USB Host mode driver for Galaxy Wonder

Search This thread

pepoluan

Jul 31, 2012
Jakarta
how do you know galaxy w has peripheral only transciever and galaxy mini has both!??

Because:

1. Had this phone had a USB OTG Transceiver, Samsung would have trumpeted it since the beginning.

2. NO review ever mentioned USB OTG.

3. Before ICS came out from Arco68, there has been *lots* of gifted devs, *none* produced a ROM with OTG support, even when Samsung has released the W's source code.

4. Apps capable of detecting whether USB OTG Controller (combination of chipset *and* transceiver) exists all declared that USB OTG capability does not exist.

5. There has been ZERO reports of anyone connecting a USB Flash Disk to the W, while some people reported that the Mini can read USB Flash Disks.

Final words: If USB OTG is 'oh so very very important' for you, sell your W and buy another phone capable of USB OTG.

-- Sent from a GT-I8150 running ICS perfectly well. F'U, Sams#!t --

farisnanosoft

Dec 26, 2012
Because:

1. Had this phone had a USB OTG Transceiver, Samsung would have trumpeted it since the beginning.

2. NO review ever mentioned USB OTG.

3. Before ICS came out from Arco68, there has been *lots* of gifted devs, *none* produced a ROM with OTG support, even when Samsung has released the W's source code.

4. Apps capable of detecting whether USB OTG Controller (combination of chipset *and* transceiver) exists all declared that USB OTG capability does not exist.

5. There has been ZERO reports of anyone connecting a USB Flash Disk to the W, while some people reported that the Mini can read USB Flash Disks.

Final words: If USB OTG is 'oh so very very important' for you, sell your W and buy another phone capable of USB OTG.

learning doesnot mean otg is essential..telling things without any validity(no proof) is not that good..and your last sentence feels like the words that ends up in yahoo answers..
i asked for proof just bcs i saw this document and nothing more http://depositfiles.com/files/wi3z1uhee
in that you can see usb switching ic mentioned fsa9280a..have a look on its datasheet..the zip file is the service manual containing every details about i8150..its internal circuit block diag,repairing provided by samsung

Last edited:

Abdulshamseer

Jun 20, 2012
Pepoluan, you don't know anything.telling everything without knowing anything. copying from other forums and just pasting here.
farisnanosoft,he was just researching about USB host .as a senior developer you have to encourage him.but you're misbihaving.
if we have enough money we will not wait even for ice cream sandwich or jelly bean.we will buy galaxy note 2 or something support every features.
you have to help the developers .but you're show off about by telling you know everything.
we members are shamed of you..
:( :( :(

pepoluan

Jul 31, 2012
Jakarta
Okay, first I apologize if my words offend anyone.

Second, if indeed the W has a proper OTG Transceiver, then I'm willing to be corrected.

I'll now just stay silent re: USB Host Mode / USB OTG.

Abdulshamseer

Jun 20, 2012

Second, if indeed the W has a proper OTG Transceiver, then I'm willing to be corrected.

sorry.I am not irritating you.
we want help from you pepoluan.
you are the senior developer. we need help from you.as you're the kernel and some other software developer. so you must help the Wonder user

Last edited:

7amada100

May 11, 2012
Ontario, Toronto
sorry.I am not irritating you.
we want help from you pepoluan.
you are the senior developer. we need help from you.as you're the kernel and some other software developer. so you must help the Wonder user

Sorry from the start if the following words offend you because i just had to reply

Firstly, the wonder "DOESN'T" support the required drivers and hardware to have USB OTG, it is Samsung choice so stop blaming the guy just because he it trying to help!

secondly, you say that Pep doesn't know anything?? he helped to improve seeders and many other things!! he is one of the most important people in this forum, why not go learn some basic stuff before replying, ha? let's start with normal xda forum rules: no post duplicating and you posted your request like 5+ times!!!

Then you say he "MUST" help the Wonder user, you do realize that XDA is a place for people doing "FREE" jobs and if others like them they could donate, so the main purpose is to do it for "FREE" and if he wants to stop opening xda tomorrow he could but he will be missed by many people.

the main idea and conclusions:

1- Stop requesting this because it CANNOT be done!!

2- Respect the members and you just can't go to anyone and tell him that he doesn't know anything especially when he is well known in the forum to be one of the best!!
3- no one here HAS TO/MUST help others we are doing it for the good, for nothing and just to make others happier. quick example Arco did his work to help others not because he was ordered to do it.

