How-to- Root, Hack, and Flashing your G1/Dream Read first!!

Search This thread

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
did you flash the dreaming.nbh? you need to be on firmware 1.0

you can have telnet already downloaded from market

be on the home screen, open keyboard, hit <enter> twice
then type <telned>
then close keyboard
press home button
open telnet
click ok (or whatever it says)
when your in what looks like a terminal
type:
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
then you will have a pause and ## pops up
now power off and boot into recovery

if these steps dont work you are adding/skipping something

SwannyBhoy

Jan 25, 2012
Can't use telnetd

I can't seem to get the telnetd bit to work and because this is so old I can't get on the market!

Any ideas?

Edit: Yes I made a noob move.. after posting this I looked at the phone and realized there was no signal! Everything worked without a charm... Thanks for this!

Last edited:

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
android 1.0 and a market, the only reason you couldnt connect is if you have no data/wifi or your not signed on to a google account.
maybe list the steps of what you have done and where you are now

Reactions: SwannyBhoy

SwannyBhoy

Jan 25, 2012
Which modified version should I use? I have UK T-mobile G1

ADP1.1, RC33, RC8 Or any one?

I am going to install a custom rom anyway?

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
you may have better luck (not need to make a gold card) with the rc7
but i have always used rc29 (im in us of course)
if you do need to make a goldcard it isnt to hard and no matter where you
start you'll end up in the same place - follow the guide here and you'll be fine
other wise i choose this guide personally
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/HTC_Dream:_Rooting
but what ever works for you

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
go to the cyanogen wiki i linked you to, everything you need is there and is more updated than this guide (2008 for this guide?)
so first step is the dreaming.nbh
next step is to flash recovery.img
then radio .02 or .26i (dosent matter because you will change this if you want newer roms later)
then dangerspl (.2005) (.2003 is used often now but either way)
then rom (and gapps if necessary)

all of this is explained well in the guide i linked
but if you want any of the newest and well mostly better roms you will need to update further
you will need the .08 or .25 radio (.25 works better for me but .08 may be better for you)
and the .13d spl
all of this will be found here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=831139
follow the cyanogen guide, try a rom (maybe cm5)
then when your ready move on to the next guide and try newer roms

Reactions: SwannyBhoy

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
great, its a nice rom so play with it a while if you decide you want more check out the other thread i sent and if you need help feel free to ask

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium

tauqeer512

Mar 15, 2011
Abu Dhabi
Why should you root your Dream/G1?

Well, hopefully one of those reasons convinced you to get root access on your phone!

Preparing to Get Root on your Phone
Getting root on your phone involves exploiting a security hole that existed in an early version of Android. The versions with the security holes are known as RC19, RC28, and RC29 (or RC7 or lower for UK phones). As of RC30 (RC8 on UK), Google patched the security hole so that your phone can not be rooted (don't worry, we can still root it!).
To check your version, go to the Home Screen, click your menu button, choose "Settings", and then click "About phone". You will then see the following screen:
RC30.png

If you have US-RC30/UK-RC8 or higher, you will first need to downgrade your phone to a previous version. (Skip these steps otherwise)
  1. Format your phone's SD card to FAT32 mode:
    • Hook your phone up to your computer using a USB cable and then wait for the notification to show up in your title bar of your phone.
    • Click the notification, and then click "Mount".
    • A new removable disk should show up on your computer. Right click it and select Format, and select FAT32 as the file system type.
  2. Download and unzip the RC29 or RC7 image file. Copy the DREAIMG.nbh file to the SD card. (RC29 for US, RC7 is for UK)
  3. Turn the device power off.
  4. Hold Camera button, and press Power button to entry boot loader mode. You should see a gray/white screen with instructions to flash your phone with the update on your SD card. If you don't see that, make sure you followed the instructions properly.
  5. As per the on-screen instructions, press the Power button to start upgrade procedure. DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO INTERRUPT THIS PROCESS.
  6. After it is finished, perform the restart your phone.

Rooting your RC29 or lower phone:
On RC29 phones and lower, anything you type into your keyboard is also being run in a hidden console with root permissions. More information regarding that at the bottom of this post. But, to get root access, do the following:

Instructions:
  1. Download recovery.img or the new version by Amon recovery-RA-dream-v1.5.2.img and copy it to your SD card (see the previous instructions on how to copy from your computer to your Phone's SD card).
  2. Download the Hard SPL and copy the zip file to the SD card.
  3. All files must be on the root of your SD card.
  4. Restart your phone. Wait for your phone to start up fully and show the home screen.
  5. After your phone starts up, hit the enter key twice, type "telnetd" and press enter. (Yes, it will start up a contact search, don't worry. Just type it.)
  6. Download an Android "Telnet" application from the Market and connect to localhost.
  7. If you connect successfully, you will have a root prompt "#".
  8. Type the following into Telnet (these commands will give you root access easier in the future):
    • mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    • cd sdcard
    • flash_image recovery recovery.img
    • cat recovery.img > /system/recovery.img
Now you have root!

