GS4 -KitKat 4.4.2 - Official discussion thread here

Search This thread

Astragalus

Nov 6, 2013
New York
Hi all, I've been quite happy with my TouchWiz stock 4.3 sgh-m919 for a while now, but upon hearing that we'd finally be getting a bite of the Kit Kat, I felt a surge of nerdy excitement (that I'm sure I need not explain further.) However, I have also gleaned some kind of vague sense that this update is heavy on additional security tightening and the types of things that might make corporate blackberry carriers excited but to me connote things that are more in the realm of party poopin'. To sum: I'm trying to decide whether I might be better off skipping this update. Knox doesn't bother me - pretty sure my warranty is long dead anyway. But can anyone provide a reason that one might want to forgo this update? Anyone who took the ota and regrets it now? Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

cnewsgrp

Mar 22, 2008
I just bought a TMO S4 (m919) over ebay - I am selling my ATT S4 (i337). Quick question
- Is bootloader locked for TMO - meaning we cannot install custom recoveries / cannot root and downgrade will brick? I did read and get the sense that it is not but want to be sure

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
I just bought a TMO S4 (m919) over ebay - I am selling my ATT S4 (i337). Quick question
- Is bootloader locked for TMO - meaning we cannot install custom recoveries / cannot root and downgrade will brick? I did read and get the sense that it is not but want to be sure

You can flash recoveries, root, and you can downgrade but not with Odin if you have the 4.3 or 4.4.2 bootloader

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Reactions: cnewsgrp

Nate2

Dec 11, 2010
Me too. I keep losing the data signal and it comes back on its own after a while.

I'm still on 4.3 and I started having this problem fairly recently (after 4.4 was released) too. I switch to WiFi and turn off WiFi to get back my data signal.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: viskon

viskon

May 4, 2011
I'm still on 4.3 and I started having this problem fairly recently (after 4.4 was released) too. I switch to WiFi and turn off WiFi to get back my data signal.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

What I'm finding is that it also appears to be a problem on my provider's end (I'm using it in India). I requested an updated APN from my provider and installed it. Seems to have resolved the issue to a great extent.

erlis.vidal

Apr 14, 2014
Anyone else losing signal since updating? My phone will randomly lose signal and not come back until I restart my phone. I never had that problem until I updated to kitkat

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

I have exactly the same problem, after upgrade to 4.4.2 this is happening. Big issue because I never know if I have phone or not. Reboot is the only temporary solution. Have you tried with CM ??

ubizmo

May 21, 2012
Philadelphia
I have this sort of problem especially when on Wi-Fi when the Wi-Fi signal is weak, even though the mobile network reception is good. Data fails on the weak Wi-Fi signal but won't switch to mobile network, even though I have that option selected.

Sent via Tapatalk

culua

Feb 7, 2011
SD
I just updated kit kat and I can't seem to directly save data or files onto my micros card. It only works internal drive not external.

I just updated kit kat and I can't seem to directly save data or files onto my micros card. It only works internal drive not external.

Try to back up all the data to desktop and then format the card. Sometimes it gets finicky when you switch android versions.

culua

Feb 7, 2011
SD

Thanks it works. It fix the problem.

pfftdives

Mar 16, 2013
Disabling sns will shut off facebook login msgs but not picasa sync. Go into settings/accounts/google and into each account you bave set up and disable picasa sync.

sud_ran

Jul 10, 2010
India
Samsung Galaxy S21+
Wrong place.. wrong question!!

Hi all, I've been quite happy with my TouchWiz stock 4.3 sgh-m919 for a while now, but upon hearing that we'd finally be getting a bite of the Kit Kat, I felt a surge of nerdy excitement (that I'm sure I need not explain further.) However, I have also gleaned some kind of vague sense that this update is heavy on additional security tightening and the types of things that might make corporate blackberry carriers excited but to me connote things that are more in the realm of party poopin'. To sum: I'm trying to decide whether I might be better off skipping this update. Knox doesn't bother me - pretty sure my warranty is long dead anyway. But can anyone provide a reason that one might want to forgo this update? Anyone who took the ota and regrets it now? Thanks!

Wrong place and a wrong question dude..
Being on XDA you shouldn't be thinking twice to root and install a custom rom.
You dont have to put up with samsung's crap apps and super heavy ui.. (so iphone'ish)

Give up and root to enjoy the 4.4.2 update on custom roms.. You will enjoy the phone only then.. S4 Hardware is a beast.. its the touchwiz screwing it up..

All the best

ispot

May 12, 2013
Potomac, MD
ihadna.com
T-Mobile Official KK 4.4.2

Sam Mobile is showing an official T-Mobile USA KK 4.4.2 for the SGH-M919. I am still on 4.2.2 on one of my TM S4, so, if I update it to 4.4.2, would I have a problem with Knox?

Top Liked Posts