[RECOVERY][4.4.4][TWRP] TWRP 2.8.1.0 for apexqtmo

Search This thread

Gibson99

TeamApexQ is proud to release TWRP (from our OmniToad builds) for general use.

Current release: 2.7.0.0_0002

warning - newb question below (i'm not an android newbie, just new to samsungs and the relay - just bought one today)

Does anything like SafeStrap exist outside what Hash of Codes has made? I'm already familiar with most of TWRP since it's part of SafeStrap, but after having used SS on my droid4, i can't imagine going back to "just" twrp. instead of dealing with taking and restoring backups, you essentially have partitions on your phone, and at boot time you can pick which rom slot (partition) you want to boot from - yes, true dual/multi-boot, just like a PC with multiple OSes on it. check out the screenshots on that site and you'll see what i mean about rom slots.

good example: I'd been running CM11 for a while. early on during a 3000 mile road trip, GPS decided to quit working. not a problem - on the first fuel/restroom/snack stop, i rebooted, picked the stock rom slot, and within the space of a normal reboot time plus about 5 seconds, i was back up and running and gps worked normally - all done while waiting for the gas to be pumped into the car. i sure missed having the goodies that CM provided but at least i had a stable phone to use for the rest of the driving part of my trip. once i got where i was going, i rebooted back to CM and as long as i didn't need gps, i was good.

since i rely on my phone for work as well, i need to have a safety net for when a rom i'm trying goes south.

i notice that there are versions of safestrap available for some versions of the S4, as well as note 2 and 3. i know i can't simply load those onto a relay, but does anyone know what it would take to modify one of those to work on our phones?

Gibson99

ok this may sound like a stupid question, but if i have a completely clean, unrooted relay still on ICS 4.0.4, can i just put twrp on it instead of cwm during the root process?

edit: ok yes, now that i've actually used odin and rooted, i can say that yes, it was a stupid question, and yes, you can (and probably SHOULD) use twrp instead of cwm when rooting the phone.

now if only hashcode had a version of safestrap that worked on the relay, it'd be just about perfect. makes trying out new roms SOOOO much easier! just download the zip directly onto your phone, reboot into safestrap, pick a rom slot, format if needed, flash the rom, clear cache/dalvik, and you're in. need to go back to stock? reboot to recovery, activate stock rom slot, finish booting. bam - back to stock. yeah, it wastes a little space if you really don't want stock rom, but that's why it's called SAFE strap. totally worth it to me. i never use internal storage anyway - everything is on my external SD.

Last edited:

Magamo

Oct 20, 2012
New York, NY
ok this may sound like a stupid question, but if i have a completely clean, unrooted relay still on ICS 4.0.4, can i just put twrp on it instead of cwm during the root process?

edit: ok yes, now that i've actually used odin and rooted, i can say that yes, it was a stupid question, and yes, you can (and probably SHOULD) use twrp instead of cwm when rooting the phone.

now if only hashcode had a version of safestrap that worked on the relay, it'd be just about perfect. makes trying out new roms SOOOO much easier! just download the zip directly onto your phone, reboot into safestrap, pick a rom slot, format if needed, flash the rom, clear cache/dalvik, and you're in. need to go back to stock? reboot to recovery, activate stock rom slot, finish booting. bam - back to stock. yeah, it wastes a little space if you really don't want stock rom, but that's why it's called SAFE strap. totally worth it to me. i never use internal storage anyway - everything is on my external SD.

There's a Recovery flashable update zip of every piece of the Stock system for the apexqtmo. Switching back to stock without this SafeStrap isn't too bad. While the project sounds neat, I'm not personally going to be doing that undertaking. Also, from what you were saying before, it involves repartitioning the device, which, with Samsung's bootloader can be a very quick way of bricking it unless you're very, very careful.

