JUNE 2014:NEW GUIDE Easy Root Without PC + Unlock of LG L9 [No Fastboot] by CMahendra

Search This thread

KAIJER

Mar 31, 2013
LG Security error

Hello,
Guide was very easy thank you, Rooted and everything stays fine unless I try to flash the CWM. After reboot I'm getting 'security error' with the LG logo and I have to reinstall the KDZ. and this is the 4th time having the same issue. P765 with V20C.

I was using artur 182x's Kitkat build then had a brick. After flashing the KDZ this started.

Any help ?

Edit : I tried the play store version of Flashify.. And didn't even tried to flash the included CWMs cause I guessed its for p760s. I was trying with Artur's custom TWRP (flashed many times before) ..
still why getting this no idea.

Last edited:

Lamba92

Jun 14, 2013
Pescara
Its not even worth spending time on.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

104.png

Codeplex

Mar 10, 2013
Into the Wild.....

Lamba92

Jun 14, 2013
Pescara
use this guide may be it helps you http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2338816

and for unlocking bootloader there are many guides out there just google it you'll find many......

One link is http://www.softmazing.com/bootloader-unlocking-method-for-lg-optimus-l9/....

hope it helps you...

thank you for the concern, but those methods does not apply to L9s shipped after june 2013... They now have encrypted bootloader and none of those works. There is one way to decrypt it but I'm not in the mood to build something hardware to patch lacks and mistakes of the LG software team. I guess I'll just buy a new phone, a more open one.

spy007z

Oct 29, 2013
If all I need is a rooted phone. Can I stop after finished step 8 and forget about recovery?

ElevyNJ

Jun 3, 2011
I tried this guide on my Fiancee's LGP769 and got to the point where it reboots into the recovery console and I get a Security Error message.

It dosent work

Hi My P-760 is not rooted anyway ... This guide does not work at point were I install supersu..

At step 11 upon reboot it goes to the android guy with a red box popping out of his chest, would that mean the boot loader is still locked? Also i would prefer twrp over cwm can this also be achieved. I have a few TWRP versions for the 769 flashable.

reggiexp

not working :(
i reboot after lg backup.apk install su it say no su binairies found :( im on jellybean and bootloader is unlocked normaly :)
help i want custom rom (i messed up the phone with cm12 and got bootloop so restored the phone so without root and locked bootloader but it's lagging as hell so i want to reinstall root and custom rom but i can't find a easy root :( and the fastboot thing doesnt work :(
edit worked 2time :) lol

harproy

Nov 14, 2017
ext sd card usage

1. WARNING

• READ AND FOLLOW ALL STEPS CAREFULLY
    • This guide may have errors and may not work for some in various scenario. If you report them, I may try to explain or correct your steps.
    • Read properly and DON'T SEND PM, I will simply ignore PM and laugh on you.
    • Phone must have "UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER" or you may Unlock it with the help of another guide in second post below.
    • USE INFORMATION AT YOU OWN RISK.
    [*]==================================================

[*]STEP BY STEP NEW GUIDE to Easy Root Without PC + Unlock of LG L9 [No Fastboot] DIRECTLY ON PHONE

[*]Introduction

• This visual step by step two in one guide can ROOT (unlocked) LG L9 and FLASH RECOVERY without PC.
    • Useful for new LG L9 phone owners or someone who just unbricked phone by flashing stock kdz. Works on any stock rom.
    • ROOTING WAS NEVER A FUN LIKE THIS BEFORE. BYE BYE YOU BLOODY @#!@# FASTBOOT METHOD. SO NO DIFFICULT FASTBOOT DRIVER INSTALLATION. THIS AMAZING ROOTING METHOD DOES NOT NEED FASTBOOT METHOD AT ALL
    • 100% WORKING , TESTED ON MY PHONE AND THEN MADE GUIDE.
    • This is not my own discovery. But for newbies like me, I always have gathered all INFORMATION and FILES together and made this useful step by step guide. Experts can still stay away, than criticize.
    [*] Step 1) Preparations:-

• In Settings >>> Developer Options >>> Select check mark on for "USB Debugging Mode"
    • In Settings >>> Security >>> Select check mark on for "Unknown Resources"
    • Download this MAIN ROOTING zip file and extract/copy all files in the root folder of sdcard on phone. The list of files can be seen in this image.
    [*]
    attachment.php

[*]​
    [*]
    [*]Step 2) Install LGPwn.apk

[*]From file-manager, find and Install and Run "LGPwn.apk" which you will show first screen to select as "Root Me" as shown in following screen. Then you will see first time SuperSU asking for granting permission, select "Deny" yes "Deny" for first time. (In some cases this SuperUser permission box may not come, dont worry about that.)

