FORUMS

[FIX]Fix external SD Card permissions (updated 2012-02-05)

2,644 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,751

By garyd9, Inactive Recognized Developer on 22nd January 2012, 03:03 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th January 2012, 10:18 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Smile
It's work for P6200
28th January 2012, 09:59 AM |#12  
Flag manila
Thanks Meter: 75

More
thank you gary it worked for me!!!
29th January 2012, 08:28 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Still the same hier, it worked for me :)
P6200
30th January 2012, 10:10 AM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Tested! It works for galaxy tab 7.0 Plus P6200,
nice work garyd9

Sent from my GT-P6200 using xda premium
30th January 2012, 10:06 PM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd9

It should, but I haven't tested it. It shouldn't cause any harm, however, so feel free to try it.

It does not work on non-root P6210.
30th January 2012, 10:30 PM |#16  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Pittsburgh, PA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightxda

It does not work on non-root P6210.

That doesn't make sense. What leads you to believe that it didn't work? Which program/option isn't working how you expect (and how do you expect it to work?) (sorry for all the questions, but if I can't repeat exactly what you are experiencing, I can't really help you.)

Do you have some kind of file explorer installed? If so, please browse to /system/etc/permissions and view the "platform.xml" file. Scroll down to find the line with "WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE". There should be two lines below that that start with "<group gid". One should have the string "media_rw" and the other "sdcard_rw". If so, then the fix DID apply properly.

"root" shouldn't matter for this...
31st January 2012, 12:34 AM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
There is no change to the "platform.xml" after I installed the .zip under the recovery though it shows install completed. I even repeated it twice. It fails when I use ES file explorer to create a folder in ext. SD Card.

Then I rooted the device and manually modified the "platform.xml" (added the <group gid="media_rw" />), and it works now.
31st January 2012, 05:51 PM |#18  
Flag Agde (France)
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Yes I done the same after root, but I have to change the attribut ( sorry I' french) of "platform.xml" with Root explorer to write before (long press on the name), then I access to "platform.xml" with es file explorer to add the code line, save the file and reboot. and it works now (for model 6210)

"platform.xml" is at system/etc/permissions/

add

</permission name=android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
<group gid="media_rw" />
</permission>
1st February 2012, 07:20 PM |#19  
Flag Pittsburgh, PA

More
Okay, if the attributes of the file aren't allowing writing, then I'm obviously not allowing for that in the package. It seemed like a reasonable assumption that the file was writable, being that it worked for so many people...

I wonder why samsung isn't being consistant with the file permissions. Well, that's something I can probably fix in an update. Not a big deal to change perms on a file.

(It's also not a high priority, as this is working for the majority of people without me tinkering with file permissions.)

take care
Gary
2nd February 2012, 07:38 AM |#20  
Flag Manila
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I have a P6200, no root and using stock recovery as of this writing.

I had a P6210 and I was able to fix External SD Card writing on it manually.

I tried the .zip in this thread and it didn't work on my P6200.
I am thinking it didn't because my device is either rooted, or using stock recovery.

I will root and perhaps install CWM, and test further.

My test was using ES Explorer to create a new directory in the SD card. It couldn't, so I'm pretty sure the fix didn't work with my particular configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd9

That doesn't make sense. What leads you to believe that it didn't work? Which program/option isn't working how you expect (and how do you expect it to work?) (sorry for all the questions, but if I can't repeat exactly what you are experiencing, I can't really help you.)

Do you have some kind of file explorer installed? If so, please browse to /system/etc/permissions and view the "platform.xml" file. Scroll down to find the line with "WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE". There should be two lines below that that start with "<group gid". One should have the string "media_rw" and the other "sdcard_rw". If so, then the fix DID apply properly.

"root" shouldn't matter for this...

Wait... how can you get into /system/etc/permissions if you haven't rooted the device? I was of the impression that you can only access that directory if you are rooted. I certainly can't get there.

I was able to on my P6210 when it was rooted.
3rd February 2012, 05:12 PM |#21  
Flag Pittsburgh, PA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochan

Wait... how can you get into /system/etc/permissions if you haven't rooted the device? I was of the impression that you can only access that directory if you are rooted. I certainly can't get there.

When a device is "rooted", it's something that happens during normal boots. "Recovery" is a completely different mode of booting and has completely different rules.

That's why 'recovery' can be used to root the device (writing 'su' to the /system/bin directory) and can also be used to completely overwrite partitions (such as is done with the CWM Recovery installer and my kernel installer.)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)