I did not post this because of hatred, i did that because i wanted to stand for a friend

farisnanosoft

Dec 26, 2012

sorry i didn't expect this and i respect senior members..if W doesnot have the thing mentioned in the topic i am concluding..
sorry for elonging this and making others disrespect you..we always need you..thanks!

hadidjapri

Sep 19, 2012
Depok
OnePlus 7 Pro
Samsung Galaxy S22
hey guys i'm not meaning to off topic or something but, why don't we wait for any confirmation from maybe arco?
i don't know OTG will be available or not but i see usb otg feature on kernel menuconfig. i can't confirm the hardware can support this feature or not. i can only confirm that OTG feature is exist on arco's kernel menuconfig

Last edited:

hotheabilly

May 24, 2012
padang
I can't stand this but yes I was wondering too if wonder had the OTG support, as you can see in CM10 A3 with kernel 3 by arco, there's usb disk inside storage folder and I think the phone can support limited to usbdisk, so I asking to arco:

butter is pretty hell smooth :D
can't wait this become perfecto

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

eh arco, I notice something on vold.fstab. kernel 3.0.53 support usb host?
a9ezuhub.jpg

and he replied:

It's not on my github yet. Those sources are only for ICS. For Jelly Bean I use a different branch which I'm still working on.

Don't know. I just added it just in case. :)

See first post for changelog, and then read "Annoyances" at the top.

so let the time answer this ;)

farisnanosoft

Dec 26, 2012
Finally someone had enabled it in kernel!..Available in latest Cm10 alpha7 by arco68.I do appreciate his grt wrk and those who supported.

hepi_hape

Mar 16, 2013
it seems none have reported for OTG..
still waiting for report :D

(baytheway,i dont have otg cable ..haha)

ozgurakman

Jun 20, 2012
Balıkesir
I can plug keyboard and mouse to my wonder with cm10 alpha7.
but any flash sticks, card readers and externals not working. any idea?
p.s:I added an power cord to otg cable, result is same. (before power cord, none of devices working. its normal.)

edit:
I hooked an external powered usb hub and plugged usb stick. it works :)
2tb external drive works with paragon ntfs mounter after some config...
what I did:
-mounted the ext.drive
-opened es file explorer, created "directory_name" directory
-launched the paragon app
-dismounted and tapped "mount..." button
- tapped "choose mount point manually..." button
-selected /storage/directory_name
-tapped select button
-minimized the app with home button

if you like this, please use thanks button. sorry for my bad english

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    mini dnt hav otg capability..both galaxy w and mini supports usb 2.0 hs host or peripheral...read this doc
    https://developer.qualcomm.com/sites/default/files/snapdragon-specs.pdf
    !

Yeh, and that doc also states that the 8255 supports 12MP camera and Bluetooth 4.0 - but the Galaxy W doesn't have those either!!!
    the doc says chipset supports cam upto 12 and w has 5mp and those are external but host controller is inside the chipset!

Look, if you (or anyone) wants to develop a driver to flip the MSM8255 to Host Mode, no one will prevent you/him/her from doing it.

However, all drivers *must* be tested.

Now, since the W lacks the proper wiring ... how the heck can a developer test if the driver works or not?

And a slight correction: the USB component in the MSM8255 is *not* a controller; it's a microprocessor able to process the Host-side protocols. The controller is the combination of microprocessor + transceiver... and the W has a peripheral-only transceiver, not a switchable transceiver.

Please, READ the following article in its entirety: http://www.maximintegrated.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/1822

Let me quote the conclusion of the article:

Three additions make the transceiver OTG compatible:
    1. Switchable pull-up and pull-down resistors on D+/D- to allow peripheral or host functionality.
    2. Circuitry to monitor and supply 5V power on VBUS as an A-Device, and to monitor and pulse VBUS as a B-Device initiating SRP.
    3. An ID input pin, which is made available as an output to the ASIC.
    For this system to operate as a dual-role OTG device, the ASIC, DSP, or whatever is connected to the transceiver must be capable both of functioning as a peripheral or host, and of switching roles on-the-fly as a result of HNP.

The MSM8255 is "the ASIC, DSP, or whatever" part. The transceiver is yet another part. MSM8255 + USB OTG transceiver = USB OTG DRD Controller.