[*]
    attachment.php

[*]​
    [*]
    [*] Step 3)

[*]Now you will see four instruction screens as follows, just bypass them by clicking "Next" like we always do. Its nothing special but information about its rooting process.

[*]
    attachment.php

[*]​
    [*]

[*]Step 4)

[*]Now you will see EULA License, you need to read and "Accept", now LGPwn will backup root information and will show next screen titled "Backup" but press "Restore" button in that screen as shown below.

[*]
    attachment.php

[*]​

[*]Step 5)

[*]Now you will see "Restore Location" screen, select "Internal Storage"
    [*]Then "Restore" screen where you click on "LGPwn" entry as shown below.

[*]
    attachment.php

[*]​
    [*]

[*]​
    [*]
    [*]Step 6)

[*]Then "Selection" Screen will come with dialogue box Cross Model, click "OK" and "Continue" as shown below.
    [*]Then another Warning dialogue box appears, click "Restore" and then press "Continue" on main page to go ahead.

[*]
    attachment.php

[*]​
    [*]

[*]Step 7)

[*]Now phone is almost rooted but still some more step to finish it fully.

[*]
    attachment.php

[*]​
    [*]

[*]Step 8) Install Super User.

[*]Now from file manager find , install and run "Super SU" app we copied before. ("eu.chainfire.supersu-1.apk")

[*]Now your phone is rooted fully. Close SuperSU app.

[*]
    attachment.php

[*]​
    [*]
    [*]Step 9) Install Recovery with Flashify

[*]Now from file manager find , install and run "Flashify" app we copied before. ("com.cgollner.flashify-1.apk")

[*]"Accept" the Disclaimer, "Grant" Superuser permission, and then click on "Choose a file" on Flash Recovery section box.

[*]
    attachment.php

[*]​
    [*]

[*]Step 10)

[*]Now Flashify will ask you for file-manager name to select Recovery file. Select "Flashify File Explorer" and press "Once".
    [*]Now File Explorer will show root area of Phone, here select "SDCARD" and then select file named "recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.4.5-p760.img" and confirm it by pressing "Yup!"
    [*]Note: You can choose any other compatible recovery like PhilzRecovery or TWRP.

[*]When Flashify successfully copies recovery in Recovery partition you should press "REBOOT NOW" to go in recovery mode.

[*]
    attachment.php

[*]​
    [*]
    [*]Step 11)

[*]When phone reboots you will see CWM 6.0.4.5 Recovery main screen. YOU ARE DONE!!! Enjoy

[*]
    attachment.php

[*]​
    [*]

[*]This is all CLICK AND GO kind of thing and everything went very smooth on my LG L9 P765 in single attempt like a charm and took less than 2 minutes.

[*]Hope it helps! As usual!

[*]==========================================
    [*]CREDITS: Thanks a lot to all the maker of...
    [*]1) LGPwn
    [*]2) Flashify
    [*]3) SuperSU
    [*]4) CWM
    [*]4) LG for making this phone
    [*]5) Youtube video which helped to document it.
    [*]6) Anyone who might be responsible. Please remind if I left anyone.
    [*]HIT THANKS IF YOU LIKE THE INFO-GUIDE
can i do root without sd card.please tell me.(bec i need my files back that are on internal sd)and if i cant tell me how to fix extsd card. I can move files from My extsd card to internal sd card. But when i reboot the file in extsd is still there and the same file is also present in internal sd. And i cant format my extsd. I tried for a plethra of times but to no avail. please help me i beg you

Last edited:
Reactions: kingchazz16

harproy

Nov 14, 2017
Link/s not working

can i do root without sd card.please tell me.(bec i need my files back that are on internal sd)and if i cant tell me how to fix extsd card. I can move files from My extsd card to internal sd card. But when i reboot the file in extsd is still there and the same file is also present in internal sd. And i cant format my extsd. I tried for a plethra of times but to no avail. please help me i beg you

Please please upload a working download link to download zip files.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING

• READ AND FOLLOW ALL STEPS CAREFULLY
    • This guide may have errors and may not work for some in various scenario. If you report them, I may try to explain or correct your steps.
    • Read properly and DON'T SEND PM, I will simply ignore PM and laugh on you.
    • Phone must have "UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER" or you may Unlock it with the help of another guide in second post below.
    • USE INFORMATION AT YOU OWN RISK.
    ==================================================

STEP BY STEP NEW GUIDE to Easy Root Without PC + Unlock of LG L9 [No Fastboot]
    DIRECTLY ON PHONE

