FORUMS

[GT-P6210][KERNEL][UV/OC]garyd9's GT-P6210 kernel (updated 2012-01-23)

2,644 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,751

By garyd9, Inactive Recognized Developer on 1st January 2012, 01:55 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
1st January 2012, 05:25 AM |#11  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Pittsburgh, PA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike216

I'm updating my tab in kies rite now before I flash this kernel. Your kernel should work fine? I know we can't update in kies once clockwork recovery is installed but I was wondering if kies will still recognize that I have a firmware update?

Probably, but I didn't try it. Let us know how it works out.
1st January 2012, 06:58 AM |#12  
Flag cleveland
Thanks Meter: 1,071

More
Thanks Gary! Recovery is up and running and even made a nandroid. I located it to make sure everything worked (took a really long time). I see your framework zip wipes the dalvik cache and I was wondering if we have to wipe both caches before flashing the kernel? Thanks for your development! Much appreciated

Sent from my GT-P6210 using xda premium
1st January 2012, 07:03 AM |#13  
Flag cleveland

More
Just flashed and it feels very smooth so far thanks!

Sent from my GT-P6210 using xda premium
1st January 2012, 07:05 AM |#14  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Pittsburgh, PA

More
Quote:

I see your framework zip wipes the dalvik cache and I was wondering if we have to wipe both caches before flashing the kernel?

What framework are you referring to? I try very hard to make the stuff I do "self contained", so if a cache should be wiped, it either gets wiped automatically, or there's a message displayed telling you to do it manually.

In context of this thread, there's no need to wipe any caches before installing this kernel.

Perhaps your question is in reference to something in another thread?
1st January 2012, 08:26 AM |#15  
Flag cleveland

More
It was always a big suggested instruction on wiping both the cache and dalvik cache when installing roms and other things on my nexus s and vibrant so just thought it would be the same on my tablet

BEST DAMN PHONE/TABLET BECAUSE WE HAVE THE BEST DAMN DEVELOPERS!
1st January 2012, 08:28 AM |#16  
Flag cleveland

More
The framework zip I was talking about was the flashable zip you put together for the theme here in the development section.

1st January 2012, 04:12 PM |#17  
Flag Kalamazoo
Thanks Meter: 266

More
Quote:

It was always a big suggested instruction on wiping both the cache and dalvik cache when installing roms and other things on my nexus s and vibrant so just thought it would be the same on my tablet

A kernel is not a ROM, two totally different things and you don't need to wipe to install one. An easy explanation of the difference is a kernel is what runs the hardware (cpu, memory, etc.) and a ROM is just a UI (user interface).

With ROMs the general concensus on wiping is you need to do a full system wipe as well as wipe the dalvik cache if you are switching between ROMs, say from ROM A to ROM B but do not need to wipe if it's just an incremental update say ROM A to ROM A.1 unless advised to do so by the dev.
The Following User Says Thank You to kzoodroid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kzoodroid Ad-Free
1st January 2012, 05:32 PM |#18  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Arlington TX
Thanks Meter: 8,381

Donate to Me
More
Awesome work Gary. If I had the knowledge to do this I would. Tab feels great.

Just glad to see some little development finally kicking off.

Sent from my ICS'd themed Galaxy Tab 7+
1st January 2012, 06:01 PM |#19  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,477

Donate to Me
More
Glad you finally got things working.

Closed-source modules piss me off... Module versioning enforcement can get even some of the best devs (netarchy and I kept missing each other on IRC, it took a week before we figured out why his Infuse kernels wouldn't boot.)

Samsung is good about releasing kernel source in a timely fashion, but they SUCK at fixing broken source releases.

(Edit: WTF? They included BCM4330 source code in your release but NOT the Atheros 6k drivers?)

Edit: This might be useful, not sure - http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath6kl
1st January 2012, 07:14 PM |#20  
Flag cleveland

More
After lots of testing I do find its a little quicker! Don't know if its placebo but it sure feels fast. Nice work Gary. Recovery working great but the only odd thing I noticed was how long it took to do a nandroid backup. For a minute there I thought it froze up. All is good thought

1st January 2012, 08:00 PM |#21  
Flag Richmond, VA
Thanks Meter: 739

More
Is there any way to get ad hoc WiFi support in this kernel?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)