[DIY-TUT/HOW-TO] Debloat and Save Battery

Search This thread

The-Droidster

May 27, 2012
XDA 24 x 7
Note: This is not a ready made script that will do things for you. If you are looking for a script/tool to debloat your phone head here. This is a very basic guide, many of you might be aware how to do it already. This is for the absolute newbies like me:D who like learn by doing it themselves;). So lets start!

First, What is Debloat? What are the benefits?

Ans: A new device (except the nexus family) always comes pre-loaded with a lot of manufacturer apps. Most of the times these apps are utterly useless to the end-user considering that there are better alternatives available on the play store. Such apps constitute the phone bloatware. Often these apps are part of the system partition on your phone ie they are system apps and cannot be uninstalled or removed like normal apps. The process of removing these apps is called as debloating!. Savvy?
Fine, Moving ahead. Whats more problematic about these apps is that many of these apps load at system start-up and keep running in the background using precious cpu and other resources apart from eating up memory. This often leads to poor performance and battery life. So once you get rid of these apps you will start experiencing better performance AND AN AWESOME BATTERY LIFE(personal experience;))

Wow, I want to get rid of those stubborn apps...show me how to do it.
Sure

PRE-REQUISITES:
1. You should be rooted
2. Your phone should have the ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery installed.
3. You should have adb up and running
4. Turn on usb debugging.
SC20120805_144808.png

OPTIONAL:
1. You may want to create a Nandroid Backup through CWM before doing any of the steps listed below.
2. Install abdb insecure by chainfire to run adb commands as root(insecure boot image). This will allow you to boot in to recovery through adb. Once installed the app should look like this
SC20120805_144747.png

The PROCESS:

1. Ensure that the pre-requisites are met.

2. Connect the phone to the computer through the USB cable

3. To check whether you have properly installed adb do this
Open a command prompt window (start>run>cmd) and type this
Code:
adb devices
If adb is set up and running it should list your device in the list of attached devices some thing like this
Code:
 List of devices attached
     42801c7449ff097 device

4. Now use the following command to make a backup copy of all the system apps on your phone
Code:
 adb pull /system/apps C:\* destination of your choice *
This will ensure that you can install back any app that you remove using this process and also it serves as a reference to the list of system apps. Look at the apps and make a list of apps that you want to get rid off. This (thanx to winwiz for compiling it)might help you to decide which one's are important and which are not, which one's can safely be gotten rid of and which should not be touched. Play carefully. Here is a list of apps that I have safely removed with great benefits to boot-up time, battery and overall performance.
Dlna.apk

Dlna.odex

BuddiesNow.apk

BuddiesNow.odex

Days.apk

Days.odex

Email.apk

Email.odex

EmailWidget.apk

EmailWidget.odex

GameHub.apk

KiesAir.apk

kieswifi.apk

kieswifi.odex

Kobo.apk

MusicHub_N1.apk

MusicHub_U1.apk

PressReader.apk

ReadersHub.apk

ReadersHub.odex

SamsungApps.apk

SamsungAppsUNA3.apk

SamsungIM.apk

SamsungWidget_News.apk

SamsungWidget_News.odex

SamsungWidget_StockClock.apk

SamsungWidget_StockClock.odex

SevenEngine.apk

SnsAccountFb.apk

SnsAccountFb.odex

SnsAccountLi.odex

SnsAccountTw.odex

SnsAccountLi.apk

SnsAccountTw.apk

SnsDisclaimer.apk

SnsDisclaimer.odex

SnsImageCache.apk

SnsImageCache.odex

SnsProvider.apk

SnsProvider.odex

SocialHub.apk

SocialHub.odex

Zinio.apk

You may want to add/remove apps to/from this list.

5. Moving on, Once you have decided the apps to remove reboot into CWM recovery. Use this command to do that through adb.
Code:
adb reboot recovery
Note: You must have an insecure boot image for this to work (See point number 2 in optional points)
else
use any of the common methods to boot into recovery. Use key presses or CWM Manager or do whatever, just get in to that ******g recovery.:mad::D

6. Next, Once you are into the recovery type this command in the command prompt
Code:
adb shell
This will get you into the linux shell on your android device so that you can use all the linux shell commands like in a regular linux shell;)

7. You must now see a # or $ at the prompt (doesn't make a difference) indicating that now you are into the linux shell. Type the following command in the prompt.
Code:
mount /system
This will load the system partition into memory so that you can play around with its contents.

