[UNLOCK] Unlocked bootloader

Search This thread

ffroms

Mar 8, 2009
Zadar
I just saw that and not sure (afraid) to try it yet 'couse I just got mine TFP. It will break all agreement with ASUS.
Please post any results and experiences.

mutiny

Aug 13, 2007
NYC
I just read the other threads (I should have before asking --lol) and I've come to the conclusion that right now, at least for me, it's not worth unlocking yet. Here are my reasons:

1. There are zero development on the Prime as of now, so why unlock besides to void warranty?
2. If you do unlock and knock-on-wood something happens to your Prime before we get CM9 or other roms, what do you do?
3. Unless you're a dev or someone who is fairly knowledgeable/confident in your rom-development skills, what are you going to do with your unlocked Prime?

Are there any advantages I'm missing? I'm not sure if anyone agrees with me, but that's how I feel right now. Note that I am not at all gun shy about dumping my warranty for the real good stuff. Like many here, all Android phones I've ever owned, including my entire family's Android phones and tablets (also my other tablet --a Xoom) are rooted with custom roms and recoveries.

I advised those who don't develop or don't know much about rooting to not try this. There are just too many "what-ifs" against this method. For example, what if someone comes up with a way to unlock that doesn't go through Asus? By some miracle, if that happens, everyone who uses Asus' unlock will have a very iffy device with no warranty coverage whatsoever. Just a thought.

jermaine151

Jun 19, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I just read the other threads (I should have before asking --lol) and I've come to the conclusion that right now, at least for me, it's not worth unlocking yet. Here are my reasons:

1. There are zero development on the Prime as of now, so why unlock besides to void warranty?
2. If you do unlock and knock-on-wood something happens to your Prime before we get CM9 or other roms, what do you do?
3. Unless you're a dev or someone who is fairly knowledgeable/confident in your rom-development skills, what are you going to do with your unlocked Prime?

Are there any advantages I'm missing? I'm not sure if anyone agrees with me, but that's how I feel right now. Note that I am not at all gun shy about dumping my warranty for the real good stuff. Like many here, all Android phones I've ever owned, including my entire family's Android phones and tablets (also my other tablet --a Xoom) are rooted with custom roms and recoveries.

I advised those who don't develop or don't know much about rooting to not try this. There are just too many "what-ifs" against this method. For example, what if someone comes up with a way to unlock that doesn't go through Asus? By some miracle, if that happens, everyone who uses Asus' unlock will have a very iffy device with no warranty coverage whatsoever. Just a thought.

Right this minute, it's not necessary to unlock. However, my guess is that in less than a day we'll have a ClockworkMod version for the prime and you will need an unlocked bootloader to utilize it. This will allow you to make a full backup of your device (stock) and have a good backup plan should you run into issues in the future with an OTA, etc. The roms will be coming very soon. :)

LNKNPRKFN

Dec 16, 2010
BRAMPTON
does anyon know yet what "SERVICES" they blocked with the unlock, i read somewhere a LOOOONG time ago that they were going to block certain services when they released the bootloader unlock

Bart1981

Dec 4, 2006
Utrecht
If I remeber correctly, you're not able to use google music with an unlocked bootloader, because of the DRM security.

Bart1981

Dec 4, 2006
Utrecht
ASUS’s reason for locking the bootloader was simply to comply with DRM protected content. Which a fair response. Not really something many of really are interested in any ways with services like Netflix and Google Music though.

source

Not shure though if they mean with 'comply' if you're not able to use it anymore with an unlocked bootloader.

edit:
Here's some more info about unlocking the bootloader and the DRM content.
Regarding the bootloader, the reason we chose to lock it is due to content providers' requirement for DRM client devices to be as secure as possible. ASUS supports Google DRM in order to provide users with a high quality video rental experience. Also, based on our experience, users who choose to root their devices risk breaking the system completely. However, we know there is demand in the modding community to have an unlocked bootloader. Therefore, ASUS is developing an unlock tool for that community. Please do note that if you choose to unlock your device, the ASUS warranty will be void, and Google video rental will also be unavailable because the device will be no longer protected by security mechanism.

Last edited:

malac0da13

Jun 4, 2008
Does this wipe the tablet like when unlocking the nexus?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Hawkysoft

Jul 21, 2010
Rotterdam
since some people don't do research :)

please before you start.. and if you have root

Code:
adb logcat > output.txt

when all **** is done, please upload it to a pastebin or send it to me in a private message..

p.s. you can do this when you have adb set up or in the terminal from the device itselve.

j5350

Jun 29, 2007
Now a little waiting for the custom roms and probably a proper dual boot solution with windows just for the hell of it. Things are looking great so far with CWR already a go. I love the devs here.

skaforey

Nov 5, 2009
San Diego, CA
The obvious question that I haven't seen asked yet...will it be possible to develop a tool to lock your bootloader again? If the bootloader can be unlocked with an apk file, there should at least be hope to lock it again by reversing whatever the apk did.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I did not create "it", but the unlock tool is here: link

I am really looking forward to the first ROMs :)

Right this minute, it's not necessary to unlock. However, my guess is that in less than a day we'll have a ClockworkMod version for the prime and you will need an unlocked bootloader to utilize it. This will allow you to make a full backup of your device (stock) and have a good backup plan should you run into issues in the future with an OTA, etc. The roms will be coming very soon. :)
    If you look at the warranty it does not even cover software, so its beyond me why it voids the warranty, I'm going to take it up with trading standards.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium App
    Where did i find the serial and how can i change it? I Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium