[Xposed][HACK] Workaround for Netflix on CM10.1 - All Exynos4 devices

Search This thread

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Not if I'm running cm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Back when I was still with CM, both the 2012 and 2013 Nexus 7 had no trouble running Netflix without any hacks/modifications.

Same goes for flo and omni now - if Netflix is busted on the Nexus 7, CM broke it, and it has nothing to do with this particular workaround.

nuxbag

Aug 19, 2009
Sliver Spring, MD
Back when I was still with CM, both the 2012 and 2013 Nexus 7 had no trouble running Netflix without any hacks/modifications.

Same goes for flo and omni now - if Netflix is busted on the Nexus 7, CM broke it, and it has nothing to do with this particular workaround.

I know cm is responsible, and that's what I wanted to know. Thanks

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

SonjaMichelle

Apr 10, 2014
Jacksonville Beach
I installed the module and now NetFlix logs in. However when I play a video I only get audio. I saw mention of this a few posts back. Is there a solution?

Sent from my K00C using XDA Premium HD app

swc2001

Dec 9, 2010
Well I am trying to get Netflix to play on liquid smooth the Nook Tablet Version.... Rom found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2750506
I tried Every legacy Netflix app I could get my hands on. Then I found this Xsposed module for cm10.... I was like well crap. I will give it a try.
I tried it and it got me further into the app than I had ever gone.... Actually it played the Shows..... Audio only no Video.
Anybody have any suggestions for me? :(

IIIOZZYIII

Dec 8, 2014
Worked great using latest Netflix version from Play Store

SPH-L900 Dirty Unicorns v8.2 KK 4.4.4

Last edited:

Niksie

May 13, 2007
Almelo
Thank you!!

I just wanna thank whoever made this, my N9005 had serious LipSync Issues. This made it go away.

Device N9005
ROM: MultiX v2.6
Kernel: Lean kernel 3.15

p.chi

Jan 2, 2011
I have a NookColor that was sitting around collecting dust. Decided to install CM10.2.1 and bring some new life into this old Tablet. I tried installing Netflix but it didn't work. Noticed Netflix updated yesterday but it still didn't work. I already had Xposed installed so after following the straight forward instructions in post 1, all is working well. Thank you !

Last edited:

MrCrc

Jul 26, 2007
Hello,

it works on N5110 under latest CM12.1-nightly (15/08/05) / xposed v69.
Thanks - my daughter is now happy again...

Crc

wirelesskebab

Mar 2, 2016
I don't understand, netflix will not play anything without this module on my samsung galaxy tab s2 once it has permissive kernel and has been rooted, even when root is hidden! There should not be any changes to the video player! Why does this work?! Thanks by the way.

It doesn't appear to be play HD however.

Last edited:

wirelesskebab

Mar 2, 2016
Is this still working for anyone on marshmallow with xposed v85.1 with newest netflix? I think maybe changes to xposed may have caused this to stop working, it worked fine before MM and updating xposed to 85.1.

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is an Xposed module (See http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1574401 for more on Xposed) that allows Netflix to work on CM10.1 on Exynos4 devices.

Source code is at https://github.com/Entropy512/XposedNetflixWorkaround - Use the Android Developer Tools Eclipse package to build it

To install:
    Install the Xposed Installer APK from the thread linked above
    Install the Xposed framework using Xposed Installer
    Install the APK linked in this post
    Reboot your device after enabling the module in Xposed Installer
    Enjoy Netflix
    How does this work?

For whatever reason, Netflix uses its own player, called JPlayer, if it detects that it is running on Android 4.2. For whatever reason, JPlayer does NOT like the current video subsystem in CM10.1 on Exynos4 devices.

What this module does is make Netflix always think that it is running on ICS, which will make it use what appears to be the system OMX player. (I'm not entirely sure of this, but I am sure that it is NOT JPlayer and it DOES work on all of my devices I've tested).

This is an interim workaround/hack until the root cause of JPlayer failing on Exynos4 devices can be determined. (Edit: From talking with a few people, JPlayer is replacing a number of components of Android's playback framework. This includes components that have been altered for Exynos4 compatibility.)

DO NOT REPORT THIS ISSUE IN CYANOGENMOD JIRA. No affected devices are receiving M or stable builds and this is one of the many reasons.
    Would you mind my putting up a post with link to this on the Nook Color forum. having the same problem there and this works great. Even better is then running Liquid64's zip to make it persist past updating nightly rom. Will of course give you, kaepernick and Liquid64 the credit. Just want to help others find the Info.
    Just for reference, my zip file does not rely on the xposed modules. It is just an init.d script that changes the nflx_player_type value. There's also an addon.d script that backs up the init.d script in the event there is a firmware upgrade.
    I guess is anyone is interested in looking at there, here it is:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n554p9bzb68iayd/IVoGtWj8cW
    The addon.d script can be adapted to also back up the exposed modules, as Entropy512 had suggested above.
    Here is the modification I made. My nfxpref.xml already had nflx_player_type set to 10 already, so I made a single sed line which modified it to 6. Everything else is the same. The flashable zips I made work fine for my i777. I can post them here, if that's ok. I'd rather not break any forum rules though, if I should not. Thanks for everyone for figuring out all of the hard stuff, ;)
    Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh

if [ -f /data/data/com.netflix.mediaclient/shared_prefs/nfxpref.xml ]; then
      sed -i -e 's|<int name="nflx_player_type" value="10" />|<int name="nflx_player_type" value="6" />|g' /data/data/com.netflix.mediaclient/shared_prefs/nfxpref.xml
      grep -q nflx_player_type /data/data/com.netflix.mediaclient/shared_prefs/nfxpref.xml && exit 0
      cp /data/data/com.netflix.mediaclient/shared_prefs/nfxpref.xml /data/data/com.netflix.mediaclient/shared_prefs/nfxpref.xml.orig && sed -e 's|</map>|<int name="nflx_player_type" value="6" />\n</map>|g' /data/data/com.netflix.mediaclient/shared_prefs/nfxpref.xml.orig > /data/data/com.netflix.mediaclient/shared_prefs/nfxpref.xml && rm /data/data/com.netflix.mediaclient/shared_prefs/nfxpref.xml.orig

fi
    reserved 2 - probably not needed