8. Now to the most important step. Removing the apps. Use the following command in the prompt
Code:
rm /system/app/****.apk

or

Code:
rm /system/app/****.odex

Replace **** with the name of the apk or odex file that you want to remove.:rolleyes:

Repeat the command for all the files that you want to get rid off.
Note: Remember to press enter after each command:p

9. Once you have finished removing all the bloatware just type
Code:
 exit
in the prompt. Thats it.
Reboot! (You may use
Code:
adb reboot
for that purpose).
You will now be greeted with a faster performing, responsive, battery conserving and most importantly a bloatware free phone.:):good:

10. Thank me if this helped and don't hesitate to ask questions.:p;)

As a supplementary note I would like to recommend this app [Requires Root]. Once installed use its corpse finder feature to eliminate all the left over files belonging to the bloatware apps that we just removed. It is as easy as Search and Clean. This will free up more space in your system partition.

Troubleshooting:
Q. I removed Kies Air using the method above but it is still present in the app drawer. What to do?

Ans: This happens if you have updated Kies Air through the play store.
Go to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications
Scroll down to Kies Air --> Select it ---> Uninstall updates
Reboot!. Thats it. Kies Air is gone for good.:p

A Very Important Note:
I haven't tried it on a Non-Rooted phone. But I think it should work as far as you have adb working and can boot into the recovery(Stock recovery in case of Non- Rooted phones) by some means you are good to go from step number 6.. Have a list of apps to be removed before hand, speeds up the process.;)

Battery Saving Tips:
Coming Soon.....!

Last edited:

mj.vikram

Mar 2, 2012
XDA 24 X 7
I'm aware of that buddy. I have even mentioned it in my post.:good: As I said this method is for people who would like to understand whats happening behind the scenes...rather than just flashing a script package.:)

Thanks for taking time and writing this :good:....

Nice guide and just one more alternative for user's if you feel this is difficult process for you, using Root explorer or similar app's got to /system/apps/ and delete the required file's (as mentioned by The-Droidster in the above) and restart the mobile...

Last edited:

gitanshu

Mar 9, 2012
Los Angeles
What if I just go to my system folder through a root explorer and delete these files in /system/app and then reboot my phone? And then use that corpse finder?

ICS = I SEE ASS :p Lol
++##» GALAXY R «##++

mj.vikram

Mar 2, 2012
XDA 24 X 7
What if I just go to my system folder through a root explorer and delete these files in /system/app and then reboot my phone? And then use that corpse finder?

its same buddy, both are same :cowboy: but this for the people who want to learn how to use ADB they can use this because this very well explained :good: ....

Last edited:
Reactions: gitanshu

The-Droidster

May 27, 2012
XDA 24 x 7

++##» GALAXY R «##++

I don't see any problem in doing that....but you may experience force closes if you do this when the system is online because the apps that you are removing are still running in the background. So it is better if you do it by mounting the system through recovery.:)

Reactions: gitanshu

Adam77Root

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 3, 2012
+1 for using Adbd insecure. It's a great debugging tool on stock roms.

Sent from my GT-I9103

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note: This is not a ready made script that will do things for you. If you are looking for a script/tool to debloat your phone head here. This is a very basic guide, many of you might be aware how to do it already. This is for the absolute newbies like me:D who like learn by doing it themselves;). So lets start!

First, What is Debloat? What are the benefits?

Ans: A new device (except the nexus family) always comes pre-loaded with a lot of manufacturer apps. Most of the times these apps are utterly useless to the end-user considering that there are better alternatives available on the play store. Such apps constitute the phone bloatware. Often these apps are part of the system partition on your phone ie they are system apps and cannot be uninstalled or removed like normal apps. The process of removing these apps is called as debloating!. Savvy?
    Fine, Moving ahead. Whats more problematic about these apps is that many of these apps load at system start-up and keep running in the background using precious cpu and other resources apart from eating up memory. This often leads to poor performance and battery life. So once you get rid of these apps you will start experiencing better performance AND AN AWESOME BATTERY LIFE(personal experience;))

Wow, I want to get rid of those stubborn apps...show me how to do it.
    Sure

PRE-REQUISITES:
    1. You should be rooted
    2. Your phone should have the ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery installed.
    3. You should have adb up and running
    4. Turn on usb debugging.
    SC20120805_144808.png

OPTIONAL:
    1. You may want to create a Nandroid Backup through CWM before doing any of the steps listed below.
    2. Install abdb insecure by chainfire to run adb commands as root(insecure boot image). This will allow you to boot in to recovery through adb. Once installed the app should look like this
    SC20120805_144747.png

The PROCESS:

