FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

An interesting observation - SE using cat-string theory as its main business practice

396 posts
Thanks Meter: 6

By Nocturnal310, Senior Member on 18th January 2011, 02:15 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
i am a business management student...so i thought of sharing my perspective over how Sony Ericsson is playing the smartphone game...

by exagerrating a lot before the product launch ...and after the launch..giving small doses of updates so customers dont change phone in the hope of getting new features.

think of it..

they build great hype for a product months before the launch by strong advertising (probably spending more on ads than R&D itself) , promising a revolutionary interface with ground breaking custom interfaces....X panels for X1 (remember?) and timescape/mediascape (biggest garbage) for X10 ..both over-ambitious

just so they can differentiate from other companies..

ya they have great product design.. which initially attracts impulse buyers...they build anticipation...so we cant wait to get our hands on their phone!

and then they finally launch the product which will NEVER have the latest updates because their entire focus was on marketing the product i.e bringing it to market before competition and capturing market share.

they never really focussed on industry shaking R&D like Apple..c'mon without Apple, touchscreen was a dead market.

and without Android...Apple had a monopoly.

This is revolution....not timescape or mediascape..which are my least favourite apps...battery sucking with extremely slow response rates.

then they ll keep launching small small updates over couple of months...more like over a year...adding little features..so we dont change brand loyalty....giving the wounded customers a faint vision of hope...

finally they release a small update and the entire community goes 'wow' with excitement...like a virgin getting his first blowjob.

by that time..the phone has suffered scratches, has started showing signs of wear..which means very low re-sale value.

and meanwhile announcement for newer model is made...slimmer, sexier with more bugs which will be fixed via update over the next upcoming year.

good strategy for a short-term profit making....but they are losing brand loyalty.

i am not gonna buy SE Xperia Arc...ya its the sexiest phone on the market.

but its like a hot model u bang and can never have a healthy relationship with...coz she is dumb and full of flaws on the inside...such as daddy issues etc.

/rant

its like they keep us jumping over small small updates like a cat does to a string which the master will never let it catch.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nocturnal310 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nocturnal310 Ad-Free
18th January 2011, 03:04 AM |#2  
Flag Buried deep inside my mind
Thanks Meter: 74

More
but its like a hot model u bang and can never have a healthy relationship with...coz she is dumb and full of flaws on the inside...such as daddy issues etc.

epic comment

well it's true and from your perspective which one is better?

i know getting a big income is the main focus of any company but hey customers loyalty also counts. it's something i hate from sony in general, they keep pushing new tech every year and let the customer to feel outdated
18th January 2011, 03:32 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Epic thread.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App
18th January 2011, 04:19 AM |#4  
Flag Suffolk
Thanks Meter: 47

More
Couldn't have said it better myself, spot on mate!

Swyped from my ZDZ Froyo X10i
18th January 2011, 05:27 AM |#5  
Flag Cold Lake
Thanks Meter: 802

More
bang on, while i am happy with my x10 as it was my first droid comming from a long **** list of wm devices, i am also not going to be sticking with se, already contemplating the droid 2 global, yes se makes sexy phones but, im looking for something a little more with my next device.

Sent from my X10i using XDA App
18th January 2011, 06:33 AM |#6  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Funny thread

so what do you think about HTC's strategy with Desire ( Desire/HD/Z )

Just because they released a better handset after a year of the previous handset's release it doesn't mean that they do not care about brand loyalty...

so what? you want them to stick with the X10 for two years while other competitors advance with technology????

believe it or not, many will buy the ARC, even more that who bought the X10...

Next time, go buy an HTC or Motorola

and by the way, Samsung is locking their bootloader so do not buy a Samsung android so you won't end up whining like many here about unlocking it, unless you like samsung

but despite all that, I would like to thank you for the effort made by you to explain what many of us are not aware of.. it's a good practice for your uni
good luck mate with your studies
18th January 2011, 09:17 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal310

i am a business management student...so i thought of sharing my perspective over how Sony Ericsson is playing the smartphone game...

by exagerrating a lot before the product launch ...and after the launch..giving small doses of updates so customers dont change phone in the hope of getting new features.

Well, I wish you luck with the business management, since your management of the English language makes me want to punch babies in the stomach.

Also, replace "Sony Ericsson" with every technology company ever and you have a point.

/thread
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iead1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iead1 Ad-Free
18th January 2011, 09:31 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iead1

Well, I wish you luck with the business management, since your management of the English language makes me want to punch babies in the stomach.

Also, replace "Sony Ericsson" with every technology company ever and you have a point.

/thread

Grammar and syntax of the English language is not the point of XDA in MHO...

Very well written, kudos to you Nocturnal310...
18th January 2011, 10:26 AM |#9  
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 20

More
@Nocturnal310:

Of course you're right. But as someone said before, you could say this about any company producing technical stuff and you would be right as well. (I expect some very negative comments on what I'm about to say...). I understand your point, but I just don't think that SE is somehow different in their approach from any other company producing consumer goods (is that right? stuff which are bought in great numbers just to be replaced by newer models...you know, we have to watch out for our English, right iead1? ). Thats quite important because we just can't expect infinite support for our product, because sooner or later (the former is more probable) it will get replaced with brand new model with brand new stuff inside making it lot more attractive. The only thing we can complain about is, that the support may have last longer... thats true. But despite all of that, I'm still not changing the brand loyalty as I just dont know what else should I buy next time. I dont like Apple and their iStuff, also don't like HTCs because of how they look. Samsung is an option, but if I should choose between Samsung and SE just by looking at the phones, SE would definitely win (and with Samsung locking their bootloaders as well, I wouldn't help myself much by buying it). You may call me a hardcore fan of SE who doesn't think about what he's buying, but thats not me. I just think that X10 was an unfortunate mistake (which I personally still love!) of SE and I really hope they will learn from it for the reasons mentioned above.

Thats my opinion and I do not force anyone to share it, but I wanted to say it, because I just don't uderstand all that poeople saying how betrayed they feel by SE.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Borecz1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Borecz1 Ad-Free
18th January 2011, 12:28 PM |#10  
Flag Shiraz
Thanks Meter: 30

More
i think SE`s problem is that they don`t really know what they do,at least so far.
they use UIQ for a while then they leave it.
they use win mo,but after x1 and x2 they desided to go for android.
but now Android is very good platform and they should find their way.i hope so.
their main mistake is that they don`t care about customers and the weak points of their products.
18th January 2011, 01:27 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
I must add my mustard ...
There was a time long ago, Sony Ericsson created really nice phones with a solid build quality. My x10 is 3 weeks old and is making crazy noises when twisted a bit. The whole frame is not stiff enough.

If I saw it right on arc video presentations at youtube, the crappy timescape is now a widget and it is still choppy. This uggly blue is still there. Why blue? SE colors are Green and Orange. What a bunch of stupid designers ... I think w'll have a lot of alternatives out there with lesser crappy UI-Mods.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)