HOW TO: Root Optimus V (Virgin Mobile)

Search This thread

sd_matto

Jun 27, 2006
Would love to see your new ROM have BT DUN (and, optionally, BT PAN) functionality added to the ROM. Would make the phone a very competitive, lower-power-consumer alternative to MyWi On Demand (for jailbroken iOS), at cheaper unlimited data rates.

sublimewulf

May 31, 2010
What is the advantage to Bluetooth DUN over wifi tether? Bluetooth transfer rates are abysmal to say the least...

sd_matto

Jun 27, 2006
What is the advantage to Bluetooth DUN over wifi tether? Bluetooth transfer rates are abysmal to say the least...

Redundancy (i.e., additional means of tethering, in case VM closes/taxes WiFi loophole), non-NAT'edness, and lower power consumption are probably the key advantages.

BT DUN transfer rates are not that much worse than WiFi. Especially at EVDO Rev A speeds. See, for example, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=371895. For LTE/WiMAX (4G), probably a different story.

There are a couple of key advantages that I see to BT DUN over WiFi:
1. (The BIGGEST, by FAR) Power consumption - a LOT less power consumed using BT DUN.
2. Non-NAT'ed connection (DUN gives you direct public IP, which should reduce problems associated with NAT'ed connections and some online games/applications; WiFi gives you NAT'ed connection). This advantage would disappear with a purely BT PAN solution.

Other than that, pretty equivalent. Number of potential connections is large by either method.

Hopefully, the above gives you motivation to kick this into your android ROM. Would love to see that additional BT functionality

badboi_zero

Jan 24, 2011
I haven't tried you custom ROM because it's a pre-alpha. Otherwise, I have used the deodexed one using your instructions without falter.
FYI, the stock, optimized ROM here has yielded faster Linpack results (as high as 9 mflops) over the RodimusROM by mmmark111. I'm looking forward to how your Subliminal ROM will fare to it.

bob50963

Jun 30, 2009
Las vegas
Can anyone edit the file in charge of limiting the phones down and upload speed? I think my phone has been getting a download speed limit. I use to get around 1000kbs now I can barely get past 150. Anyways I hope there is more development coming in the future for this awesome phone. You can't really beat $25 a month and the service is 100x better than crappy cricket. I can't even drive around town on cricket with out it loosing signal.

dingnecros

Apr 1, 2008
I flashed the rooted and optimized stock rom but it does not seem to be rooted all application that need root access seem to hang up asking for super user

sublimewulf

May 31, 2010
Can anyone edit the file in charge of limiting the phones down and upload speed? I think my phone has been getting a download speed limit. I use to get around 1000kbs now I can barely get past 150. Anyways I hope there is more development coming in the future for this awesome phone. You can't really beat $25 a month and the service is 100x better than crappy cricket. I can't even drive around town on cricket with out it loosing signal.

There is no file that limits upload and download, That would be on the tower side. Sprint has it written in that they can throttle data as much as they'd like.

dingnecros

Apr 1, 2008
I finally solved my root problem... I flashed the rom again but had the same problem where all apps requiring root acess were just stuck at the super user permission screen. I installed the superuser app by ChainsDD in the marketplace (free version). I launched it and it said that it needs to update the su binary. As soon as I did that the original super user app that came with the rom now warned me that application is trying to launch sh as root:root and if I want to allow it - I said yes and now everything requring root acess is working but all su permissions are now handled by the new superuser app.

I am not sure if this is the right way to solve the problem or if I was doing something wrong with the previous application but it is solved and I just thought of sharing how I was able to get it working. The tether app and TiBackup work great

sd_matto

Jun 27, 2006
Two more suggestions for your ROM

I love what it has going on so far. A couple of suggestions for future add-ons:

1. Enable moving the dalvik cache from the /data folder to the /cache folder. Reason: Free up memory in /data, and allow for installation of more apps from market (and more working memory). See http://forum.sdx-developers.com/sam...-cache-to-cache-(save-memory-for-more-apps!)/ (for reason for idea).

2. As an additional tethering functionality (consistent with my request above for BT DUN), consider adding wi-fi adhoc functionality (as was done for the nookcolor (see this forum), and its source (see http://szym.net/2010/12/adhoc-wifi-in-android/)).