1. Ensure that the pre-requisites are met.

2. Connect the phone to the computer through the USB cable

3. To check whether you have properly installed adb do this
    Open a command prompt window (start>run>cmd) and type this
    Code:
    adb devices
    If adb is set up and running it should list your device in the list of attached devices some thing like this
    Code:
     List of devices attached
         42801c7449ff097 device

4. Now use the following command to make a backup copy of all the system apps on your phone
    Code:
     adb pull /system/apps C:\* destination of your choice *
    This will ensure that you can install back any app that you remove using this process and also it serves as a reference to the list of system apps. Look at the apps and make a list of apps that you want to get rid off. This (thanx to winwiz for compiling it)might help you to decide which one's are important and which are not, which one's can safely be gotten rid of and which should not be touched. Play carefully. Here is a list of apps that I have safely removed with great benefits to boot-up time, battery and overall performance.
    Dlna.apk

Dlna.odex

BuddiesNow.apk

BuddiesNow.odex

Days.apk

Days.odex

Email.apk

Email.odex

EmailWidget.apk

EmailWidget.odex

GameHub.apk

KiesAir.apk

kieswifi.apk

kieswifi.odex

Kobo.apk

MusicHub_N1.apk

MusicHub_U1.apk

PressReader.apk

ReadersHub.apk

ReadersHub.odex

SamsungApps.apk

SamsungAppsUNA3.apk

SamsungIM.apk

SamsungWidget_News.apk

SamsungWidget_News.odex

SamsungWidget_StockClock.apk

SamsungWidget_StockClock.odex

SevenEngine.apk

SnsAccountFb.apk

SnsAccountFb.odex

SnsAccountLi.odex

SnsAccountTw.odex

SnsAccountLi.apk

SnsAccountTw.apk

SnsDisclaimer.apk

SnsDisclaimer.odex

SnsImageCache.apk

SnsImageCache.odex

SnsProvider.apk

SnsProvider.odex

SocialHub.apk

SocialHub.odex

Zinio.apk

You may want to add/remove apps to/from this list.

5. Moving on, Once you have decided the apps to remove reboot into CWM recovery. Use this command to do that through adb.
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    Note: You must have an insecure boot image for this to work (See point number 2 in optional points)
    else
    use any of the common methods to boot into recovery. Use key presses or CWM Manager or do whatever, just get in to that ******g recovery.:mad::D

6. Next, Once you are into the recovery type this command in the command prompt
    Code:
    adb shell
    This will get you into the linux shell on your android device so that you can use all the linux shell commands like in a regular linux shell;)

7. You must now see a # or $ at the prompt (doesn't make a difference) indicating that now you are into the linux shell. Type the following command in the prompt.
    Code:
    mount /system
    This will load the system partition into memory so that you can play around with its contents.

8. Now to the most important step. Removing the apps. Use the following command in the prompt
    Code:
    rm /system/app/****.apk

or

Code:
    rm /system/app/****.odex

Replace **** with the name of the apk or odex file that you want to remove.:rolleyes:

Repeat the command for all the files that you want to get rid off.
    Note: Remember to press enter after each command:p

9. Once you have finished removing all the bloatware just type
    Code:
     exit
    in the prompt. Thats it.
    Reboot! (You may use
    Code:
    adb reboot
    for that purpose).
    You will now be greeted with a faster performing, responsive, battery conserving and most importantly a bloatware free phone.:):good:

10. Thank me if this helped and don't hesitate to ask questions.:p;)

As a supplementary note I would like to recommend this app [Requires Root]. Once installed use its corpse finder feature to eliminate all the left over files belonging to the bloatware apps that we just removed. It is as easy as Search and Clean. This will free up more space in your system partition.

Troubleshooting:
    Q. I removed Kies Air using the method above but it is still present in the app drawer. What to do?

Ans: This happens if you have updated Kies Air through the play store.
    Go to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications
    Scroll down to Kies Air --> Select it ---> Uninstall updates
    Reboot!. Thats it. Kies Air is gone for good.:p

A Very Important Note:
    I haven't tried it on a Non-Rooted phone. But I think it should work as far as you have adb working and can boot into the recovery(Stock recovery in case of Non- Rooted phones) by some means you are good to go from step number 6.. Have a list of apps to be removed before hand, speeds up the process.;)

Battery Saving Tips:
    Coming Soon.....!

its same buddy, both are same :cowboy: but this for the people who want to learn how to use ADB they can use this because this very well explained :good: ....

++##» GALAXY R «##++

I don't see any problem in doing that....but you may experience force closes if you do this when the system is online because the apps that you are removing are still running in the background. So it is better if you do it by mounting the system through recovery.:)