for battery life) , Faux Kernel (for performance) etc.

What is a recovery?

In Android, recovery refers to the dedicated, bootable partition that has the recovery console installed. A combination of key presses,will boot your phone to recovery, where you can find tools to help repair/recover your installation as well as install official OS updates.Its main purpose is to delete all user data and files, or to perform system updates. When you tell your phone to do a factory reset, recovery is what boots up and erases the files and data. Besides the said functions the stock recovery does not offer much of any other usefullness to someone looking to modify their android device.

What is a custom recovery?

A Custom Recovery is a recovery developed to give much more functionality than the stock recovery. Useful for modding

What does a custom recovery do?

A custom recovery lets you perform several advanced operations on your Android device such as

•Wiping your phone’s data,cache, and Dalvik cache.
    •Make, restore and manage backups of your phone’s operating system and software.
    •Install a custom ROM(operating system) or application from a zip file to make specific modifications to your device.

What is sideloading?

It means installing applications without using the official Android Market.

If you know anything else that i have missed/want to add post a reply

All ideas are encouraged :good:

Also thanks to GedBlake, He has provided me with extra info. to put in this guide :good:

Hit the thanks button if i helped :cowboy:

Rgrds,
    Ged.
    I think you should put the "Battery 0% unknown problem" http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1838429

This isn't a common nexus 7 problem.. This thread is for general stuff about the nexus 7... anyways thanks for replying :good:

-----

-----

-----

Rgrds,
    Ged.