Thanks again.

greysonbotts

Feb 6, 2010
ok... i may have screwed myself...
i can only boot into recovery
i have tried a stock nandroid recovery... no change
this started when i accidentally clicked "start update" (i think) in phone properties
it rebooted into recovery and said "updating"... tried to reboot and it went back into recovery
i'm kinda new to this but i can follow directions (obviously because i rooted and romed my phone with instructions in this thread)
please help!
anything i can try?
anything i missed?

thanks in advance

sublimewulf

May 31, 2010
ok... i may have screwed myself...
i can only boot into recovery
i have tried a stock nandroid recovery... no change
this started when i accidentally clicked "start update" (i think) in phone properties
it rebooted into recovery and said "updating"... tried to reboot and it went back into recovery
i'm kinda new to this but i can follow directions (obviously because i rooted and romed my phone with instructions in this thread)
please help!
anything i can try?
anything i missed?

thanks in advance

Do you have a skype or some kind of chat? I can walk you through possible ways of recovering.

greysonbotts

Feb 6, 2010
i already exchanged the phone at target but thanks for responding
i couldn't live without a phone...
i would be interested to hear your ideas actually just because i'm curious

jmel

Jun 13, 2006
This is a great thread, thanks for your work! I dropped my crappy sprint intrepid and came over to virgin mobile for this phone and the goodies. Looking forward to more good stuff.

Cheers!

jhr5474

Sep 20, 2010
Holley, Oregon
Ok

So I was rooted with your method and all the sudden the phone just shut off, went to recovery and wont do anything but recovery. I tried flashing your rom and it wont boot it goes directly to recovery again when I try to reboot. Is there a way to reflash the recovery via recovery or something? I am stuck in recovery!!!!!!!!!
I even tried a few other roms.

dingnecros

Apr 1, 2008
I flashed the CM7 rom it works sooo much smoother than the stock rom. Plus the added features are great. Most stuff works and OP already mentions that Wifi is not working. Some additional things that did not work out for me were

- Auto rotation of screen
- Screen brightness level controls
- Frequent crashes of the navigation app
- Inability for the navigation app to declare directions when Pandora was running
- For some reason I was prompted to slide open the physical keyboard a couple of times

The non working navigation features were the deal breaker for me but other than that the overall feel of the CM7 is soo much better than the stock rom. Everything feels more fluid even web acess seemed faster. Currently I flashed back my rooted nandroid backup of the stock rom

Reactions: sublimewulf

sublimewulf

May 31, 2010
I flashed the CM7 rom it works sooo much smoother than the stock rom. Plus the added features are great. Most stuff works and OP already mentions that Wifi is not working. Some additional things that did not work out for me were

The non working navigation features were the deal breaker for me but other than that the overall feel of the CM7 is soo much better than the stock rom. Everything feels more fluid even web acess seemed faster. Currently I flashed back my rooted nandroid backup of the stock rom

The navigation app can be fixed by pulling it and re-installing via market. I will be working on the bugs as soon as I get the opportunity though. I appreciate the input! It's nice to have feedback!

Last edited:

jessebwallace

May 30, 2010
So I was rooted with your method and all the sudden the phone just shut off, went to recovery and wont do anything but recovery. I tried flashing your rom and it wont boot it goes directly to recovery again when I try to reboot. Is there a way to reflash the recovery via recovery or something? I am stuck in recovery!!!!!!!!!
I even tried a few other roms.

Did you ever get this fixed?
I'm curious if you did - I want to root tonight, but want to know how to fix problems that may arise.

drellisdee

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 22, 2008
East Coast
As the creator of the recovery.img I must say I'm not very thrilled about this being posted in this manner with absolutely no credit being given to me. Posts like these are going to make me stop doing recoveries period. I made recovery.img's for the entire optimus lineup (Vortex, Opt S, Opt M, Opt P500, Opt P509, Opt V) and do not have any of these phones myself. My total amount of donations for all this work is > $50 and well over 25,000 downloads as many users don't know to whom to credit and thank or ones who wish to donate have no idea where to donate to.