Introduction

• This visual step by step two in one guide can ROOT (unlocked) LG L9 and FLASH RECOVERY without PC.
    • Useful for new LG L9 phone owners or someone who just unbricked phone by flashing stock kdz. Works on any stock rom.
    • ROOTING WAS NEVER A FUN LIKE THIS BEFORE. BYE BYE YOU BLOODY @#!@# FASTBOOT METHOD. SO NO DIFFICULT FASTBOOT DRIVER INSTALLATION. THIS AMAZING ROOTING METHOD DOES NOT NEED FASTBOOT METHOD AT ALL
    • 100% WORKING , TESTED ON MY PHONE AND THEN MADE GUIDE.
    • This is not my own discovery. But for newbies like me, I always have gathered all INFORMATION and FILES together and made this useful step by step guide. Experts can still stay away, than criticize.
    Step 1) Preparations:-

• In Settings >>> Developer Options >>> Select check mark on for "USB Debugging Mode"
    • Download this MAIN ROOTING zip file and extract/copy all files in the root folder of sdcard on phone. The list of files can be seen in this image.
    attachment.php

Step 2) Install LGPwn.apk

From file-manager, find and Install and Run "LGPwn.apk" which you will show first screen to select as "Root Me" as shown in following screen. Then you will see first time SuperSU asking for granting permission, select "Deny" yes "Deny" for first time. (In some cases this SuperUser permission box may not come, dont worry about that.)

attachment.php

Step 3)

Now you will see four instruction screens as follows, just bypass them by clicking "Next" like we always do. Its nothing special but information about its rooting process.

attachment.php

Step 4)

Now you will see EULA License, you need to read and "Accept", now LGPwn will backup root information and will show next screen titled "Backup" but press "Restore" button in that screen as shown below.

attachment.php

Step 5)

Now you will see "Restore Location" screen, select "Internal Storage"
    Then "Restore" screen where you click on "LGPwn" entry as shown below.

attachment.php

Step 6)

Then "Selection" Screen will come with dialogue box Cross Model, click "OK" and "Continue" as shown below.
    Then another Warning dialogue box appears, click "Restore" and then press "Continue" on main page to go ahead.

attachment.php

Step 7)

Now phone is almost rooted but still some more step to finish it fully.

attachment.php

Step 8) Install Super User.

Now from file manager find , install and run "Super SU" app we copied before. ("eu.chainfire.supersu-1.apk")

Now your phone is rooted fully. Close SuperSU app.

attachment.php

Step 9) Install Recovery with Flashify

Now from file manager find , install and run "Flashify" app we copied before. ("com.cgollner.flashify-1.apk")

"Accept" the Disclaimer, "Grant" Superuser permission, and then click on "Choose a file" on Flash Recovery section box.

attachment.php

Step 10)

Now Flashify will ask you for file-manager name to select Recovery file. Select "Flashify File Explorer" and press "Once".
    Now File Explorer will show root area of Phone, here select "SDCARD" and then select file named "recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.4.5-p760.img" and confirm it by pressing "Yup!"
    Note: You can choose any other compatible recovery like PhilzRecovery or TWRP.

When Flashify successfully copies recovery in Recovery partition you should press "REBOOT NOW" to go in recovery mode.

attachment.php

Step 11)

When phone reboots you will see CWM 6.0.4.5 Recovery main screen. YOU ARE DONE!!! Enjoy

attachment.php

This is all CLICK AND GO kind of thing and everything went very smooth on my LG L9 P765 in single attempt like a charm and took less than 2 minutes.

Hope it helps! As usual!

==========================================
    CREDITS: Thanks a lot to all the maker of...
    1) LGPwn
    2) Flashify
    3) SuperSU
    4) CWM
    4) LG for making this phone
    5) Youtube video which helped to document it.
    6) Anyone who might be responsible. Please remind if I left anyone.
    HIT THANKS IF YOU LIKE THE INFO-GUIDE
    Guide to Unlocked Bootloader (ULBL) of LG L9 P760/P765 and other variants.

Guide to Unlocked Bootloader (ULBL) of LG L9 P760/P765 and other variants.
    =============================================

Things to remember while proceeding.

• IMPORTANT: You must have P760/P765 with P760 V20B EUROPE OPEN rom flashed on it ....or OTHER UNLOCKABLE ROMS. @Gh0sT.RPG tried unlocking on P765 V20B, V20C & V20D all unsuccessful. But He unlocked on P65 V20A Indian in just few mins.
    ======================================================
    How to Unlock Bootloader and do
    Easy Rooting of L9 P760/765/P768

Step 1) Preparations:-

• Download and Install latest LG Driver on Computer (This is for ADB drivers).
    • Download and extract Android.zip on computer, preferably D drive. The folder "C:\Android" will be automatically created with all necessary files. (You can use D drive also in case of problems saving or running on C drive on Windows 8 or 8.1
    Step 2) ADB Mode Connection:-

Now connect phone to pc with USB cable and change USB Mode to "LG Software Mode". Now your windows will install drivers and in Device Manager you will see following ADB PORT entry "USB Modem Phone ADB Port" (or some other words with name ADB).

attachment.php

Step 3)

Now wait for 30 minutes if you want to unlock bootloader (IMPORTANT Read post) and then open "Command Prompt" and give following commands in windows command prompt.