What To Do Now That You Have Root
Now that you have root, you will want to apply "Hard SPL" to your phone. HardSPL is what will allow you to apply flash images from other regions (like UK on US phones, and vice versa), create full backups of your phone, install the latest build from the Android source, and usually resurrect your phone if it is "bricked". You have already downloaded the file to your SD card, so now you can apply it.

1. Power off your phone.
  2. Start up in recovery mode by holding home and pressing power.
  3. You will now enter recovery mode. You should see an exclamation.
  4. If you do not see a menu on screen, press Alt-L to show the menu.
  5. Press Alt-S to apply the update from the SD card.
  6. After the update is complete, hold Home and press Back to restart.

And now, the last step! You are still running an old version of Android, but you want to upgrade to the latest and greatest update! You can do this, and not lose root by downloading modified versions of the updates.

First, choose a modified image from the list below:

ADP1.1: (md5: bacc58302e0b239d66c7bcc8db6c434b)
http://jf.odiness.com/v1.41/JFv1.41_ADP1.1_BuildEnvironment.tar.gz
http://android-dls.com/forum/index.php?f=24&t=241&rb_v=viewtopic
http://andblogs.net/2009/01/jesusfrekes-14-images-are-out/

RC33: (md5: f24b6c237775147cb4bc42efc2393973)
http://jf.odiness.com/v1.41/JFv1.41_RC33_BuildEnvironment.tar.gz
http://andblogs.net/2009/02/new-rc33-based-images-from-jesusfreke/

RC8: (md5: de2d0d34adbb4015ee3aa5e4e7ca3c07)
http://jf.odiness.com/v1.41/JFv1.41_RC8_BuildEnvironment.tar.gz
http://andblogs.net/2009/01/jesusfrekes-14-images-are-out/

1. Download the image.
  2. Rename it to update.zip.
  3. Copy it to your phone's SD card.
  4. Turn your phone off.
  5. Start up in recovery mode by holding Home and pressing Power.
  6. Press alt-W to wipe your device. (You need to do this, or the device may hang at the flashing Android screen)
  7. Press alt-S to apply the update.

And that's it! Remember to check the links up top to learn how to use root to do the advanced things I mentioned.
hello sir I update my g1 radio and restart now stuck at g1 logo and not going in recovery by pressing home+power and not going bootloader by pressing camera+power plz help thanx

pl4sMa

Apr 18, 2010
hello sir I update my g1 radio and restart now stuck at g1 logo and not going in recovery by pressing home+power and not going bootloader by pressing camera+power plz help thanx

No recovery and bootloader means you have a brick.

Only jtag or mobo replacement is the solution to that. At this point in time, I think it is cheaper and simpler to grab another phone.

splatoid

Mar 13, 2011
Vancouver
HI There I just got the HTC G1 and my Build Version is DMD64 I dont see that anywhere. This phone is a newer phone. Im going to use it for work but want to clean it up first so I'm planning on Root and Recovery.Im not sure about putting on a custom Rom yet. Will any of this work for me. Thanks I can usually figure this out but as this phone has been round for so long i run into a lot of dead links.

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
HI There I just got the HTC G1 and my Build Version is DMD64 I dont see that anywhere. This phone is a newer phone. Im going to use it for work but want to clean it up first so I'm planning on Root and Recovery.Im not sure about putting on a custom Rom yet. Will any of this work for me. Thanks I can usually figure this out but as this phone has been round for so long i run into a lot of dead links.

best to just go all the way to a custom rom as there are so many faster with more features than stock on these old phones. google search "cyanogen wiki g1 root" you will find all the info there, with up to date links, how to downgrade, root, install custom recovery, upgrade radio and hboot, then flash a custom rom. follow everything to running cm5, after this you will have to do more steps to get the latest and greatest but all this needs to be done first.
if you get stuck search a bit, if you still confused start a new thread in the q&a and many will come and help
good luck!

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium

jokersall

Sep 12, 2009
fargo
So I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse here but funny story. We bought a new couch and while we were disposing of the old I found the t-mobile g1 inside. Not sure if I bought it and lost it or if it was just in there because we also found a pouch of dip from ages ago. Anyways on with the beating of a dead horse. I've gotten a new firmware installed but just can't seem to get the root. I've tried a few different links on here and they're all dead. So is cyanogen mods wiki links. Does anyone happen to have the needed files lurking on an old computer somewhere?

LucidREM

Jan 18, 2009
Baltimore
www.lucidrem.us
So I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse here but funny story. We bought a new couch and while we were disposing of the old I found the t-mobile g1 inside. Not sure if I bought it and lost it or if it was just in there because we also found a pouch of dip from ages ago. Anyways on with the beating of a dead horse. I've gotten a new firmware installed but just can't seem to get the root. I've tried a few different links on here and they're all dead. So is cyanogen mods wiki links. Does anyone happen to have the needed files lurking on an old computer somewhere?

i probably have files around somewhere .. still have my G1 but have not picked it up for some time

Top Liked Posts