Gibson99

There's a Recovery flashable update zip of every piece of the Stock system for the apexqtmo. Switching back to stock without this SafeStrap isn't too bad. While the project sounds neat, I'm not personally going to be doing that undertaking. Also, from what you were saying before, it involves repartitioning the device, which, with Samsung's bootloader can be a very quick way of bricking it unless you're very, very careful.

it is't a true partition. it's just some big files stored on either sdcard, with hooks in the bootloader (or hijacks, in the case of motorola's locked bootloaders) that tell it to boot and run from that blob. probably similar to a vmdk (virtual machine's virtual disk file).

i'll have to play with it more but i'm sure i can get used to doing things differently... use twrp to make a backup of the custom rom, wipe, restore previous backup of stock, reboot without wiping... it'll take longer but that's life i guess.

flip3601

Jan 2, 2011
I have an odd issue with my twrp. It isn't recognizing my extsd so I can't install ROMs like liquid smooth or carbon. How can I fix that? Cuz I'm on slimkat now but the camera isn't working. Ty in advance 4 any help

sent from my Beanstalk S3

reaper000

Aug 3, 2009
OnePlus 9
I have an odd issue with my twrp. It isn't recognizing my extsd so I can't install ROMs like liquid smooth or carbon. How can I fix that? Cuz I'm on slimkat now but the camera isn't working. Ty in advance 4 any help

When you boot into TWRP, does it say unable to mount data or unable to mount system? You can tell if you tap the "script" icon in between the home and back icons. (Tap it again to return to the main TWRP menu)

If it's unable to mount data, then take a look at my post here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52303186

If it's system, go to advanced and select reboot into recovery.

Keep in mind that I'm running a N5, not a Relay 4G on these posts but the principles ought to be the same...

Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

flip3601

Jan 2, 2011
When you boot into TWRP, does it say unable to mount data or unable to mount system? You can tell if you tap the "script" icon in between the home and back icons. (Tap it again to return to the main TWRP menu)

If it's unable to mount data, then take a look at my post here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52303186

If it's system, go to advanced and select reboot into recovery.

Keep in mind that I'm running a N5, not a Relay 4G on these posts but the principles ought to be the same...

Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanx 4 the info reaper. Since twrp couldn't read my SD I had 2 revert back 2 cwm 6.0.4.4. Its actually my nephews phone but when I see him again I'll check if that works. He should b good 4 now we got slimkat on it atm.

Magamo

Oct 20, 2012
New York, NY
New build posted in the OP. v 2.7.1.0_0002 big change is that if partition 1 of the external SD card, and USB OTG do not exist, it will also attempt to mount the base block device. This should alleviate issues for those of you who were previously unable to use your SD Cards and USB flash drives without reformatting.

Magamo

Oct 20, 2012
New York, NY
New release available in the OP - 2.7.1.0_0003

This release includes support for Android 4.1+ style encryption for /data
(Thanks to LT for providing the testing and patch for this)

Reactions: falle21

robuser007

Jan 7, 2010
Can anyone compile the new version?

What's new in 2.8.0.0:

Add MTP support to recovery thanks mostly to bigbiff with a little help from Dees_Troy
Add command line capabilities - you can now execute various TWRP features via adb instead of the touchscreen
Add support for color in the console and give error, warning, and highlight lines different colors
Track backup and restore progress based on file sizes to provide a much more accurate indication of progress
Improve handling of /misc thanks to mdmower
Improve setting of time on Qualcomm devices thanks to [NUT]
Allow using images on slidervalue GUI objects thanks to Tassadar
Allow using variables and addition and subtraction in variables for easier theming
Add support for 1440x2560, 280x280, and 320x320 resolutions and update 240x240
Allow ui.xml file to include additional xml files to help break up the theme and make TWRP easier to maintain
Other minor fixes and improvements

yohan4ws

Oct 23, 2012
Calgary
if at all possible, if we could have a working usb mass mode that'd be handy.... had an issue when i factory wiped a bit ago (from stock firmware) and overlooked that it wiped the contents of the internal SD .. there went a year worth of photo's i never bothered to sync, couldnt run any low level file recovery software off of windows either :(

Gibson99

ouch. i feel your pain. and i hate the cloud services that try to lock you in even though they may offer handy services like auto-backup.

what i think would be REALLY awesome would be safestrap. it basically makes your phone dual/multi-boot. it's available for the s4, s4active and a couple others, but it looks like hashcode hasn't done any work on it in a while, so he may be out of the game or something. can't blame him - developing can be a tireless, thankless job.

Top Liked Posts