C:\Users\Mahendra\>cd \android
    C:\Android>adb devices
    This should show the list of attached devices in ADB mode like shown below.

attachment.php

Step 4)

Now pass this command in "lower case" only because adb commands are case sensitive.

C:Android\>adb reboot oem-unlock
    Phone will restart in pre-fastboot mode.

AT THIS POINT, YOU WILL UNLOCK BOOTLOADER:

You will get two options and to select UNLOCK you need to press VOLUME UP key which will unlock the bootloader permanently and when you press VOLUME UP key your phone is UNLOCKED and phone will go in FastBoot mode.

(*Sorry no screenshot available of these two options. Second option is something else I don't remember now, but forget it.)
    Once unlocked this Unlock options screen will never show up in future.

Now you will see "Fast Boot mode" screen like shown below. But you don's have to do anything in Fastboot mode so just Remove USB cable. Remove battery and reinsert battery and you may start phone normally.

You are done! Your LG L9 is now with Unlocked Bootloader.

For more information you can visit my old Guide made for same purpose here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2221102

attachment.php
    That Flashify can flash any recovery.img file?

I tried Mobile Uncle Tool, it could not flash any recovery. So did try Flashify latest version and it worked.

Though I did not try TWRP but it flashed all CWM versions I tried. Thats why added four variations. One version without Touch. Technically it should flash any recovery, including Philz too.

I have LG L9 P760 on V20H firmware. Funny thing is i used LGPwn Tool about a year ago to root my device but did not do extra steps with SuperSU download and stuff just downloaded app installed it and run it, root is running just fine. But I cannot access my Recovery so I guessed that my bootloader is locked. But if it is locked how did LGPwn tool worked for me.
    When I run Recovery mode I get green droid with red ( ! ) over it so i thought it must be cuz bootloader is locked. But when I run your unlock method I just get standard reboot. I have all drives installed as well as full android SDK with Google drives installed that should cover Fastboot (right?). I did follow some tutorials here to install fastboot on my PC but I am not sure who to check if everything is installed tho.
    Now if I run 3845#*760# in phone dialer and check for bootloader lock it says that it is locked.
    What could be issue with this? Drivers on PC or something else on phone?
    Thank you for your work.

You tried LGPwn a year ago and obviously it was working for few modesl only. I tried this with latest LGPwn, which I guess is February/March 2014 version. With obvious reason it will not work on Locked bootloader. But you have P760 so you have change to unlock it but first flash old stock rom, as mentioned in 2nd post in this thread and also in my other old thread.
    Unlocking Bootloader was possible on only few versions of ICS/JB. Flash ICS V10D then unlock and then try this rooting and installing recovery. Should work. Once you have installed Recovery, you can do anything with this phone :)
    Now fastbook is history, not required at all. :D
    Press thanks button if you like this information. :)
    @cmahendra
    I see, I am very glad that fastboot is gone(kinda). Is there anyother way of flashing custom ROM on to L9 other then method you showed here. I used this method long ago when I got my phone in bad shape after trying to install CWM using Arthas installer. And could not get it working. I mean I can try it again, could not find anything about flashing new rom other then what you posted. As well I could not find V10D but I guess V20B EO can work?
    Thanks.
    Thanks
    Actually my OFFLINE FIX FLASHING method is easiest of all. Only problem with people is the SEQUENCE ERROR. I can still guide you if you post your problem in that thread. I thing I should make some changes in that thread by changing few words or lines where possibly a confusion arises. If interested post your query which step you find it difficult or error.
    I have managed to flash V20B Open Europe to my P760. (ROM is from this thread ) Could not find any other KDZ.
    Now I have restored my device to factory settings just as you said in other thread and this fixed all system apps that where broken.
    Following that I pluged it in and waited for half an hour. Then started cmd and entered all of the commands (adb devices detects my device and Device manager sees my phone as ADB Interface > AndroidNet Sooner Single ADB Interface.) Now I started adb reboot oem-unlock. And it restarted my device but just that it did not go to prefastboot menu or anything similar just regular reboot. I read your old thread on this and cannot find problem. :eek:
    I am asumming you have P760/P765 and its good sign that you did everything perfect until "oem-unlock" command.

That's strange to see its booting normally. That means you are not getting fastboot mode also, as shown in screenshot? Your BL seems still Locked but there could be some other issue with bootloader. Try with ICS rom. See if the link of ICS are or not. I forgot exactly which V10 version worked for unlocking bootloader. Read old thread carefully.
    Some other devs are claiming they can unlock bootloader with different method. Try that too.