Anyways here is the proper recovery designed for the Optimus V (released on 2/06/11) so you can stop using the Optimus S one. Please also replace download links with one below.

Optimus-V recovery.img

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING! I AM NOT LIABLE IF YOU EFF UP YOUR PHONE, YOU ARE ACCEPTING THE RISK BY CONTINUING!

Tutorial

Requirements:
    Windows PC
    ADB installed and working

Download The Following
    http://www.mediafire.com/?fcjnvrmae6ccm9k flash_image.zip
    http://www.multiupload.com/YLP39EICOP recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img.zip
    http://www.multiupload.com/WGF93RR90X SuperOneClick
    http://www.multiupload.com/7KCGPF6RBF Virgin Drivers
    http://www.multiupload.com/SL4MFB928T Stock Rom Rooted and De Odexed minus Bloat

1. Extract the Drivers Zip to a folder on the desktop
    Click on the installation file and install the Optimus drivers

2. On your phone (must be activated), Go to settings, then to Applications, then Development and enable USB debugging.

3. Unzip Super One Click to the same folder and run it. Click shell root.

4. Unzip the flash_image.zip and recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img.zip to the root of your phone's SD Card. Also Place Stock Rooted and Optimized.zip at the root (KEEP IN ZIP).

5. a. Open CMD.exe and navigate to the folder adb.exe exists in.
    b. Type:

adb shell
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
    cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
    chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
    mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
    mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img
    reboot recovery

Your phone will now reboot into the custom recovery

6. Go to "Backup" (navigate with volume rocker and click with Home) , and click "backup nand" .

7. When It is finished, click back until you are at the main menu again. Click Flash zip from sdcard and flash Stock Rooted and Optimized.zip

8. IMPORTANT, return to main menu, navigate to Wipe. Click Wipe data/factory reset.
    ONLY WIPE/FACTORY RESET IN RECOVERY. DO NOT USE THE PHONE WIPE
    Note: Re-flash required as I could not maintain root after reboot.

Button Combo for recovery is Home+Down Vol.+Power. Hold these until recovery loads.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask below! I will try and read them all.
    As the creator of the recovery.img I must say I'm not very thrilled about this being posted in this manner with absolutely no credit being given to me. Posts like these are going to make me stop doing recoveries period. I made recovery.img's for the entire optimus lineup (Vortex, Opt S, Opt M, Opt P500, Opt P509, Opt V) and do not have any of these phones myself. My total amount of donations for all this work is > $50 and well over 25,000 downloads as many users don't know to whom to credit and thank or ones who wish to donate have no idea where to donate to.

Anyways here is the proper recovery designed for the Optimus V (released on 2/06/11) so you can stop using the Optimus S one. Please also replace download links with one below.

Optimus-V recovery.img
    ROMs

ROMS

Stock deodexed with crapware removed:
    http://www.multiupload.com/SL4MFB928T
    A lot of these guides are outdated and the OPs haven't bothered to update them. From my most recent experience. Here's the easiest way (no commands to type and mess up):

1. To root, install Gingerbreak.apk (follow the simple directions, works on Froyo Stock ROM too)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1044765

2. Once rooted, download ROM manager from app market.

3. In ROM Manager choose to flash the clockworkmod recovery (works well for IHO/BACKside CM7.1 Gingerbread 2.3.4 ROM, recommended). Or xionia Recovery for Harmonia Froyo 2.2 ROM.

4. Go find your ROM .zip file (and gapps.zip for CM7.1) and put it in the /sdcard folder using a file manager.

5. Power off, then hold vol-down, home, & power button until LG logo pops up. This boots into the clockworkmod recovery.

BACKUP YOUR ORIGINAL ROM in recovery mode.

6. From there wipe cache, dalvik-cache, reset data, format all except /sdcard. Then flash the ROM of your choice (& gapps.zip if moving to a CM7.1 ROM)

REMOVED

Maybe instead of complaining and moaning about it, you could PM me and I'd add it to the OP. But if you are going to be like that I'll make my own damn recovery img. Time and place man. Think before you act. If this is how you react to people on a normal basis, thats the reason no one donates to your "fund". I'm not profiting at all from this. The only link I have is to a fricken cancer foundation. I'm sorry for being a selfish bastard.